News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

linux

Started by arnoldemu, 15:27, 09 July 11

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

so, I was doing some coding under linux.....
it asked me if I wanted to upgrade.... I've been ignoring it so far.

I thought "yeah".

after some time the computer suddenly locks up. mouse is working, nothing else responds.

I press the power button,  linux boots but I can't log in.  :o

so I restart using the live cd, search on the internet, type in some sudo apt-get type messages and now it's all working again.
ahh the fun.  ;D

so you think, windows is better?
I've had that lock up when installing updates.
I've had the "great", install the updates, now you must reboot, I log in, ahh, it needs to continue installing... zzzz finally I can log in.

cpc's never had this ;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Ynot.zer0

I picked up a Amstrad PC1640 HD20 yesterday (for 99p!), plugged it in and it booted up into DOS 3.2 in about 10 seconds... sitting and waiting at the C:> prompt.  After doing a >Dir, it looks like this machine was last used in 1994!!! although looking at the file timestamps it was mostly used between 1986-1987.  now.... I wasn't asked to update anything / reboot or anything else.  it just worked and works rather well!  It has XTree, Lotus Symphony, Works, Lemmings, F15 and a bunch of other software - they all work okay and they also do not ask to be updated.
I was wondering to myself earlier, where did it all go so 'wrong'?  maybe 'wrong' is not the right word: where did it all go so 'off at a tangent'?  As with the CPC, I can boot it up, use it, turn it off... leave it 5 years, boot it up and use it again, no problems.  If anyone in the future has any influence on the design / usage of computers for the next 100years, maybe you can get the designers to look backwards to help them move forwards?....  (I'm not biased towards Linux or Windows... both run Chrome web browser  :P ) (I think?... haven't currently got a Linux machine running....)

TFM

Quote from: arnoldemu on 15:27, 09 July 11

cpc's never had this ;)

Well, I had that problem once with a CPC. I tried to migrate a unnamed OS form the normal version to the version that supports 1 MB RAM (my CPC had 4 MB, Thanks to Jarek). Well, the restult was I it all did freeze up, corrupted my internal Flash! At least after some time I was able to get rid off all that stuff. So back to the roots.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Try loading Windows 7 from cassette! It takes ages to boot! :D

Bryce.

AMSDOS

Quote from: arnoldemu on 15:27, 09 July 11
I press the power button,  linux boots but I can't log in.  :o

Never had that problem in OS/2 Warp.

Quoteso you think, windows is better?

No, because OS/2 Warp is better than Windows.  :laugh:

Quotecpc's never had this ;)

CPCs never had hard disks - or at least they didn't need them, all them other systems are vulnerable to Hard Disk failure - it's the biggest con out. The only system you could get away with on them systems would be CP/M-86 or DOS. It didn't matter when my Hard Disk failed on my Laptop cause an 1.44Mb Floppy was massive for CP/M-86!

And it's only up to now where people are making alternative Hard Disks which avoid the problems of Failure (sadly I don't have any sources  >:( ).
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Ynot.zer0

Quote from: CP/M User on 23:10, 09 July 11
Never had that problem in OS/2 Warp.
No, because OS/2 Warp is better than Windows.  :laugh:
and if you are feeling nostaligic: http://www.ecomstation.com/democd/

(yes, I do actually work for IBM  8) , but I'm not biased at all  ;D )

mr_lou

No one is forcing you to update your computer.  ;)

I used Arch Linux earlier, and updated all the time - until I got tired of needing to fix everything again after each update. Something was always broke after an update. But ok, to be fair, it was a new OS that was still being developed.

Then I switched to Ubuntu Linux (which is less geeky, and the switch cost me a few geek-friends), but it works and I've never had any problems with it.

I do miss the good old days where nothing needed to be updated though. Sometimes I get really tired of updates. Especially because the stuff I'm interested it, often is some old outdated package. So I find it online, download, try to install, but can't because it wants some older version of some lib.  >:(
So mostly, I hate external libs. If it were up to me, I'd make it a rule for all coders to include the libs they use in their apps.

