News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

V

Started by mr_lou, 20:14, 14 June 10

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

Feeling like being nostalgic, I bought "V - The Complete Series" yesterday. Then I learned that it's actually not "complete" at all, since there first was "The Mini Series" and then "The Final Battle" and then "The Complete Series"...
So now I found those first 2 on eBay and bought those as well....

Anyone else remembers V?

Here's some YouTube clips

TV intro

Fan trailer

I was thinking, when completed the nostalgic series, then start the new versions.  :)

New version sneak peak

New version promo trailer

MacDeath

Are they doing a remake at the moment ?
Seems to not respect the original that well.

yeah, this serie was part of the 80's madness.

Great music too...

I remember the 2 hot evil girlz... the brune (diana ?) and the blonde...
With their 80's Hair and makeup...yet quite hot bot of them...
This red uniform was a bit of Baywathch before baywatch (with less skin exposed though)...
And less runing boob shaking sequences also...

This serie was also a fetish-fuel...

Like furries, but scally and vore... :P

Oh and Freddy Krugger was part of it, lol...

[youtube=APpsanbh354]wow[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APpsanbh354

nurgle

OMG, totally forgot about that one. It's even worse than I remember. Now you made me want to watch it all over again! Look what you have done!  :'(

Gryzor

I remember that we didn't have this on TV here in Greece back in the 80s. So when I was looking at the game I was all "wtf?"...

mr_lou

Alright, we have just completed the entire series now.

First, there was The Original Mini Series consisting of 2 movie-length episodes. They were quite good, with better acting than I remember. Worth a re-look if you're feeling nostalgic.
Then came The Final Battle, which consisted of 3 movie-length episodes. They were also quite good, with equally good acting.
But then came The Complete Series, consisting of 19 episodes of about 30 minutes. The name itself is stupid, because it's not the complete series. What it is, is a poor continuation with poor acting and 50% re-use of scenes from the 2 first shows. There's no proper ending, and no proper storyline. Just a classic example of someone milking money on a show that became a hit.

So, if you feel like watching the show again, find The Original Mini Series and The Final Battle somewhere online, but leave The Complete Series alone. It's a waste of time.

trocoloco

Mr Lou what happens is that "the complete series" are not really that complete because they did not finish the series as it was supposed to end, for some reason they didn't film the last episode, who knows...

Here in souther Spain where I live, a regional TV is  broadcasting both series, the new 2009 version and the 80's, one after the other, so its a good way to compare them. I prefer the 80s one, but the new one despite of its poor special effects it does have a good plot

Gryzor

Who cares about V... Battlestar Galactica rules :D

MacDeath

QuoteWho cares about V... Battlestar Galactica rules
The one with Face from the A-Team and a scrappy cybernetic teddybear  ? or the one with the damn hot sexy cylon chicks ?

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:43, 30 June 10
Who cares about V... Battlestar Galactica rules :D

Indeed, but when you've already seen Battlestar Galactica twice, and there's far too little scifi in the world, then you take what you can get. V isn't the worst. Stargate series was more disappointing at least.

steve

Just my opinion, but the best sci-fi series was FARSCAPE next was Babylon 5, both had a progressive storyline which meant that you had to watch every episode or you lost track of the story, with other series it did not matter if you missed a few episodes or even watched repeats out of sequence, so if you do not need to watch every episode why waste time watching any?.

Gryzor

Quote from: steve on 14:02, 30 June 10
Just my opinion, but the best sci-fi series was FARSCAPE next was Babylon 5,

Babylon 5? Aaaaargh! I'm sorry, those CGI series bore me to tears... I haven't watched Farscape, maybe it's worth downloading from the plot of it...

Quote from: MacDeath on 11:14, 30 June 10
The one with Face from the A-Team and a scrappy cybernetic teddybear  ? or the one with the damn hot sexy cylon chicks ?

Damn hot sexy cylon chicks, of course! What sort of question is this???!!!

Btw, you do realise we're talking about space operas here, not SciFi, right? Because then we should start talking about - oh, I don't know, Ray Bradbury's Theater maybe...

TFM

Oh friends, if I read your lines I feel quite old. Well, I'll be 40 in 11 days, that may be the reason.

But... V the old serie was great! Don't know the remake, but remakes are usually not as good as the original. As we can see with Battlestar Galactica, the old ones have been great, the new cover version is (don't want to slap Gryzor and MacDeath here...) ... well ... is ... not so much my thing.
However, the V for the Amstrad should have been done better, maybe it was Basic or a Spectrum por*.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

We have never seen the old version of Battlestar Galactica, but we found the new one absolutely brilliant. Definitely one of the best series we've ever seen, with only minor silly scenes. This is also why we've watched it twice.
The only sad thing about it is, that the authors decided to go on a strike, resulting in a crap season 4 and crap season 4.5. That was really sad. Because season 1 - 3 is just great! Too bad everything has to be destroyed by money all the time.

I've been thinking about watching the old version too, but somehow I don't think it'll appeal to me.

