News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Posting from my Amiga...

Started by Gryzor, 19:11, 27 March 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Heheheh, this is fun. I just set up my WinUAE configuration and I'm posting this from within iBrowse.

Rendering is HORRENDOUS, and it looks halfway between Lynx and Netscape Navigator, but it works! I wonder how this comes up in the statistics...

Cheers!
G

nurgle

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:11, 27 March 10
Heheheh, this is fun. I just set up my WinUAE configuration and I'm posting this from within iBrowse.

Rendering is HORRENDOUS, and it looks halfway between Lynx and Netscape Navigator, but it works! I wonder how this comes up in the statistics...

Cheers!
G

Bahhh, UAE. It's not a posting from your Amiga without a real Amiga. UAE is much to fast to get a feel for what it is really like to surf the web with a 25 MHz 68030, where you can watch the JPGs on each page slooowly decode.  ;)

Gryzor

Well, you can always set the speed to 100% accurate and see what it feels like.

In any case, I've done the same with my real A1200 in the past, but it's waaay too much hassle :)

nurgle

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:55, 27 March 10
Well, you can always set the speed to 100% accurate and see what it feels like.

In any case, I've done the same with my real A1200 in the past, but it's waaay too much hassle :)

Well, I have my A3000 beneath my Monitor I am looking at, so I only need to switch inputs in theory.

In practice I am to lazy to fiddle behind the desk and plug in the power cable.  ;)

Alco

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:11, 27 March 10
Rendering is HORRENDOUS, and it looks halfway between Lynx and Netscape Navigator, but it works!

Be patient! Tomorrow is not so far for those who can wait!

Project TIMBERWOLF
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.amstradcpc.com/blog
https://www.facebook.com/groups/AmstradCpcCom
https://retrojen.org/pano
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MacDeath

Oh yea i've heard Greece has a terrible crisis at the moment, so you had to sell your PC and use a cheap retrojunk to do internet. :(

:D ;D ;)

BTW.

Is there some sort of webnavigator on Amstrad CPC ?
Does Symbos allows it in Mode1 ? would be cool...

Also I just put my hands on my brother's A500...
Can it work with it ? (I think this one has 1 meg ram...)

Gryzor

Actually, I think that my full Amiga outfit costs more than my current PC (cards, boosters and whatnot included), but oh well :D

nurgle

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:31, 28 March 10
Actually, I think that my full Amiga outfit costs more than my current PC (cards, boosters and whatnot included), but oh well :D

I bought an Aridne II Ethernet card of the last production run one week before my favorite Amiga shop in Berlin closed its doors finally. There is a cheap Realtek chip on this dumb 10Mbit card, but it did cost a considerable amount of money. At least you get a card that is three times as large as a comparable PC card for you money. ;)

I have been looking at some Amiga goodies on ebay, but the prices for used PPC cards for example are totally out of control. No way I am ever going to pay THAT amount of money for upgrading a dead platform. Buying brand new CPC extensions for considerably less seems far more reasonable to me.  ;D

Devilmarkus

Well, just testing the latest AmiKit + IBrowse
Seems to work fine here.
Will check AWeb, too ;)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Devilmarkus

Just checking AWeb ;)
Works ok, too :D

Devilmarkus

robcfg

Hey guys, dou you know any nice tutorial on how to do the Amiga-|Internet thing?

I have a PCMCIA network card and a nice Amiga 1200 with a Blizzard 1230 at 50 mhz plus classic amiga workbench with 32 mb ram.

I've been trying to follow some tutorials but when it comes to the tricky part they really don't explain anything.

And how would the stats system catalogue an entry from an Acorn RiscPC running Netsurf on RiscOS?  :o

nurgle

Hi robocfg,

if you are serious I would really suggest buying Amiga OS 3.9. While it may seem like a waste of money buying an os upgrade for a "toy computer", OS 3.9 really brings together all components you need. In 3.1 you need to hand-pick a lot of software components, i.e. TCP/IP stack (amiTCP (Genesis) or Miami), drivers for you network card, web browser and lots of other stuff. In OS 3.9 everything is bundeled and you can connect to the internet right away. I would not bother using anything less, because I remember it took years to tune my system back in the days of OS 3.1. Also some of the software budeled with 3.9 is shareware and needs to be bought for 3.1 (if there is still someone you can buy from). I am also not sure you will find the needed info easily as Amiga infos are not always accessible on the web but also scattered around text files residing on the AmiNet.

You will need a CD-ROM drive to install 3.9.

P.s. I have an A3000 with Ariadne II Ethernet card and Cybervision64 GFX card. I use both cards with the drivers that came with OS 3.9. Just the Web browser needed an update.

Devilmarkus

If someone is interested:
My selfmade Amiga-Workbench:

Gryzor

Heheh... nice one, would you mind sharing the setup? :)

Ynot.zer0

not sure if you've seen this:

http://www.chiptune.com/

...all made in JavaScript.... wow, I'm impressed.....

(btw - I was viewing in Chrome and all worked okay for me, other browser might vary)

Gryzor

Yes, it's been there for a while now. It's certainly very impressive, but it severely lacks in functionality; part of the problem lies in the Amiga's desktop limitations (opening thousands of folders to get there). I'd prefer to have a desktop player and be able to load playlists fast...

Devilmarkus

Let's confuse Gryzor a bit.... (Only a little bit)

Gryzor

Hahaha! But, yeah, now use Tiki, build a CPC browser and take a screenshot :D

Btw, what browser does it use? I will check the stats to see how it appears...

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Gryzor on 21:44, 01 August 10
Hahaha! But, yeah, now use Tiki, build a CPC browser and take a screenshot :D

Btw, what browser does it use? I will check the stats to see how it appears...

I don't think it appears as "Browser" because I am using a Java-API which embeds IE/FF as browserpane.
(I also don't think this browser would work under Mac OS. I only found API's for Linux, SunOS and Windows)
But this browser can show all what your Firefox or IE could show.
(Flash, Java Applets!, etc...)

http://cpc-live.com/data/list.php?dir=-beta
The last download entry contains this browser.