AMSDOS

Quote from: ynot.zer0 on 23:37, 09 July 11
and if you are feeling nostaligic: http://www.ecomstation.com/democd/

(yes, I do actually work for IBM  8) , but I'm not biased at all  ;D )

Yes I like that line of thinking with the DemoCD, I remember downloading something simular which was a GUI based OS which was on an 1.44Mb Floppy, though it was limited! Create something simular for CD-ROM and you should be able to generate which works in RAM - give it a RAM Disk etc, computers these days have heaps of RAM that it's not necessarily a problem!

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

Quote from: Bryce on 22:34, 09 July 11
Try loading Windows 7 from cassette! It takes ages to boot! :D

Bryce.

Seems to run just fine for me!  :laugh:  Even has all the regular Bugs!  ;D

10 ' Wyndozes 7
20 ' Seriously (C) Mykrosoft by Gill Bates
30 MODE 1:SYMBOL 255,128,192,224,240,224,32,16,16
40 SYMBOL 253,0,255,129,129,255,129,153,165:SYMBOL 254,165,153,129,153,153,153,129,255
50 x=322:y=232:LOCATE 8,10:PRINT"Welcome to Mykrosofts Wyndows 7"
60 PLOT -2,-2,1:MOVE 0,398:PRINT CHR$(23);CHR$(1);:TAG:PRINT CHR$(253);:MOVE 0,382:PRINT CHR$(254);:TAGOFF
70 PLOT -2,-2,2:MOVE x,y:PRINT CHR$(23);CHR$(1);:TAG:PRINT CHR$(255);:TAGOFF
80 PLOT -2,-2,2:CALL &BD19:MOVE x,y:PRINT CHR$(23);CHR$(1);:TAG:PRINT CHR$(255);:TAGOFF
90 a$=INKEY$
100 IF INKEY(0)=0 THEN y=y+6:GOTO 170
110 IF INKEY(2)=0 THEN y=y-6:GOTO 170
120 IF INKEY(8)=0 THEN x=x-6:GOTO 170
130 IF INKEY(1)=0 THEN x=x+6:GOTO 170
140 IF INKEY(47)=0 THEN GOSUB 190
150 MOVE x,y:PRINT CHR$(23);CHR$(1);:TAG:PRINT CHR$(255);:TAGOFF
160 GOTO 80
170 CALL &BD19:MOVE x,y:PRINT CHR$(23);CHR$(1);:TAG:PRINT CHR$(255);:TAGOFF
180 GOTO 80
190 IF (x>=0 AND x<=20) AND (y<=398 AND y>=368) THEN LOCATE 8,10:PRINT"Program Requires Wyndows XP!   ":RETURN
200 IF x>22 AND y<368 THEN LOCATE 8,10:PRINT"Welcome to Mykrosofts Wyndows 7":RETURN

Your Computer Programs

Ynot.zer0

That was really cool!  Could you include XPMode with that version of Wyndows 7?

AMSDOS

Quote from: ynot.zer0 on 10:15, 10 July 11
That was really cool!  Could you include XPMode with that version of Wyndows 7?

Hum - take some poking about!!  8) 

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

Heheh nice :D But there should be a compatibility option!

Nice gfx, btw (that is, the cursor is nice)

arnoldemu

Quote from: mr_lou on 06:11, 10 July 11
No one is forcing you to update your computer.  ;)
indeed.

So, I am back to using linux again and enjoying it.
I am using ubuntu and I really like it.

Downloading via the package manager is user friendly, it has a lot of apps I know, and if not I can find something similar.
So it's actually fun to use.

EDIT: Did I mention it boots far faster than my windows AND runs happily in 512MB ram?

My games. My Games

Gryzor

Quote from: arnoldemu on 20:57, 10 July 11

EDIT: Did I mention it boots far faster than my windows AND runs happily in 512MB ram?

You should see Amsdos!

Btw, my Win7 booting off SSD is very fast to boot...

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:24, 11 July 11
You should see Amsdos!

