News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Just for Fun: C64 roms v2

Started by Devilmarkus, 01:53, 16 February 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

I'm also taking a look at the other files. I really like the simple file manager, the narrow font, the big font (wow) and... Arabic! Heheheh!

ZbyniuR

I'm glad you like it. :)
Some emulator have problem with proper working Caps Lock. Must be press twice or even if you change font and meaning of keys, which is fine with Shift but with Caps On is showing original meaning those keys instead new one. Really strange. Sometimes help press Ctrl+Caps.
About others files on my dsk, there's too much files. I'm planning separate narrow fonts and national fonts on 2 dsk and start new topic about it. Maybe tomorrow. Then I tell more. :)
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

Gryzor

But mate, all these little programs and fonts, out of the blue... You should put together a little presentation or something, this deserves its own thread! :)

TFM

That's a good idea. I also can contribute a little. There is a font manager for FutureOS. That has about 30 fonts or so, dunno remember in detail. Some may be the same. It's on the Utility disc / DSK [nb](downloads in FutureOS - The revolutionary UltraOS for the CPC6128 and CPCPlus)[/nb].
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

ZbyniuR

I like idea to pretending other computers. Even if it only appearances. ;)

Who want to see anim disk from Amiga on CPC ?  run"a600

Gryzor

Pretty convincing! :D If someone incorporated it to a ROM... :D

ZbyniuR

I'm not a fan of packing everything into ROM. Because then it can be run only run by ROM-BOX holders and not by everybody.

Years ago I had a version of this image with a diskette 3", but gone. I also pulled a few wires from keyboard to FDD, and each connected in such a way to insert a disk without touching keyboard resulted appearing RUN"0

Each my floppy was staring by file "0". Some of them had Menu which responded to 0 starting file "0" again from a new disk after changed to another. Holders Commodore envied me. I didn't needed for this animated floppy disk in ROM. :D

In free time, I can do this animation with mixing Modes, to improve appearance of the letters. :)

TFM

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 06:39, 24 March 15
I'm not a fan of packing everything into ROM. Because then it can be run only run by ROM-BOX holders and not by everybody.

Everybody can get an X-MEM for 30 Euros. I love to have things in ROM which I need more often. A disc-less system is just cool!  8)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

ZbyniuR

So, you love to have things in ROM, it's fine for me. And buying is easy no doubt. But in my opinion not everybody is a handyman to figure out how to use it.
Most people likes using simple and easy things without reading instruction, like click something by mouse. I don't think it is enough ability to set ROM-BOX.

CraigsBar

With symbos and a symbiface 2 it is lol, @prodatron do you have any plans to extend the ROM setting app in symbos to include the x-mem? This would be a great enhancement since the symbiface 2 is no longer available anywhere.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 07:41, 25 March 15
So, you love to have things in ROM, it's fine for me. And buying is easy no doubt. But in my opinion not everybody is a handyman to figure out how to use it.
Most people likes using simple and easy things without reading instruction, like click something by mouse. I don't think it is enough ability to set ROM-BOX.

ROMs have the advatange of "always being there", ie: you can call a program up immediately without looking for / swapping disks etc. But it doesn't always make sense. Some things are better off on disk, others are better on ROM.
As far as technical knowledge is concerned, you don't need very much to use a ROM and starting a ROM program is usually easier than starting a program from disk.

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 07:41, 25 March 15

Ok, I see where you're driving at. Right, all that mousing around can be tedious. But for X-MEM you get good old fashioned software which is self explaining and can be used by cursor keys or numbers.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 10:29, 25 March 15
ROMs have the advatange of "always being there", ie: you can call a program up immediately without looking for / swapping disks etc. But it doesn't always make sense. Some things are better off on disk, others are better on ROM.
As far as technical knowledge is concerned, you don't need very much to use a ROM and starting a ROM program is usually easier than starting a program from disk.

Bryce.

That's right, some progs / apps are nicer on disc. And as you told, things being used more often are nice to be on ROM. It's just more efficient.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

ZbyniuR

I know what are the advantages of keeping programs in ROM.
I don't have ROM-BOX, but a little experimented on emulator, and I'm discouraged. And I think I have more patience to read about it and experiment than average person.

