News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

V

Started by mr_lou, 20:14, 14 June 10

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:54, 09 July 10
Well, my fav SF movie is Tarkovski's Solaris

I was also thinking about this one :-)      And there were all these huge-super-computer-sf-movies, they brought people to thinking. The thinking thing I usually miss today.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Quote from: MacDeath on 15:29, 09 July 10
From what I remember, the first "movies" (TV-movies actually) were an obvious analog to the Nazis invasions and Holocaust...

The Visitor's sign is a sort of Swastikas, and the Scientist from Mankind ar hunted down and deported (exterminated, served as food....).
It's quite dark and grim... and really obvious : a jewish scientist talk about the fact the visitors are doing exactly as the Nazis did in Europe....

I really disagree. The Nazis never told the others to be their friends.

And btw. what you are describing here (hunting scientists...), that was happening in Poland in Katyn, but it was done by the Russians! But they won the war and so they blamed the Nazis for their dirty deeds.

History is a book of lies written by the winners of a war. That was true in the ancient Egypt and it is still true. If you want to know about history then go to the people and speak with them, but don't buy the books of lies.

Another good example that would fit is what's going on in Palestina. And this is going on actually, and eveyone can influence the present in a positive way, but not the past that easiey.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

QuoteI really disagree. The Nazis never told the others to be their friends.
Unless you were blond and willing to volunteer against the USSR on the Eastern front.. :-\

Of course, not that much, but...
Collaboration in France...
also some central Europe country collaborated too.

And Holocaust was a long process with many steps...

QuoteAnd   btw. what you are describing here (hunting scientists...), that was   happening in Poland in Katyn, but it was done by the Russians! But they   won the war and so they blamed the Nazis for their dirty deeds.
I know what happened at Katyn, my grandmother is Polka.
The analogy wasn't centered on Scientist...
in fact in V, the Scientists were hunted like the Jews were in Nazi occuped europe...and a Jew scientist in the movie told about it.

QuoteHistory   is a book of lies written by the winners of a war. That was true in the   ancient Egypt and it is still true. If you want to know about history   then go to the people and speak with them, but don't buy the books of   lies.
I wasn't... I was just describing an aspect of the original V that was clearly obvious and assumed...

QuoteAnother good example that would fit is what's going on in   Palestina. And this is going on actually, and eveyone can influence the   present in a positive way, but not the past that easiey.
Don't see how it is related to what i told ?

BTW, V was a 80's show, and the similarities with historical Nazism are not always directly evident, because it's in a Scy-fy setting in a modern world (80's...) and a different context...
But some element were inspirationnal in V.

Also Stalin Era in Russia has its share of attrocities too..."1984" novel is more about Stalin than Hitler... But I wasn't implying anything, just talking about V...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_%281983_miniseries%29

QuoteThe story became a Nazi allegory, right down to the Swastika-like   emblem used by the Visitors and their SS-like   uniforms. There is a youth auxiliary movement called the "Friends of   the Visitors" with obvious similarities to the Hitler   Youth, and Visitor broadcasts mimic Nazi-era propaganda.   The show's portrayal of human interaction with the Visitors bears a   striking resemblance to stories from Occupied Europe during World   War II with some citizens choosing collaboration   and others choosing to join underground resistance movements.
Where the Nazis persecuted primarily Jews, the   Visitors were instead depicted to persecute scientists, their families,   and anyone associating with them. They also distribute propaganda   in an effort to hide their true identity. Some of the main characters   in the initial series were from a Jewish family and the grandfather, a Holocaust survivor, frequently commented on the   events of the past again unfolding. Once they are in a position to do   so, the Visitors later declare martial   law to control the scientists (and resistance fighters) as well.

Of course the Visitor's uniforms being Red is clearly an 80's cold war typical feature...

"Bad guys are Reds... like commies..."...lol.

As in GI-Joe...lol...
Cobra : red sign, red lazers, and, well...reptilian related, sort of.

Leonie

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:26, 09 July 10
The Nazis never told the others to be their friends.

That´s not surprising.
You get what you pay for.

TFM

McDeath: However, the way the girls had their hair in the 80ies is imho very beautiful ;) , that's clearly something I miss today. Girls with short hairs ... brrr!  :o :'( ???
TFM of FutureSoft

mr_lou

V wasn't a sci-fi "Dallas" at first.
The Original Miniseries + Final Battle were quite good. The story wasn't predictable, and the acting was good.
But THEN came "The Complete Series", which is completely like Dallas yes. Lousy story and poor acting. Clearly just made to squeeze more money out of a hit show. Special effects are gone, and the few special effects that are there, are simply taken from the original miniseries + final battle. Nothing new. Whole scenes are just repeated over and over again.
This is why I recommend only watching the original miniseries + final battle. That's 5 long episodes in total.
Skip the 19 short episodes of The Complete Series. They're worthless.