AMSDOS obviously is ROM based which takes nearly no time to load. Though if one wants a ROM based GUI loading in no time on a CPC then DES is an good option!  :)

Oh and I only rip-off my mouse pointers from the best in the business (as featured in BASIC programming tips), though at least I made it 464 friendly!  :laugh:

Your Computer Programs

TFM

Quote from: CP/M User on 10:34, 11 July 11
AMSDOS obviously is ROM based which takes nearly no time to load. Though if one wants a ROM based GUI loading in no time on a CPC then DES is an good option!  :)

Oh and I thought you would mention MOS now  :o

But honestly, you as cpm freak should use Geno!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

AMSDOS

Quote from: TFM/FS on 18:08, 11 July 11

Oh and I thought you would mention MOS now  :o

Yeah I don't know what I was thinkin'  :o 

QuoteBut honestly, you as cpm freak should use Geno!

Would if I could, I used to have no problems loading Geno on my old Pentium which used Caprice32 (prior to v2), in Winape 2.017a it seems to be a different story, it starts loading it to the stage the image pops up and then this German TXT pops up:

QuoteStart von GENO durch beliebige Taste:

If I simply press any key it will only repeat that message and won't let me proceed!  :'(

Your Computer Programs

TFM

It just tells you "Press any key to start". But honestly I have no idea why the kind of emulator has influence on it??? However try JavaCPC, WinCPC or Caprice aside of Winape and check out if they behave different. This will help to solve the problems I hope.
TFM of FutureSoft

AMSDOS

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:22, 12 July 11
It just tells you "Press any key to start". But honestly I have no idea why the kind of emulator has influence on it??? However try JavaCPC, WinCPC or Caprice aside of Winape and check out if they behave different. This will help to solve the problems I hope.

Unfortunately I'm rather limited in terms of the Emulators I can use on my computer, though I can try it out in WinCPC, though it's not really going to fix the problem in Winape if there is a problem.  I'll setup a new thread for this though.

Your Computer Programs

norecess

I always had a Love-Hate attitude with Linux. I installed it, enjoyed and clicked and did everything, but after few days I always ended with being back to Windows.

That was back in 2004 ; since then I use Mac OS X and never had to look back (I use WinXP in a VM for my developments).

That said, latest Ubuntu releases look very nice and they did great progress. Unfortunately, a good OS is not enough, I'm tied to iApps (mostly iTunes & iPhoto) and I did not find any good equivalents on the Linux-side (alternatives DO exist, but did not convince me to switch).

Gryzor

Same here... my latest attempts were with Ubuntu and Chromium on my netbook; I really wanted it to work, but it had serious troubles with my wifi adapter (solved after some serious hacking around) and trackpad (never solved), so it's back to Win7 for me too.

Bryce

I use SuSE Linux 11.4 on both my main PC and my laptop, everything works fine, but I do have to go back to Windows for one or two programs that don't have a Linux version. However more and more hardware manufacturers are starting to release linux versions, so hopefully windows will be relegated to "Method for starting games" some time in the near future.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

I have two machines, one with xp and one with ubuntu 10.10.

my xp machine has given me trouble recently, being slow, so I finally moved over to ubuntu.

I found the equivalent tools I needed and now I am being equally as productive.

I don't run games on windows, so this was never a problem for me, so it was just down to coding some cpp/c apps and arnold.
that is going well for me now.

I do miss the copy and paste between windows though, doesn't seem to work for me unless there is a great tool to do that?

I also showed the wife the minimum she needs to know to use it and now she is happy to boot the machine, login and use firefox in a similar way to the way she did before.
So, at this time the XP machine has been off and linux has been the way.

All my recent developments on Arnold have been using linux, and the linux version works as well as the windows version, and with identical functionality.
My games. My Games

norecess

QuoteI don't run games on windows
Me either. Consoles replaced computers for this. Excepted for Quake 3 of course which still require a good keyboard & mouse  :laugh:

Quoteit was just down to coding some cpp/c apps and arnold

Native coding ? Already did that.. in the end for an amateur project I prefer being tied to a single platform (Windows being my choice), that allows me to focus more on feature development instead of dealing with build issues.. even with good coding practices.

QuoteI also showed the wife the minimum she needs to know to use it

iPad was my answer to this problem.  :P