News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Raspberry Pi

Started by Gryzor, 09:37, 10 September 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

So, my Pi is here (rev.B is on its way), what should I do with it? :)

Bryce

Send it to me! :D

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:37, 10 September 12
So you didn't order it from RS like I did ?  :'( :'( :'(
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Well, sure, once my rev.B is here, why not? Maybe you'll slave it to the CPC and do something neat with it after all :D

Heh, my TV doesn't have a USB, but since the Pi uses so little current (500mAh I believe?) it can be powered from one. So if you connect it to a TV through USB and turn the TV on, it gets powered at the same time and it looks like the TV is booting up!

@Arnold: you mean rs-online? No, from Farnell... why? Do they have long lead times?

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:55, 10 September 12
@Arnold: you mean rs-online? No, from Farnell... why? Do they have long lead times?
yes, I ordered from them in June.

2 weeks ago they said there would be furthur delays until end of September!
It is the same for all who ordered from RS.

so for those who want one, order from farnell or their sister companies of mcmelectronics and cpc.co.uk.
My games. My Games

Gryzor

Bryce

My preferred supplier (they don't actually sell the Raspberry Pi) have a custom case on offer for the Pi. Might be worth getting if you intend having the device by the TV?

Bryce.

Edit: Blood nora, why does the forum keep deleting links I post??!

Another attempt:

And yet another...

No, still no luck and no link. Gryzor! Tell your forum to do what it's told! :D

Ok, copy this and add 3 W's and a dot in front of it to your browser:  reichelt.de/Kunststoffgehaeuse-TEKO/TEK-BERRY/3/index.html?;ACTION=3;LA=446;ARTICLE=124752;GROUPID=3354;artnr=TEK-BERRY;SID=10UE23sH8AAAIAAAnLHgE721f7bc65a97c889d45e34c0db218806

Gryzor

I think the parser gets confused by the long and complex URL? Let's see if a shortened one works: WORK, DAMMIT! (edit: no, it didn't work; had to edit and insert a title for it to show).

Thanks for the link, been looking at cases all morning actually :D I think I'll go for an acrylic one, ueber-geeky little lights!

rexbeng

@Gryzor: can I see it?  :D
Ahem, I mean the RPi, den't get excited over anything  :P 

rb

Gryzor

No photo yet, I will :)

Ynot.zer0

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:37, 10 September 12

sell it and buy a BeagleBone!

beaker

Put it in a case and forget about it for 6 months... do'h!

Gryzor

@Ynot.zer0: well, yes, that's the path to hell I didn't want to go through. Get one, then get another, buy this add-on, build that one... :D

@beaker: ordering a couple of cases today. Also looking for some class 10 sd cards. I wonder how well I can run a CPC on it :)

arnoldemu

Quote from: beaker on 22:11, 10 September 12
Put it in a case and forget about it for 6 months... do'h!
you'll not be the only one.

I'm planning to use mine for general web browsing and e-mailing too. I think it will be up to it soon especially when accelerated x windows is ready.
My games. My Games

Gryzor

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:14, 11 September 12
you'll not be the only one.

I'm planning to use mine for general web browsing and e-mailing too. I think it will be up to it soon especially when accelerated x windows is ready.

I'm actually consider building a torrent box with it. Attach it to a couple of HDDs and leave it by the router...

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:56, 11 September 12
@beaker: ordering a couple of cases today. Also looking for some class 10 sd cards. I wonder how well I can run a CPC on it :)
Older arnold linux versions may be ok, I didn't check. It uses SDL which isn't accelerated.
Can't compile for opengl either.
I'm tempted to modify it to work with opengl es or directfb or perhaps using the bcm library, that should help a little.
The emulation is not really optimised for pi yet, but I plan that.

So from experience, on my emu at least, I would say, it works SLOWLY!  :laugh:
I expect if you tried other things (wine to run Windows emulators), or ones in browsers, expect the machine to almost lock up.
My games. My Games

Gryzor

Well the toughest I've thrown to it up to now is a 1080p mkv. It kept stopping to buffer,but I don't know whether the bottleneck was on the system itself or the crappy class 2 SD I used. But I saw it overlaying HD video on top of a console window with transparency, that was pretty cool.

ralferoo

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:33, 10 September 12
CPC.co.uk? Sounds like a plan! :D
I remember back in around 1986 ordering a replacement tape belt from CPC for about 50p and thought it was a nice coincidence at the time. Not sure if my parents just paid the low value order P&P fee (or even if they had that back then).

Gryzor

There was a cpc.co.uk in 1986[nb]yes, I gather it's an old store with a web storefront[/nb]? Damn mate, which planet do you live on? :D
And how did you manage to have ruined a belt already by '86?

Bryce

A pretty innovative company too, coming up with .co.uk 10 years before it was officially invented :D

Bryce.

Ynot.zer0

well, if you need a keyboard / games controller for your new Pi (eventually running an Amstrad emu...) you could back this device...

iControlPad 2 - The open source controller by Product 3 LLC - Kickstarter

(it's the guys who were behind the Pandora)

Gryzor

Quote from: Ynot.zer0 on 23:10, 13 September 12
well, if you need a keyboard / games controller for your new Pi (eventually running an Amstrad emu...) you could back this device...

iControlPad 2 - The open source controller by Product 3 LLC - Kickstarter

(it's the guys who were behind the Pandora)

It's nice, but it's... $70! (including postage)

Ynot.zer0

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:04, 14 September 12
It's nice, but it's... $70! (including postage)

very true... that's why I'm waiting another 20+ days before I decide or not.  I bought a nice Bluetooth keyboard+mouse unit (Bluetooth Rii Mini Keyboard V2 Laser Black NEW | eBay) from eBay for £22 and that seems to work great as I don't need joystick controls... (other devices are available etc..etc...)

Gryzor

I've bought a few similar ones (for the arcade cab, for the media players) off DX.com; I've also bought this very same one, probably for half the price. Great little keyboard.

beaker

Thanks for the recommendation, I think I am going to have to buy one of them too  :D  I have a Pi and another machine I'd like to use it with and the Microsoft 800 wireless keyboard I bought for another machine has sticky key syndrome with the Pi so I ended up buying a cheap Tesco Value keyboard for the Pi... I take it I can just buy another bluetooth adapter and use the same pad on several machines (obviously not at the same time)?