News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Learning to Solder

Started by banana, 10:47, 15 June 21

Previous topic - Next topic

banana

Is it very hard to learn to solder?What have your experiences been like? Is it one of those subjects you have to study to learn?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: banana on 10:47, 15 June 21
Is it very hard to learn to solder?What have your experiences been like? Is it one of those subjects you have to study to learn?

It's easy enough to learn, the trick is to practice on some bits of junk before attacking something that's of real value to you.
Desoldering is harder as if not done correctly, you can pull the tracks off with the old solder.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

banana

Thanks! I have access to a soldering machine from my neighbor, what can I use to practice on? Like an old broken TV?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: banana on 12:03, 15 June 21
Thanks! I have access to a soldering machine from my neighbor, what can I use to practice on? Like an old broken TV?

Anything really. Find some wire and anything with an old PCB, old laptop etc and have some fun with it. :)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Bryce

Soldering is relatively easy, I've just recently taught my son (9) to solder right down to SMD size parts which he can now do quite well. However, it also depends on the iron, what type / model of iron does your neighbour have?

Bryce.

eto

Quote from: banana on 12:03, 15 June 21Like an old broken TV?

No, definitely not the right thing to do any tests. Unless it has not been attached to power for a really long time, the capacitors in it are really, really dangerous and keep their load for a really long time. I once had a GT65 disconnected for 2 months and it was still charged.

But any board from any electronics device will be fine - e.g. an old radio. But don't deal with the power supply unless you really know what you are doing.

Search on Youtube for tutorials. Basic soldering is really straight forward.

You could start with simple external projects, e.g. a two player adapter with diodes for the CPC (https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Joystick_Y-cables)

What I also did and what can be done with basic skills:
- modifying a NES or PSX gamepad, so you can use it on the CPC (https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/PSX_controller_mod_for_Amstrad_CPC)
- connecting the CPC to VGA through a GBA8200 with GBS Control (https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-control)

banana

Thanks for the replies/advice! I'll ask him what type of soldering iron he's got.

Bryce

banana

Shining

Like Bryce said: I'm a boy-scout leader and the last winter-camp, I did a soldering workshop with the kids (8 to 14 years old) and most of them managed to get this: https://www.pollin.de/p/bausatz-atom-ver-1-1-810110 to work (after 1-3 hours). The others with a little help...

TGS is back

Download my productions at:
cpc.scifinet.org

banana

So my Neighbor said for electronics he has a Hako (or maybe Haiko?) 888 unit, but because I made a stupid comment about a TV (I told him I asked the forum), he thinks I'll probably kill myself with one  ??? . That wasn't cool, I wasn't going to use a TV anyway. He said he'll look for an easier one with a thin tip for me to use. He's half my age but a little cocky, but is a very nice person deep in his heart.I should also mention that I'm dating his older sister.

Gryzor

What I've learned: you can get competent enough realistically, but get really good with tons of effort. But it saves so much time and frustration to ask for advice and watch some nice tutorials - I wish I had followed this advice early on.

eto

Quote from: banana on 13:43, 15 June 21I should also mention that I'm dating his older sister.

At least now you know that he likes you and accepts this, otherwise he probably would have encouraged you to try the TV and would have quickly plugged it in before he gives it to you ;-)

banana

Quote from: eto on 13:56, 15 June 21
At least now you know that he likes you and accepts this, otherwise he probably would have encouraged you to try the TV and would have quickly plugged it in before he gives it to you ;-)
Oh, I never thought of it this way. He does like me!

Bryce

Quote from: banana on 13:43, 15 June 21
So my Neighbor said for electronics he has a Hako (or maybe Haiko?) 888 unit, but because I made a stupid comment about a TV (I told him I asked the forum), he thinks I'll probably kill myself with one  ??? . That wasn't cool, I wasn't going to use a TV anyway. He said he'll look for an easier one with a thin tip for me to use. He's half my age but a little cocky, but is a very nice person deep in his heart.I should also mention that I'm dating his older sister.

Wrong twice, it's actually "Hakko" :D This is what he has: https://tbk-onlineshop.de/produkt/hakko-fx-888d-16-by/

Bryce.

banana

Yep that's the one he showed me. Wrong by 1 K!

Bryce

Quote from: banana on 14:28, 15 June 21
Yep that's the one he showed me. Wrong by 1 K!

1k is a 64th of the CPC464's RAM capacity!

Bryce.

VincentGR

Practice and study this pdf  ;D

MaV

Quote from: banana on 13:43, 15 June 21I should also mention that I'm dating his older sister.
My advice is this: Postpone the soldering business, marry that girl, and then return to soldering for those times when you need time for yourself (i.e. when she turns from Aphrodite to Xanthippe).
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."