News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

PC Keyboards.

Started by Bryce, 09:00, 08 March 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

Check out the individual key colours half way down the page. I think my next PC Keyboard is going to look very much like a CPC464 :)

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/designer/index.php?action=main&model=104-Key%20Custom%20Cherry%20MX%20Keycap%20Set&case=v2

Bryce.

Skunkfish

Had a play with their keyboard designer before (and of course, also created a 464-esque keyboard).

If only I could justify the $150 to actually click 'buy'!
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Shaun M. Neary

I want one!
But at $150 a pop... I think I'll pass!  :laugh: :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Vyper68

I quite like the idea of the different key colours but everyone clubbed together for my Corsair STRAFE gaming keyboard last year so i don't think i am allowed to do it again. Now i have gone backlit i could not go back it makes it a lot easier especially a night. Sad thing is i don't really play much of anything on my PC much anymore now. Last game i bought was Middle Earth - Shadow of War but have only played about an hour.
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul

||C|-|E||

I actually like them quite a lot, and I may consider buying one  :) You see, my main problem with keyboards is that I am not able to find anything as good as the IBM Model M I use at home, but I cannot take it to the office for obvious reasons (it sounds like a Gatling). These could be a great alternative  :)

Gryzor

Oh crap, my Matias quiet keyboard is jealous!

Les us know how it is if you get one :)

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 00:41, 11 March 18
I actually like them quite a lot, and I may consider buying one  :) You see, my main problem with keyboards is that I am not able to find anything as good as the IBM Model M I use at home, but I cannot take it to the office for obvious reasons (it sounds like a Gatling). These could be a great alternative  :)

The new Model M's are rubbish. Had massive problems with mine. Ended up giving it away after getting fed up with monthly dismantling to fix a poor contact. The engineering in the new ones is shocking and the plastics are terrible. Swirly marked plastics. Nasty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7U7QKorqic

I replaced it with one of these: ]https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C2MLY2Q

Managed to get a unopened return unit from Amazon for 69 quid. It's lovely and such a relief to be rid of the Model M. It also has a nicer keypress action and doesn't deafen you every time you press a ke
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

tjohnson

I've got a Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 which is good for typing (MX blue) but not gaming so I keep a separate wireless Microsoft keyboard on the desk.  I thought about the Unicomp but decided they were too expensive.

||C|-|E||

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 23:45, 11 March 18

The new Model M's are rubbish. Had massive problems with mine. Ended up giving it away after getting fed up with monthly dismantling to fix a poor contact. The engineering in the new ones is shocking and the plastics are terrible. Swirly marked plastics. Nasty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7U7QKorqic

I replaced it with one of these: ]https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C2MLY2Q

Managed to get a unopened return unit from Amazon for 69 quid. It's lovely and such a relief to be rid of the Model M. It also has a nicer keypress action and doesn't deafen you every time you press a ke

But my Model M is from the early 90s  :laugh: I have quite a few of them, just in case. However, I never managed to break the first one...

chinnyhill10

Quote from: tjohnson on 00:13, 12 March 18
I've got a Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 which is good for typing (MX blue) but not gaming so I keep a separate wireless Microsoft keyboard on the desk.  I thought about the Unicomp but decided they were too expensive.

If you can get an original one fine. But the problem is that they are no longer IBM build quality and the moulds used are now so old you get the problems associated with that. Put it this way, I can't imagine IBM letting that piece of crap I had out of the factory!
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 00:41, 12 March 18
But my Model M is from the early 90s  :laugh: I have quite a few of them, just in case. However, I never managed to break the first one...

The old ones are fine. Its the new Unicomp ones that seem to be the problem. Some people say the new ones are fine but I did have a few people say to me after that video they had similar problems. The fact the company who sold it to me knew about the 'fix' suggests its not a problem for the controller board not to make good contact. The problem was whatever fix I tried it only lasted a month or so then it all needed opening up again.

And those plastics. Goodness me, we're talking worse than Tramiel era Atari plastics! I know Amstrad used to patch things up with a bit of putty and some CPC's have inconsistent finishes, but we knew no better back then. In 2018 for a premium keyboard I expect a nice finish!
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

||C|-|E||

It is a bit sad, because they are the only ones with the license to produce the original model, as far as I know. It also seems that the prices of the original Model M are super high nowadays. There was a time when nobody wanted them because they were big, noisy and lacked the Windows key. I took the units I have mostly from trash cans and flea markets.