News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Translate this line for us please. Thanks!

Started by mr_lou, 19:50, 09 July 13

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

For the past 2 years or so, my girlfriend and me (LuBlu Entertainment) has been working on our 4th cellphone game; a kind of deluxe version of our game "Sort'em" from 2006.

It's been kind of a struggle to reach the finish line, when daily life consists of fulltime jobs and a kid. But we're getting there.

When a player has reached a score, he can choose to share his score, e.g. by SMS or put it on Facebook.

The game is in English only, but for this sharing option I'm thinking the text one will send could be localized a bit.

So I'm writing here to ask you to translate this line into whatever language you know:

"I scored 1,000 points in Game-Name just now! With 90.53% sorted and 80.12% correct! I challenge you to do better!"

That last part; "I challenge you to do better!" might be phrased differently in your language in daily talk. So feel free to rephrase it.

Also, using a comma as a thousand-separator is, afaik, US-specific. Same with using a period for decimals. So remember to use comma and period as they're used in your language too.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Bryce

German: "Ich habe gerade 1.000 Punkte in -Game Name- erzielt! Mit 90.53% sortiert und 80.12% richtig! Ich vordere dich heraus es besser zu machen!" (or more modern slang for the last sentence: "Mach es besser!")

French: "
J'ai viens de réaliser 1.000 points dans -Game Name- ! Avec 90,53% assortis et 80,12% corrects! Fais mieux que moi!"

Irish (Gaeilge):
"Scóráil mé 1,000 pointí i -Game Name- díreach anois! Le 90.53% curtha in eagar agus 80.12% ceart! Dúshlán a thabhairt liom tú a dhéanamh níos fearr!" (or more modern slang for the last sentence: "Buille go!")

Bryce.

Devilmarkus

"Ich fordere dich heraus, es besser zu machen!" ;)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

robcfg

I'd need to know the context of 'sorted'. Is it that in the game you sort things, or that you unlock or visit part of the game levels?

- Asumming sort as arranging items:
"Acabo de conseguir 1.000 puntos en -Game Name-! Con un 90,53% ordenado y un 80,12% correcto! Intenta superarme!"

- Asumming sorted as unlocked:
"Acabo de conseguir 1.000 puntos en -Game Name-! Con un 90,53% desbloqueado y un 80,12% correcto! Intenta superarme!"

- Assuming sorted as visited:
"Acabo de conseguir 1.000 puntos en -Game Name-! Con un 90,53% visitado y un 80,12% correcto! Intenta superarme!"

- Assuming sorted as completed
"Acabo de conseguir 1.000 puntos en -Game Name-! Con un 90,53% completado y un 80,12% correcto! Intenta superarme!"

Rob

HAL6128

Quote from: Bryce on 20:35, 09 July 13
Irish (Gaeilge): [/b]"Scóráil mé 1,000 pointí i -Game Name- díreach anois! Le 90.53% curtha in eagar agus 80.12% ceart! Dúshlán a thabhairt liom tú a dhéanamh níos fearr!" (or more modern slang for the last sentence: "Buille go!")
Nice!... never seen irish gaelic language before. Old language... I've heard that it becomes more and more popular that days.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

mr_lou

Thanks!

Inserting them now.

@robcfg, It's about sorting/arranging stuff  :) . We even made an Amstrad version of Sort'em some years back.

http://lublu.dk/filer/Billeder/sortemadvert.png

JonB

German: "Ich habe gerade 1.000 Punkte in -Game Name- erzielt! Mit 90.53% sortiert und 80.12% richtig! Ich vordere dich heraus es besser zu machen!" (or more modern slang for the last sentence: "Mach es besser!")

French: "
J'ai viens de réaliser 1.000 points dans -Game Name- ! Avec 90,53% assortis et 80,12% corrects! Fais mieux que moi!"

Irish (Gaeilge):
"Scóráil mé 1,000 pointí i -Game Name- díreach anois! Le 90.53% curtha in eagar agus 80.12% ceart! Dúshlán a thabhairt liom tú a dhéanamh níos fearr!" (or more modern slang for the last sentence: "Buille go!")

Bryce.

"Je suis un polyglot."

Nice one Bryce.. :)

TotO

QuoteI scored 1,000 points in Game-Name just now! With 90.53% sorted and 80.12% correct! I challenge you to do better!
In french, you need to know what is sorted and what is correct to get a good translation. (I suppose that was "the answers", here)
Numbers don't have separator and punctuation like ? ! : ; are never linked to the previous word. You need to add a space. (Only , and . are linked to the previous word)

A french translation should be:
"Je viens à l'instant de marquer 1000 points à Game-Name ! Avec 90.53% triées et 80.12% correctes, je vous mets au défi de faire mieux !"

Or, speaking to kids/teens:
"Je viens de faire 1000 points à Game-Name ! Avec 90.53% triées et 80.12% correctes, je te défie de faire mieux !"
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

robcfg

Quote from: mr_lou on 14:02, 10 July 13
Thanks!

Inserting them now.

@robcfg, It's about sorting/arranging stuff  :) . We even made an Amstrad version of Sort'em some years back.

http://lublu.dk/filer/Billeder/sortemadvert.png

Then your translation would be "Acabo de conseguir 1.000 puntos en -Game Name-! He ordenado un 90,53% y acertado un 80,12%! Intenta superarme!"

Regards,
Rob

mr_lou

Quote from: robcfg on 16:09, 10 July 13Then your translation would be "Acabo de conseguir 1.000 puntos en -Game Name-! He ordenado un 90,53% y acertado un 80,12%! Intenta superarme!"

