News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New Dreamcasts on Amazon.com!

Started by Gryzor, 11:29, 11 May 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Sega   Dreamcast Console
$103, shipping only to the US :(

he Dreamcast system is, in a word, awesome. Fire up Soul Calibur,   and instantly you'll appreciate that the graphics and gameplay are even   better than in the arcade version. And Sonic Adventure, with its   light-speed gameplay, is sure to wow even the most jaded gamer.    It's amazing that such a small machine (it's about the size of your   mouse pad) can deliver such incredible performance. Chalk it up to   superior engineering. Dreamcast's only downside is that it comes with   only one controller and a demo disc. In order to truly take advantage of   Dreamcast's capabilities, we recommend outfitting the controller with a   Jump Pack and a Visual Memory Unit. Getting one or more extra   controllers is also a good idea, because some of the best Dreamcast   games support up to four players at once.
   Why it's so cool: 

• Ultramodern components: Custom-made video, audio, and   processor technology blows away the Nintendo 64 and PlayStation and puts   Dreamcast in the same league as PS2 and XBox.
  • Integrated   modem: In another video-game first, Dreamcast comes with a 56K   modem. Use your regular Internet service provider and the separately   sold keyboard to access e-mail, shopping, and the World Wide Web. Not   only can you upload high scores, participate in chat discussions, and   download updates and enhancements for your games, but, through a   membership to the SegaNet Internet service provider, you can play Quake   III Arena, NFL 2K1, and other games against Dreamcast owners   over the Internet.
  • The Visual Memory Unit (VMU): More   than just a memory card, the VMU is a miniature portable game system   that fits inside a controller--so its LCD screen is easily seen by you   but hidden from your opponent.
  • All-in-one entertainment:   It plays games. It plays audio CDs. It connects to the Internet and   lets you browse the Web or e-mail friends. Our note to the   cost-conscious: If you have a Dreamcast system, you just don't need a   separate CD player or a separate computer. Dreamcast does it all, and   does it well.

Bryce

You can buy a used one in very good condition through Amazon Germany starting at about €40. Not sure where they ship to though.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B00004TNCW/sr=8-1/qid=1273575978/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=1273575978&sr=8-1&seller=&colid=&condition=used

Bryce.

Gryzor

No, that's not the same thing. I'm not talking about Amazon users' shops selling units, I'm talking about *Amazon*, itself, putting new units on the market. Quite different, since various users are the same as ebay or whatever...

redbox

Amazon aren't selling them directly, the actual consoles come from their 'preferred partners' or whatever they call them - see here.

You're right though, the Dreamcast was awesome.  :)

Gryzor

This comes through Toywiz, and in some aspect it's as if you're buying from Amazon. It's not the same as these other sellers...

As for the Dreamcast being awesome, I know I've spent much more time on it than on any other console. And I didn't even own it when it was released! O! the hours I've spent playing Puyo Pop Fever versus my girlfriend... or REZ for that matter!

ukmarkh

Bout time the Dreamcast got some love from this forum... I still have mine, still play it and still love it. I don't think there's a finer racing game than ferrari F355 challenge on any other console. And the CPC emulation is really good, as you can use the keyboard.

robcfg

Rez rules!

Ahhh, the Dreamcast had so many good games...  :o

I still play with my DC and also managed to get a Katana DevKit.

Octoate

I also regularly use my Dreamcast to play Crazy Taxi or Rez. Really great games :). I also own a coders cable and programmed some small test programs for it, but never got really into the KallistiOS. It was fun anyway and it's a shame that this great console was the end for Sega's console development.
--

Gryzor

It's such a shame (SHAME!) that the lightgun won't work with my 100Hz CRT TV. I'm just DYING to play House of the Dead... :(

@UKmarkh: yeah, about time, but then again general retro talk was never banned on this forum :) That's why we have an Off-topic sub-forum, and if the need arises we could always create another section for Other Systems...

ukmarkh

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:18, 11 May 10
It's such a shame (SHAME!) that the lightgun won't work with my 100Hz CRT TV. I'm just DYING to play House of the Dead... :(

@UKmarkh: yeah, about time, but then again general retro talk was never banned on this forum :) That's why we have an Off-topic sub-forum, and if the need arises we could always create another section for Other Systems...

Gryzor... typing of the dead is awesome on the DC, seriously check it out.

Gryzor

Typing of the dead is one of the greatest spin-offs ever, and I do have a DC keyboard too, but it's the same as playing it on my PC. The lightgun is another story altogether...