News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Raspberry Pi

Started by Gryzor, 09:37, 10 September 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Ynot.zer0

If the iControlPad2 was a little too expensive... this one might be handy? iMpulse Game Controller & Key Finder: Pocket Accessory by Black Powder Media -

Gryzor

Oohhh that one looks nice!!! $30 is again a bit expensive, but it's not a huge amount... thinking about it, thinking about it!

TotO

Quote from: Ynot.zer0 on 23:10, 13 September 12
well, if you need a keyboard / games controller for your new Pi (eventually running an Amstrad emu...) you could back this device...

iControlPad 2 - The open source controller by Product 3 LLC - Kickstarter

(it's the guys who were behind the Pandora)
It look pure chines shitty plastic... May be for 20$...  :laugh:
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

scruss

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:16, 11 September 12
Older arnold linux versions may be ok, I didn't check.

Any hints as to what age will compile? The most recent won't link, as it's looking for elf32-i386 despite going through ./configure.

Gryzor

Quote from: scruss on 01:13, 01 October 12
Any hints as to what age will compile? The most recent won't link, as it's looking for elf32-i386 despite going through ./configure.

Too bad, though I didn't try it myself... hope it gets better than this :)

Meanwhile, Sunday afternoon: [attach=2]

arnoldemu

Quote from: scruss on 01:13, 01 October 12
I hope I'll be able to tell you soon.

I coded Arnold. Andreas did the linux version.
When I get my pi, fingers crossed it'll be this week, mumble grumble, I'll compile the most recent version I have and upload a useable fixed version.

This is latest version:
Arnold TNG

It has a compile switch for opengl (sorry not opengl es), but that'll be one of the first things I'll fix in that version. I can then transfer the knowledge over to my slower wip version.

my wip version compiles and runs ok, but sloooowly.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

nurgle

Hiho,

long time no see. I don't spend much time with CPC stuff nowadays, but since I have a PI and since I worked on the CPC port of Arnold I am tempted to waste some time with nerd stuff again.  ;D

Would there be interest to get the old ArnoldTNG running on PI? I once had Arnold running on Linux/PPC (old iMac), so I already went through all those nastly endianess issues, trying various compiler and linker switches. It is probably just the build system that needs to be fixed.

@arnoldemu: Is the new WIP version of Arnold really slower than the old Arnold? Why? Can it be improved? I really feel like I should help with the new version rather than riding a dead horse. Can I get a current snapshot please?  ;D

Also configuring the underlying linux can give a speedup. For example the old ArnoldTNG does not run full speed on the earliest eeepc in 32bit color mode. When running the X server at 16bit color mode it is just fast enough. I have yet to play around with my PI to see what tweaks might be worthwhile. I started hacking on Arnold/Linux on an AMD  K6 with roughly 300 MHz IIRC. So in theory the PI should have enough horsepower.

Gryzor

I think there is a NES emulator out there for the Pi, though it doesn't function too well sound-wise. If gfx emulation is running OK thn I guess a CPC could be emulated?

In other words: yes, please.

Heck, I even got an arcade-style joystick with a gameport/USB adaptor...

arnoldemu

Quote from: nurgle on 16:19, 03 October 12
Hiho,

long time no see. I don't spend much time with CPC stuff nowadays, but since I have a PI and since I worked on the CPC port of Arnold I am tempted to waste some time with nerd stuff again.  ;D
Hi Andreas,

I just got an e-mail to say my pi is on it's way :)

Would there be interest to get the old ArnoldTNG running on PI? I once had Arnold running on Linux/PPC (old iMac), so I already went through all those nastly endianess issues, trying various compiler and linker switches. It is probably just the build system that needs to be fixed.
I would like to see it working, so at least it is out there. I am happy to fix it.

@arnoldemu: Is the new WIP version of Arnold really slower than the old Arnold? Why? Can it be improved? I really feel like I should help with the new version rather than riding a dead horse. Can I get a current snapshot please?  ;D
I will e-mail a link to it soon for you.

On the PI, it is slow because sdl and x-windows are not accelerated. I think to make it faster, it would need to use opengl es, or the broadcom libraries directly  for the graphical part of it.

I think it can be made to run faster.

In terms of the comparison between older and newer, it does seem slower. I have changed some bits and I've not done it in an optimised way. I think there is room for improvements.

Also configuring the underlying linux can give a speedup. For example the old ArnoldTNG does not run full speed on the earliest eeepc in 32bit color mode. When running the X server at 16bit color mode it is just fast enough. I have yet to play around with my PI to see what tweaks might be worthwhile. I started hacking on Arnold/Linux on an AMD  K6 with roughly 300 MHz IIRC. So in theory the PI should have enough horsepower.
it's got a 16-bit framebuffer. it would probably need to use opengl es.

I too haven't looked at it properly. I know the new one builds, because I borrowed a pi and made it work ;)
but I will soon get my own.

My games. My Games

scruss

According to this post, after installing the dependencies, you just need to change TARGET_FMT=elf32-i386 to TARGET_FMT=elf32-littlearm in src/Makefile.in.

That worked for me. I just ran it via a remote X session. Thaaaaat waaaas sloooooow ...

arnoldemu

Quote from: scruss on 13:34, 06 October 12
According to this post, after installing the dependencies, you just need to change TARGET_FMT=elf32-i386 to TARGET_FMT=elf32-littlearm in src/Makefile.in.

That worked for me. I just ran it via a remote X session. Thaaaaat waaaas sloooooow ...
thanks for the info.
My games. My Games

Gryzor

Wonder if an overclocked Pi can pull it off then. It's quite a dramatic overclock.

McKlain

Raspberry Pi Powered SNES

SNES (Super Nintendo Emulated System)

A Pi inside an american SNES shell, running a SNES emulator.

Gryzor

Well, you can do that with pretty much every system out there... heck, the Pi is so small it could fit in a shell without even gutting it! 

beaker

I don't know, I think it's pretty cool that you can still use cartridges  :D
I know when I tried mine with an Atom ION board a few year or so ago, it's really cramped in there. I ended up sticking some RAM fans Bryce suggested on and adding the fake cartridge as an exhaust hole.
Still I borked my Ubuntu OS on there following an update over Christmas and ended up buying an OEM version of Windows 7 and finally the SSD drive you a Bryce suggested at the time that should arrive later this week so should run a bit cooler.
It would be cool to do the what he's done with my other US Snes and my Pi.

TFM

Makes me dreaming about new Carts for the CPC... :-X  But how to produce the shells...??
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus