News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

SymbOS SGX troubles...

Started by Bloodstar, 05:58, 09 October 08

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodstar

Didn't see a dedicated thread to SymbOS, nor did I quite want to clutter up its topic on the MSX forums with a CPC-related question.

Whenever I export an image via SymStudio, I can never seem to get the image to come up in SymbOS - it's all black. I'm following the tutorial on the site exactly, but to no avail... :/

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or anything, but I just couldn't quite think of a better place to look.

Gryzor

Hello mate,

Unfortunately I'm not sure you'll get a reply here. You could try sending an IM to Prodatron, but this is mainly a forum related to the wiki rather than CPC issues. The reason is, I don't want to duplicate the functionality of existing places, like CPCZone.net, where you could probably get more feedback...

Apologies for letting you down :)
Cheers
Gryzor

Bloodstar

Aha, my mistake... Thanks for the pointer. :P

Gryzor

No problem at all, mate, you're most welcome here. I saw he discussion in the discussion list...

ukmarkh

Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but does anyone know how I can get Symbos working on a 6128 Plus model???

Ygdrazil

Hi

There are two versions, a rom version and the discversion! Which version are you using?

It should be as straight forward as using a plain 6128?

Works fine on my 6128+!

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: ukmarkh on 23:32, 16 April 09
Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but does anyone know how I can get Symbos working on a 6128 Plus model???

ukmarkh

I've tried everything... I'm sure it works fine on my stock CPC6128, but no such luck on my two Plus machines. Like I said, the 6128 Plus machine boots up using the SymbifaceII card with the image pre-installed on the card, I even get as far as the windows screen, with a start menu. The problem is nothing can be loaded, keeps moaning about the disk not being inserted.

I can't for the life of me understand why? Is there a way to re-load the full rom onto the Symiface II afresh???

Gryzor

Hmm... one for Prodatron, if he sees it... I think you can reload whatever onto the SFII if you wish, but I doubt that would be the problem...

Ygdrazil

SymbOS works on my CPC6128 ,

Unfortunately i don't have SymbifaceII to test with the CPC6128

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: ukmarkh on 21:07, 25 April 09
I've tried everything... I'm sure it works fine on my stock CPC6128, but no such luck on my two Plus machines. Like I said, the 6128 Plus machine boots up using the SymbifaceII card with the image pre-installed on the card, I even get as far as the windows screen, with a start menu. The problem is nothing can be loaded, keeps moaning about the disk not being inserted.

I can't for the life of me understand why? Is there a way to re-load the full rom onto the Symiface II afresh???

ukmarkh

:-* 

I found this solution, here it is for anyone else having the same problem:

Some time ago I had problems to make Symbos work correctly with my cpc+/symbiface2 because of my disk drives.
The following can help if anyone experienced the same problem :

Symptoms :
I modified my cpc to use two 3"5 floppy drives instead of the internal 3" drive.
I was able to start Symbos (ROM version) with the applications disk in drive A, but the system seemed to somehow "freeze" just after start-up (I don't remember if I was able to expand the "start" menu or not but I'm sure I wasn't able to start any applications)

PB explanation :
Symbos is tries to detect floppies inserted in both drives at startup and because I "grounded" the ready signal of my disque drives, symbos thought that a floppy was inserted in the "B" drive and was waiting to read it.

Solution :
Easy : Insert a disk in drive B at Symbos startup ... (not optimal but works)
Less Easy : Work out some electronic logic to simulate the ready signals of PC disk drives.

Hope it helps.
Cheers,
Fkey.

Gryzor

This should have been a concrete indication from the beginning... I've seen many troubles having to do with startup sequences, and I'd guess SymbOS would be even more sensitive (due to complexity)!