News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Not Quiet On the Western Font

Started by AMSDOS, 08:22, 06 August 10

Previous topic - Next topic

AMSDOS

I'm reverting back to Courier New, it would seem that because so many people have got it in for Comic Sans (primarily for the way it's used), it's seen as worse as Courier! For looks and readability these fonts look best in relation to my posts and yes Yahoo are using Courier New as their font of choice for their Text Based Mail, so one can only wonder now many emails they receive about it!  :-[
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

arnoldemu

Quote from: CP/M User on 08:22, 06 August 10
I'm reverting back to Courier New, it would seem that because so many people have got it in for Comic Sans (primarily for the way it's used), it's seen as worse as Courier! For looks and readability these fonts look best in relation to my posts and yes Yahoo are using Courier New as their font of choice for their Text Based Mail, so one can only wonder now many emails they receive about it!  :-[
I understand Courier is "keeping it retro". But we also have code tags ;)

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

The whole idea of posting to a forum is so that your comments will be read by others. I personally find "alternative" fonts to be annoyingly difficult to read, so I skip over those posts without reading them. I suppose if you want your posts to be read, you should use a font that others are comfortable with.

If I write like this, I shouldn't be suprised that people don't read my comments.

Bryce.

AMSDOS

I wasn't trying to sound like I'm pick on anyone here, though I feel it's a case that you won't make everyone happy by choosing whatever font you decide to run with. Impact Bold is a terrible choice and I agree what others have said that it's not really a font to be reading from more of a case of it being a display font like Dingbats, which really begs the question of why having it available on a forum board in the first place when there's heaps of fonts which could be in there, for instance there's no Script based fonts!

I guess the real issue is selecting what a member is most comfortable with, rather than allowing people like me to be choosing what fonts I want while posting, the Member profile should include something which visurally sets which font you want to see while reading members posts. I think if things were like that, it would make everyone happy because you can then read in the font of your preferance. Not trying to put any pressure on the admin members here cause that is more of a design feature of the forum board itself.

It just seems to be funny to be talking about this on an CPC forum though since the CPC only had one font which everyone had to take for granted unless you were prepared to quickly redefine the character set, true I remember a few typeins been sent to AA which did that, not sure how effective they were once you left that to do some Protext or something!  :-[

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

arnoldemu wrote:

I understand Courier is "keeping it retro". But we also have code tags ;)

Yes which seems to make the code look smaller. I guess it's like that so it doesn't stand out so much, don't really bother me a great deal since a program is there for people to copy it and post it in their text editor of choice. I tried this with one of the programs I posted though and it came out all wonky, the line numbers all had to be readjusted so the program could be presented in the manner it's supposed to look, be a tedious exercise if one had to do that for a large program.

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

There's absolutely NO point in allowing members of a board to choose their own font, because in this case you'd lose special formatting that someone would do on purpose. Also, there are some tags that should not be taken into account - showing code with comic sans, for instance? And since there are custom tags out there, you can't really control it... so it can't work.

You can always build a stylesheet or a script or something or even tweak your browser's settings to your liking without bothering the rest of the community who hate comic sans and find courier very hard to read.

And yes, Yahoo! may have chosen it for their text mail, but guess what - this is a rich text environment ;)

I'm 100% with Bryce on this one. Also, about your question about why extra fonts are available: because there are a few cases where you *want* to use another font. Even Impact, for a headline or something. Not unimaginable. Should I hack the code and remove the functionality? Silly...

Btw, I love the Orion Prime font :D

AMSDOS

Gryzor wrote:

There's absolutely NO point in allowing members of a board to choose their own font, because in this case you'd lose special formatting that someone would do on purpose. Also, there are some tags that should not be taken into account - showing code with comic sans, for instance? And since there are custom tags out there, you can't really control it... so it can't work.

Yes I agree that code shouldn't be shown in a Font Face other than the one it's meant to be in. Code for instance seems to bypass whatever font you choose (unless you choose not to display a program in code). But you're probably right given your talking to my silly early in the morning mind earlier.

You can always build a stylesheet or a script or something or even tweak your browser's settings to your liking without bothering the rest of the community who hate comic sans and find courier very hard to read.

So it can all my bypassed anyway and people don't have to read my posts in Courier!  :)

And yes, Yahoo! may have chosen it for their text mail, but guess what - this is a rich text environment ;)

Yahoo offers Rich Text Too!  ;)

I'm 100% with Bryce on this one. Also, about your question about why extra fonts are available: because there are a few cases where you *want* to use another font. Even Impact, for a headline or something. Not unimaginable. Should I hack the code and remove the functionality? Silly...

Woa!!  ???  Hang on I wasn't trying to start a debate about whose right and whose wrong, I was merely trying to establish what possible alternatives.

Given there doesn't seem to be any practical or easy way to deal with this I'll just have to settle with the same ol' same ol'!  ???

Btw, I love the Orion Prime font :D

Don't know it, tried so hard to find an example of it all I got was a website which also broke my computer!  :(

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

So it can all my bypassed anyway and people don't have to read my posts in Courier!   
So you're suggesting everyone else should use scripts to avoid unsightly fonts that one user uses? :D

Woa!!    Hang on I wasn't trying to start a debate about whose right and whose wrong, I was merely trying to establish what possible alternatives.
Hey man, don't take it wrong - I wasn't 'debating' as such either. It's not a big issue after all, I find it more amusing than a nuissance :D
Don't know it, tried so hard to find an example of it all I got was a website which also broke my computer! 

Well, if the good guys from Arkos (Targhan? You here?) could provide the font definition maybe we could build a ttf...

AMSDOS

Gryzor wrote:

So you're suggesting everyone else should use scripts to avoid unsightly fonts that one user uses? :D

Na that would only make people mad (cause everyone would have to change, a funny prospect, though it would only amount to more ' >:( ' PMs sent to me!  ;D ).
What I had in mind is an Add-on for the Web Browser which reverts certain fonts to other fonts. Everyone posts in Verdana for example, so you could have in your add-on Verdana = Courier New and other fonts like Times New Roman, Arial = Comic Sans & Terminal Respectively. At the moment what's there is crude, you can only select one Webpage based font and one Plain Text Based Font, there is an override feature to Ignore formatting, but they merely changes everything to the font you specified in the Webpage Font!

Hey man, don't take it wrong - I wasn't 'debating' as such either. It's not a big issue after all, I find it more amusing than a nuissance :D

Sorry. It's been just a long a ongoing battle which I've tried to make amusing.

Well, if the good guys from Arkos (Targhan? You here?) could provide the font definition maybe we could build a ttf...

Sounds good.

Your Computer Programs