However, some ROMs must be in a particular slot to work well, sometimes in the same as another ROM that we need. Or we have to turn off some ROM to proper run another ROM even if it takes a different slot. And all this picking and searching for the right combination takes long minutes, much longer than run this from disk. Result is instead of getting a faster start takes us more time and nerves. And it happen too often in my opinion.

That's why I'm not a fan of ROM-BOX. I think ROMs Cartridge was good before hard drive become cheap. But now it would be better connect some fast mass storage (SD card) with a GUI. It gives you the same speed like ROMs and space for thousands program instead a few for similar price.

Oh did I mention?  No looking for disk and no switching ROMs needed. :)

CraigsBar

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 23:26, 25 March 15
I know what are the advantages of keeping programs in ROM.
I don't have ROM-BOX, but a little experimented on emulator, and I'm discouraged. And I think I have more patience to read about it and experiment than average person.

However, some ROMs must be in a particular slot to work well, sometimes in the same as another ROM that we need. Or we have to turn off some ROM to proper run another ROM even if it takes a different slot. And all this picking and searching for the right combination takes long minutes, much longer than run this from disk. Result is instead of getting a faster start takes us more time and nerves. And it happen too often in my opinion.

That's why I'm not a fan of ROM-BOX. I think ROMs Cartridge was good before hard drive become cheap. But now it would be better connect some fast mass storage (SD card) with a GUI. It gives you the same speed like ROMs and space for thousands program instead a few for similar price.

Oh did I mention?  No looking for disk and no switching ROMs needed. :)
it sounds to me like you want an xmass. But, like all other mass storage options you need a ROM to use it, so I guess you need an xmem too!
Personally I do not understand your logic 'because you found emulated romboxes clunky and unfriendly you don't like the concept.' Makes no sense to me. I am only aware of a very few ROMs (other than lower, basic and amsdos/parados) that require specific slots. OK promerge must be below protext but is that really that hard?
Productions like symbos and futureos are made to make use of mass storage but need ROMs to run properly. I think you need to review a modern ROM offering on real hardware before deciding ROMs are not for you.

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

kevin.c

Without any doubt emulator is the great invention. But - for me -  even the best emulator is not worth so as the real, old, dusted cpc with real roms, flying ribbons, boards and noisy little loudspeaker... etc.  and that's what you really need Zbyniu !  ;D

TFM

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 23:26, 25 March 15

I may can help with this:

- The RAM disc ROM RDOS (Dobbertin) must have a ROM number smaller than all other DOS.
- An alternative DOS (ParaDOS, VaraDOS, X-DDOS, V-DOS ... ) must have a ROM number smaller than 7 (or actually where ever AmsDOS is located).
- The new super Assembler from France OrgAms has defined ROM numbers, the next update will bring some more easy IMHO.
- FutureOS need fixed ROM numbers, but they can be selected using the Installer Disc. If you (or somebody else) need a personal version with your choice of ROM numbers then just PM me.

With a real X-MEM life is way more fun! Because you get RAM and ROM expanded to as much as you usually need.  :)

If there is anything else I can do for you let me know.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

ZbyniuR

Narrow font with anti-aliasing. Any suggestion which pixels should be change?

Don't you think it's time to change font in firmware into more pretty and useful?

Gryzor

This is beautiful, I'd use it as a default if possible!

What's with the red characters?

ZbyniuR

Reds chars mean those codes after press key don't appear because they doing something else. But codes 128 to 159 can be change into whites, by line
FOR a=128 to 159:KEY a,CHR$(a):NEXT
Greens don't appear in PRINT because they doing something else.

Since october I have modify ROM with those characters and new keys map. Including German, French and Spanish chars on keys. And frames on function keys with Ctrl, but I can't modify ROM to change function kays right way (as whites). I don't know how to modify ROM to change function keys. I asked about this on forum, but nobody help me, and I was busy in work next few months, and I loose motivation before I found resolution.

Of couse except RUN" on code 140). I prefer:
KEY 140,STRING$(8,CHR$(224))+CHR$(250)+"run"+CHR$(34)+CHR$(13)
Now just put cursor on start file name and press Ctrl+Enter :) With something like this in ROM we don't have to use key COPY.

About this Greek chars, just few more and with use latin which look tha same as Greek, we have whole alphabet. But which characters are still unnecessary?

PS.: Sorry for being so late.

Gryzor

I still love the small font with antialias! is it possible to use in a ROM?

As for the Greek characters, do let me know what you need and I'll help you out :)