News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Tron Legacy

Started by TFM, 19:25, 02 December 10

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDeath

I love this one, yet a bit short...

Also :

How fun, this is supposed to be a Daft Punk album but they had a composer with them, you know movies music is a lot into violin and grand orchestra...

But perhaps 3-4 songs only actually sound like DaftPunk.

Yet it is quite nice album, I listen to it this week and it is great to go sleep.

Protip : Tron (the program) is the masked red baddy with 4 square dots displaying a "T"....
It was re-programmed by CLU and is his henchman...

Needless to say the "old" actor don't do the stunts, but somethimes you may see his face as Tron... and he still play his role as User.

Just too Bad the...original Tron Blond hottie is no more here... or is she ?

Also : TRON font : I should search for one and get it into CPC friendly...

khisanth

I really enjoyed this film. Very very different to the first one, much more gritty and dark. The look is very different too. I could see some people not liking it as its  not like the first one, but hey hardware and software has been upgraded by nearly 30 years or so!

TFM

28 years to be precise... the Encom 511 had time enough to evolve ;-)

Now I'm back from Munich and I'm going to watch Tron Legacy once more in 3D and maybe some times more and more ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

Going to see the new movie on sunday in 3D with my girlfriend, kidbrother and another friend. It'll be the first movie I see in 3D. Good choice for a first time experience I think.  :)

I found this modern trailer of the old movie on YouTube. That's how the original trailer should have been I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp2gGqgn3Fw

mr_lou

Well.... slightly disappointed.

We give it 2 out of 5 stars. It's ok, but not more than that. Nothing more to say about that.

TFM

Saw Tron Legacy (TL) last Friday a second time, even more wonderfull. Can't imagine how the IMDB can give less than 10 of 10. The anti-christian critics about TL in the german Wikipedia are really disgusting, I can imagine from which peoples origin they are.

We already can see, TL is one of the most misunderstood movies. It was in a bit the same with TRON - now 29 years ago - most of the people just don't have access to a certain kind of thoughts.

Maybe you must be at least 40 or older to really understand and appreciate TL, means you should have seen TRON in it's time and you probably should be able to understand what's going on in a computer. CPC teached some of us well, todays generation doesn't even get this chance (a sad thing... to miss the time of the pioneers...). Well, I missed the 60ies, we all have to sacrifice some epoches...

I like CLU's insisting in creating the perfect system - cause, in a digital world perfection can be reached. I invested years of my life to create the perfect system too. However, that killing of the ISOs was not a logic thing, cause they're at least as perfect as ordinary programs.
Further I'm curious how the story with TRON (the program) will continue. I'm pretty much sure, there will be a third part... all the doors for it are open: Tron remembered who he is, the Grid is saved on a chip now, and even the last ISO is save in our world for the moment...

Maybe it's time to create the third part of this story on CPC first ;)

Have a good day programs, (and users if some are still reading...)
TFM

End of line
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

redbox

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:36, 10 January 11
I invested years of my life to create the perfect system too.

Do you mean FutureOS?

TFM

Quote from: redbox on 20:53, 10 January 11
Do you mean FutureOS?

If I say yes, then they're going to burn me like the witches in old times... Perfection lies always a bit in the eye of one ;-) You can argue parts of it, but probably not the parts that are connected to your taste or so...
TFM of FutureSoft

mr_lou

I doubt there'll be a 3rd part. Too poor reviews, from what I've heard.

I saw the first Tron movie when I was a kid, and have watched it a few times since as well, so I'm one of the few who knew that Tron was actually a program and not the name of the world it all happens in.

There are things in the old movie that are silly as well, but that was 1982 and this is now. I really think they should have done a number of things differently in Tron Legacy. Too many things are just illogical, considering it is a computer, as you say.

For example, it makes no sense that Tron suddenly remembers who he is, just because he gets eye-contact with Sam. He had plenty of time to look at Sam during the games first in the movie.
And it's also silly that Sam appears in the grid world at a copy of Kevin's office, and have to exit way up in the air where "it's difficult to reach". Difficult to reach? They could all fly!
I can accept that the light-cycles now turn 360 degrees and are able to perform jumps - because of evolution or whatever you want to call it. But they can't leave the game grid? What? Ok ok... we can come up with an excuse for that too. Some players probably left the game grid a while back, so Clu made new rules that prevented them from doing so in the future. We can find excuses for most things, but I still think it's silly. It's like they've been discussing the plot: "Ok, so Sam escapes the same way Kevin did?"
"Yea, and then Clu and the other baddies follows"
"So how does he escape?"
"hmm... let's just say they can't"
"...can't? What? Why not?"
"....the bikes has to stay on the game-grid"
"How can Sam escape then?"
"Um...let's say he gets picked up"