Ok thanks. Dunno if I should mention then, that the items you sort in this "deluxe" version is not red and blue balls anymore. Now it's diamonds (because people like shiny things).  ;)

TFM

Diamonds and   .... ? What's the other component? Cut off tails from Kangagoos?  :laugh:  Or is it just Diamonds in two Colors? I would prefer something shiny (Diamonds) and something disgusting.  ;)

And do give that post some sense, here the overworked German Version:

"Ich habe gerade 1.000 Punkte in -Game Name- erzielt! Und 90.53% sortiert, davon 80.12% richtig! Mach es besser, wenn Du kannst!")

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:07, 10 July 13
"Ich habe gerade 1.000 Punkte in -Game Name- erzielt! Und 90.53% sortiert, davon 80.12% richtig! Mach es besser, wenn Du kannst!")

Thanks, but I don't think that's quite accurate.
Makes it sound like the 80.12% is of the 90.53%. So that you sorted 80.12% of the 90.53% correct - but that's not what you did. You sorted 90.53% of 100%, and you sorted 80.12% of 100% correct.

And yes, you'll be sorting black'n'white diamonds.

TotO

In fact, you original english sentence is not understandable...
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

mr_lou

Quote from: TotO on 20:59, 10 July 13
In fact, you original english sentence is not understandable...

Let's say there are 200 diamonds, and you go through 100 of them. That means you sorted 50%
Of the 100 you sorted, you only got 90 correct. That means you got 45% correct.

So you sorted 50% and got 45% correct.

Get it now? How would you phrase it?

TFM

How can the program judge my sorting of Diamonds I never sorted?

It better should Focus only on the number of Diamonds I did sort. And tell me how good that has been.

If I sort only 10% of all Diamonds, but I do that 100% perfect then I only get an Overall right-sort-score of 10%. And all that only because my phone did ring!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

Quote from: TFM/FS on 21:18, 10 July 13
How can the program judge my sorting of Diamonds I never sorted?

It better should Focus only on the number of Diamonds I did sort. And tell me how good that has been.

If I sort only 10% of all Diamonds, but I do that 100% perfect then I only get an Overall right-sort-score of 10%. And all that only because my phone did ring!

If you phone rings, the game exits and you'll have to start over again. So no worries there. ;-)

Let's say you sort 20 of the 200 diamonds, and you sort all 20 correct. You'd then want it to say "You sorted 10% and 100% correct!" instead of "You sorted 10% and 10% correct!" ??

That'll just render the "100%" part kinda worthless. I mean, it won't mean a whole lot as it doesn't really tell a lot about how good the player did. Sorting 20 diamonds 100% correct isn't that admirable. That's at least how I see it.

mr_lou

Maybe it would be better to tell how many diamonds it is, instead of how many percent it is.

"I sorted 200 diamonds and 187 of them was correct" ?

Or "I sorted 187 diamonds correct just now, out of 200 sorted total" ?

Maybe that's easier to relate to. The percent figures obviously confuse people - and we don't want that of course.

robcfg

I think the problem is the use of sort. If a set of thing is sorted, then is perfectly sorted, otherwise is isn't sorted at all.

Maybe something along the lines of "I got 187 of 200 diamonds sorted" or "I got 187 of 200 diamonds right" would be better.

In that case it would be like this in spanish:

"Acabo de conseguir 1.000 puntos en -Game Name-! He acertado 187 de 200 diamantes! Intenta superarme!"

mr_lou

I see what you mean.

I'm thinking, maybe it doesn't matter how many the player went through then. Maybe it only matter how many was actually sorted correctly.
Because maybe too many numbers just confuse people. So maybe it sounds better to just say

"I scored 1,000 points in Pirate Diamonds just now. Sorted 187 diamonds right!" or "Got 187 diamonds sorted right".

A bit more simple, with 2 numbers anyone should be able to understand. What do you think?
Would anyone care about how many was sorted wrong? I'm thinking, probably not.

mr_lou

Or....  if it is the word "sorted" that's buggin' you, what other word could be used then?

I mean......

Say you just went through 200 diamonds and you got 187 correct and you scored 10,000 points.....   how would you phrase that when "braggin'" about it?

That's basically all I want to know. :-)

Bryce

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 10:34, 10 July 13
"Ich fordere dich heraus, es besser zu machen!" ;)

Korinthenkacker! :D

Bryce.

Bryce

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 13:49, 10 July 13
Nice!... never seen irish gaelic language before. Old language... I've heard that it becomes more and more popular that days.

Yes, there's very few of us "strange people from the Island" left that speak the language, but it is supposedly becoming cool to speak it again.

Bryce.

mr_lou

Turns out this "challenge-your-friend" / "share-your-score" phrasing is as much as challenge as any other part of this project.

The percent-numbers confuse people. And the word "Sorted" confuse people.

So now I'm thinking, maybe it should instead be something as simple as:

"123 pirate diamonds and 12,345 points! Beat that!"

or

"123 of 140 pirate diamonds and 12,345 points! Beat that!"

(Name of the game is "Pirate Diamonds")

Is that better? Probably easier for people to relate to a plain number instead of a percentage.

Help me people. This part is important in relation to spreading the game.

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 09:48, 12 July 13
Korinthenkacker! :D

Bryce.
Wenn schon, das D in Dich muss groß geschrieben sein. [nb]Alles andere später, ich muss mal kurz Korinthen kacken gehen ;-)[/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft

MaV

Quote from: TFM/FS on 16:36, 12 July 13[nb]Alles andere später, ich muss mal kurz Korinthen kacken gehen ;-)[/nb]
Das muss höllisch weh tun! ;)
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."