News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Weird PDA600 sticky!

Started by CPCLER, 12:37, 20 August 11

Previous topic - Next topic

CPCLER

Hi Guys!

The other day I took my PDA600 out of the basement. I wanted to experiment with programming it through an old PC I got with the ability to write images directly to the memory card. But something weird has happened! The surface of the my PDA600 is extremely sticky and it makes it impossible to handle (The hardware works though)
The PDA600 has been stored in cold and dry conditions, so what's wrong ???? What is the cause of this stickiness?

/CPCLER 

Gryzor

Yeah, some plastics will do that - pour a rubbery film or something. I have a lighter in front of me that is doing the same, and my PDA600 did it, too. You could gently clean it with some alcohol, I have seen no adverse effects with removing the gooey stuff...

CPCLER

Hmmmmm....... a quick search on youtube I found this:

youtube.com/watch?v=tQ38F9GnDQM

Apparently this phenomena has something to do with the coating used on the PDA600 and the effects of time (Noticed something similair to my own body)

I am not sure I understand the lighter stuff you mention ....  :blank:

Anyway can this process be reversed (like eg. retrobrite), or do i really have to get a box of latex gloves? ??? ?

Reminds me that there should actually be an article on the WIKI for the PDA600, as it's somehow in family with the CPC ....

/CPCLER

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:47, 20 August 11

Gryzor

Yeah, I'm afraid its not reversible, you got to clean it.

I was talking about a plastic cigarette lighter :)

I like my 600, it was quite ambitious, but obviously it'll be one of the first retro devices to go, because of the coating...

And yes, why not, I'd be all for a dedicated page on the wiki!

MacDeath

Yes those soft plastics don't age well...
I have the same problem with some parts of my Renault Clio, the light thing become sticky when there is too much moist or heat in the air...

Some "tender" plastics are long term bad idea.

Good when new, bad when old.

Is this Pad some metalic coated in plastic or is it full plastic ?

Perhaps some chemical could "fix" this.

Seriously, they must have used the same plastic as for the 3" drive belt... :D

Thx god sugar CPC and PLUs are in good old hard plastic and can age quite well for a millenia or two...

I guess in the year 40K (41th millenium) the Adeptus Mechanicus will still use them as venerable machine spirits.