But there are also things I liked. I recognized a few of the Linux commands when a character was typing in the console, and it's really nice to finally see some non-scifi regarding that part. (As opposed to the hacking-scenes in e.g. Hackers or Jurassic Park).
I also liked the many things they kept from the original, from the recognizers to the presentation of the identity disc, which was kept from the 1982 movie word by word.
And the music was great all the way! Sadly they over-used it. Even when the story was slowing down, the music kept on booming as if they were telling me "Hey, this is a great moment in the movie" - and I looked around to see where this great moment was hiding.

All in all Tron Legacy was disappointing to me. It's a thin predictable story, and it really deserved much more. It deserved much more thinking before it went into production.

TFM

Oh wow! Can't answer all that points. Finally it's all about personal taste and personal expectations.

The secret of my luck is not to expect anything. I'm glad for everything that comes to me. This way I had a lot of fun with TL.

Some of your points: Tron recognizes Sam, because he lost some drops of blood! It's not the eyecontact. At the end Flynn asks Tron "What have you become", so he did remember and regenerated (while falling down). Tron was corrupted by CLU, but not completely take over.

I liked that idea with Flynn's in the digital world. Flynn created it, an what would be more appropriate. It would do it like Flynn has done it. I mean if you swap worlds, the you will appreciate that the environment does not change completely too.

The Light Cycles can't leave the game grit, because they learnt from the first movie: Don't let programs escape that way, so the new light cycles will shut off outside. Logical ;-)

And why shouldn't they be able to jump and choose their angle? They coevolved with video games and so on. Time doesn't stand still in the encom 511 *g*

Hehe, your fake-dialogue of the plot is great! Probably you're right with it and thay really did it that stupid way, but hey, I don't care ;-) TL is a "must like it" thing for me :-)

Well, they had 28 years to think about the story. I must admit, that this father-son conversation was really a bit chopped off, some moment of endurance or relaxation was missing. There was no break for all that action.

With the music... right.... TL was way more darker and the music was very darker too. I wished the first part and TL would have been meeting a bit in the middle. On the other hand, this very dark athmosphere supports the danger of CLU. CLU is the bad guy doning genocide and all this things.. I mean they made him that mean, cause they needed a bad guy. However programs don't have a trade union, so what can they do?

Hope you will see that movie in some time with less expectations and with more delight again ;-)

Greetings user!

TFM of FutureSoft

redbox

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:57, 10 January 11
Perfection lies always a bit in the eye of one ;-) You can argue parts of it, but probably not the parts that are connected to your taste or so...

Absolutely, I agree.

It's nice to see the discussion about TL as I wasn't interested in seeing it, but now I think I might well have to go to make up my own mind!

MacDeath

Remember flynn is a user, hence he have some user's powers...
He doesn't just look into his eyes, he's cracking his code too...

Eyes contact works like Multiface... ::)

Amstari

Quote from: mr_lou on 21:22, 10 January 11
I doubt there'll be a 3rd part. Too poor reviews, from what I've heard.

There is going to be a third movie and an animated series too.

I really enjoyed the movie. It's good that they made a sequel rather than a remake. 

Just remember it's not supposed to be some real life ocsar winning drama, it's action packed science fiction. I don't pay any attention to reviews of movies (or games) anymore.

MacDeath

TFM

Cool! I'm thinking of making a CPC Tron before the release of part 3 ;-) Wished I have time enough ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft

mr_lou

Quote from: TFM/FS on 22:14, 10 January 11
Some of your points: Tron recognizes Sam, because he lost some drops of blood!

Simply not true. Tron realizes Sam is a user yes, but he has no idea who he is. It isn't untill the eye-contact with Sam later, that Tron "wakes up".

Quote from: TFM/FS on 22:14, 10 January 11It's not the eyecontact. At the end Flynn asks Tron "What have you become", so he did remember and regenerated (while falling down).

Flynn doesn't ask Tron anything. Flynn ask that question silently to himself. Tron hears nothing.

It's clear that you're a fan of the movie, so obviously sees things like you want, and that's fine.

Quote from: Amstari link=topic=1633.msg17960#msg17960   date=1294748973Just remember it's not supposed to be some real life   ocsar winning drama, it's action packed science fiction. I don't pay any   attention to reviews of movies (or games) anymore.