MacDeath

QuoteMcDeath: However, the way the girls had their hair in the 80ies is imho   very beautiful ;) , that's clearly something I   miss today. Girls with short hairs ... brrr!  :o :'( ???
No problem my friend, it's just that... well... I understand that talking about Nazi Era can give me godwin points and turn Deutschlanders into frenzy aggro butthurt (sorry for speaking like this, too much beer...) but it wasn't the case.

It was just was I felt at the time concerning V, as Wikipedia confirmed...

I love European history, and my grandfather went to Auswitz as a french resistant... yet I actually like German culture (bier, metal and roasted pork sausages...), poeples (Gamma Ray, Helloween, Birth control, Kraftwerk... and you...) and achievments (first outer spaces pictures of Earth from a V1 ( or V2 ?) rocket per example...)...

And this is old story, we can go through that...

Also Angela Merkel is a Busty Milf sometimes...when she goes to Opera in Nordic countries... (lol...)

Well the new "V" Diana is a sweet short haired  hottie.... but the good old one was even more bitchie.

Perhaps the 80's Hair was on purpose to hide some lizard forehead features.... ;)

Also, congratz for getting the "little final" in mundial... 3rd place is quite a good place actually... (compared to the French circus, lol) you end on a victory (yet I liked Uruguay too... they did well...).

QuoteV wasn't a sci-fi "Dallas" at first.
The Original Miniseries + Final   Battle were quite good. The story wasn't predictable, and the acting was   good.
But THEN came "The Complete Series", which is completely like   Dallas yes. Lousy story and poor acting. Clearly just made to squeeze   more money out of a hit show. Special effects are gone, and the few   special effects that are there, are simply taken from   the original miniseries + final battle. Nothing new. Whole scenes are   just repeated over and over again.
This is why I recommend only   watching the original miniseries + final battle. That's 5 long episodes   in total.
Skip the 19 short episodes of The Complete Series. They're   worthless.
Completely right...
I even couldn't understand how the hell the lizards V had no more their strange voice effect... as it was a major  fluff feature actually.

Also : many Syfy series from this era  and further (ex : code quantum...) weren't actually finished...
BattleStar Galactica too...(the real one with the cyber teddy bear and face from A-Team)
Because Syfy series were expensive, and producers couldn't see further than 1 year of exploitation, as perhaps a pair of year later, the cancelled serie was an international hit, but too late, it was often cancelled  1 year agobecause mainstream hour broadcast on american TV didn't worked...

So many great series of my youth where orphan series, cancelled before it could develop a good story ending and still managed to be internationnal hits...

Or had only one first season, then cancelled, then a shitty sequel that completely screwed the original internationnal success thx to .... cost down production to milk money on original success...lol...

Fu*****g americans producers/TV.... give us Futurama back !!!!!!

Oh and yeah, dub and footage re-use kills it, but that's so 80's...
Hype and cheap.. (like an amstrad perhaps ?)

Gryzor

Quote from: MacDeath on 23:16, 09 July 10
Also Stalin Era in Russia has its share of attrocities too..."1984" novel is more about Stalin than Hitler... But I wasn't implying anything, just talking about V...

Actually, I think that the way things go, in 20 years tops we'll be looking at the UK and be seeing 1984. Don't forget that there's something distinctively British about it...

About the V photos: love the chick in the first photo, she manages to shine through the 80s styling! I also love the fake computer stuff, it's like a CPC game with all those colours :D

TFM

Love and Peace guys, Love and Peace!
TFM of FutureSoft

AMSDOS

I remember the strange metamorphosis which went on in Liberation Day, at the time I was too young to understand what was going on and had nightmares about it! Naturally I was concerned my skin was going to go Green!!  ???
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

TFM

You are an alien! Without even knowing it!!!
TFM of FutureSoft

AMSDOS

TFM/FS wrote:

You are an alien! Without even knowing it!!!

Okay.....!

But I watch some of Liberation Day yesterday and the start to Dreadnought I think the second show was called, I have to say I found it very soapie for a Sci-Fi! But there's something else to it, it's perhaps in the rhelms of Disaster some Soapie some Sci-Fi. Some of those 90s Sci-Fi's come Disaster I would put into that are movies like Indepenance Day, Deep Impact, The Core & that other one where they go to Mars - Mission to Mars I think it's called! V might have been an interesting concept film in it's day given America were worrying about what the Russians were going to do and of course America were doing all these films about bombings and nuclear holocausts, I call seeing the Miniseries TV movies quite a few years ago as reruns (don't think I ever saw them in 1983 or whenever they came out originally) and they perhaps might be better than the TV show, though like some of the others have put it the TV show definitely has some niggles about it. It even looks at if the actor playing Donovan hurt himself jumping off a building like that towards the end of Liberation Day.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3