I don't pay attention to reviews either. I always judge for myself. And there are good movies and bad movies. Tron  Legacy is not what I'd call a good movie. It's just "ok". But it could have been a great movie if only they'd spent more time putting the logic together. It is the illogical things in the movie that drags it down.
Illogical is fine in other movies. But here where everything happens in The Grid, there should be much more logic.

But I admit I'm picky. There are very few movies I rate as being "good".

But ok. IMDB rating is 7.4, which isn't as bad as it could be. So maybe you're right about a 3rd part.

TFM

Quote from: mr_lou on 08:51, 12 January 11
Flynn doesn't ask Tron anything. Flynn ask that question silently to himself. Tron hears nothing.

Well, I must admit I saw the american original, which may be different from the german version... However I take now a look at my TL DVD... moment...

So, Flynn DOES INDEED speat to Tron, you can see his lips moving. Flynn is a use he can do that. Also in the first Tron Flynn saved Yori from deresolution just by touching her.

Flynn is a user, you can't judge his powers... ;-)

About logic... don't question the logic of the movie, we're out of the grid, who do we are to question a user - that's a sacrilege.

But thanks for your comments :-)

Will go and watch it a third time in the 3D cinema on Friday! The more often I see that movie, the more perfect it becomes in my eyes.
TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

A new thing :
I wanted since long to test Arkos Tracker..

i'm debuting... and tried to get Derezzed on Starkos...
Ouch, those trackers are not Noob-friendly...

The tracks are almost OK... but instruments were cannibalized elsewhere so are not optimal...
But it is not properly mixed (the part in right order to compose the song...) because I am starting and learning, and the mix facilities are somewhat...odd on those trackers...

Will try to get this better soon.

So you have to load this from Arkos tracker.

Post edition : ok, here is a temporary mix from Daft Punk's DerAYzzAYd...
Enjoys, the instruments/sounds are not worked yet...

TFM

Quote from: MacDeath on 22:11, 13 January 11
A new thing :
I wanted since long to test Arkos Tracker..

i'm debuting... and tried to get Derezzed on Starkos...
Ouch, those trackers are not Noob-friendly...

The tracks are almost OK... but instruments were cannibalized elsewhere so are not optimal...
But it is not properly mixed (the part in right order to compose the song...) because I am starting and learning, and the mix facilities are somewhat...odd on those trackers...

Will try to get this better soon.

So you have to load this from Arkos tracker.

Post edition : ok, here is a temporary mix from Daft Punk's DerAYzzAYd...
Enjoys, the instruments/sounds are not worked yet...

Hey, welcome in the lower night ;-)

Played it with ST-Sound... awesome. We got our first piece of sound for our new game!!!
(I have now to open a history file for our project :-))))
TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

Thx.

But this is a Raw Mix, I don't think it is suitable as it is (instruments/sounds are not especially designed...) But it is not like the Tron project will be released toomorrow... :-\

I used a Guitarpro freeware clone to get the tunes and copied those artisanaly by hand... it is called Tuxguitar.

a patch to import tunes from GuitarPro files directly into Arkos Tracker would be a killer app... :-\

Because there are a lot of stuff (commercial songs) availlable on the internet.

Amstari

I took the kids into the toy section at the shops today and I found Tron Legacy idenity disks!

This is the disk for Rinzler. They also had one for Sam Flynn and a really cool white one for Kevin Flynn.

mr_lou

Can we have a CPC executable of that music track?

I can't play it with neither of my YM players, and I'm unable to run Arkos Tracker here on Linux.

MacDeath

Er... don't know actually, I'm noob with Arkos Tracker...

It runs well on my AY emulator (speccy oriented...).
I wanted to upload the .Wav  but it was far too heavy, and I can't make it into a MP
3 (well, didn't have time for this...)

only Linux ? awww com'on... a good old portable PC with a Windows is always handy...

but you know ? when I get the mix faithfull to the real "DErezzed" tunes... perhaps getting a Video with the visuak in CPc movie (the stuff you do with HDD and Symbiface and Symbos ???) and the song... so a "CPC mockup of the video clip"... would be just too kool (even if faked a bit, not really CPC taken...)

So this in CPC video "format" (sort of) + my soon to be chiptune/port... a good mix to put on the net then...

mr_lou

Quote from: MacDeath on 01:15, 15 January 11only Linux ? awww com'on... a good old portable PC with a Windows is always handy...

For the sake of peace, I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that.

MacDeath

Denmark... ok Norscaman... the fact Linus Thorvald is... Norscand perhaps alter your judgement... ;D