I've heard from 2 mates who's seen the new V, and they both say it's good. My girlfriend read somewhere online, that people say the old V vs the new V is kinda like the old Battlestar Galactica vs the new Battlestar Galactica. So I'm looking forward to seeing the new version of V. :)

Gryzor

I had started watching BSG on the insistence of a friend; my own reaction was "naaaaahhhhh not anoooother CGI sci-fi thing... got enough of them in the Amiga days...". But I got hooked and watched the first season in two days. Then I re-watched it with my girlfriend who also absolutely loved it (and, of course, she claims she's Kara Thrace). The old one is too cheesy for my tastes... Oh, I also found the ending very, very moving. And I really liked the fact that they didn't go for an apocalyptic, all-out SFX battle.

V - bahhhh! It started as interesting but we quickly lost all interest :(

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:39, 02 July 10
V - bahhhh! It started as interesting but we quickly lost all interest :(

Is that the new version you're talking about there?

TFM

Hmmm... think finally it's all about what you see first. Usually people like the things (movies, music, computers ...) the most which they have seen / got in their hands first.

I've been quite young when I saw Battlestar Galactica first, and it was really scary (for a young boy), especially that session where these insect friends of the cylons prepate humans for a meal... However the old series had great actors and created a great world. The new cover version suffers under the (bad) actors (despite the fact that Adams is played great!), the cripled story and especially the look of the Cylons. These new Cylons are not scary at all, the old ones freeze you blood (If you disagree, I'll take my Cylon-Outfit, come to your house and only your microwave can stop me in killing you... However, Microwave-food will then kill you... so better be scared ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

Quote from: TFM/FS on 21:34, 02 July 10
However the old series had great actors and created a great world. The new cover version suffers under the (bad) actors (despite the fact that Adams is played great!), the cripled story and especially the look of the Cylons.

What??? I completely disagree. We think it's really good acting in the new version, and the story is great too. Only season 4 ruins the series, because the authors went on strike. Otherwise it's some of the best acting we've seen.

But when you say the acting is better in the old version, then I'm intrigued. Maybe we should watch it. We've just been rather certain that we'd be disappointed, so we have left it alone so far.

TFM

Quote from: mr_lou on 06:46, 03 July 10
But when you say the acting is better in the old version, then I'm intrigued. Maybe we should watch it. We've just been rather certain that we'd be disappointed, so we have left it alone so far.

You didn't see the Original? Ohhhhh! Well, this explains a lot ;-)

However, the good thing about movies (tv series) is that everybody can have a own taste, every oppinion can be accepted and must be respected :-)

I'm sure you will still like the new cover version more, after seeing the old series, because you've seen the new series first.
If you would have seen the old original first, I think, then you would like them more. You really should watch them! And please don't damn them because you prefer the new one anyway or because TFM loves the old one. Take a look at them (old series) with open eyes and you will like them. The evil human Baltar is soooooo much better in the old serie ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft

mr_lou

Quote from: TFM/FS on 00:15, 05 July 10The evil human Baltar is soooooo much better in the old serie ;-)

That sounds rather amazing, because I think he's brilliant in the new version. Great acting in my opinion.

Gryzor

Quote from: mr_lou on 14:26, 02 July 10
Is that the new version you're talking about there?

Yes, the new one. In the past I had started watching the old one but it was far too cheesy for my taste buds. But, who knows, maybe for its era it was good...

Also, I think that acting is great in the new series. Ok, not maybe like Deadwood-level acting or something, but still pretty good for a SF series and absolutely enjoyable. And indeed Baltar was great...

TFM

Quote from: mr_lou on 06:16, 05 July 10
That sounds rather amazing, because I think he's brilliant in the new version. Great acting in my opinion.

Well, his acting is ok. But the type of person is very different.

In the new BG Baltar is just a Cylon-abused, selfish scientist, who hides between the legs of a blonde (cylon) girl (episode 1). In the old BG Balter was a real strong and evil guy, the kind of enemy you really fear. While the old BG was really scary, in the new series there is nobody and nothing that could frighten you. IMHO...
Ok, the cylons nuked all human planets... but some days later the resistance is on this planets and they look all good an healthy. If you ever see bodies coming in contact with radioactive fall-out - believe me, they look very different. (BTW: Tschernobyl killed 800.000 humans). So what did the cylons use? Neutron bombs??? In the new series I see toooo much logical errors (like you see them in these days always and ever, if you have some basic knowledge about natural sciences - and I think you will share this point of critic with me. But this is not about V or BG, it's about this new modern time, in which people stop using their logic.... :-( ... hmmm).
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Quote from: TFM/FS on 23:30, 05 July 10

Well, his acting is ok. But the type of person is very different.

In the new BG Baltar is just a Cylon-abused, selfish scientist, who hides between the legs of a blonde (cylon) girl (episode 1). In the old BG Balter was a real strong and evil guy, the kind of enemy you really fear. While the old BG was really scary, in the new series there is nobody and nothing that could frighten you. IMHO...

So? It's a *remake*, not a replay. I really love both the characters and the dynamics even if different from the original. The moment with Model 6 hears and sees him in a reversal of what was happening before, was hair-raising...

Ok, the cylons nuked all human planets... but some days later the resistance is on this planets and they look all good an healthy. If you ever see bodies coming in contact with radioactive fall-out - believe me, they look very different. (BTW: Tschernobyl killed 800.000 humans). So what did the cylons use? Neutron bombs??? In the new series I see toooo much logical errors (like you see them in these days always and ever, if you have some basic knowledge about natural sciences - and I think you will share this point of critic with me. But this is not about V or BG, it's about this new modern time, in which people stop using their logic.... :-( ... hmmm).

Man, you do realise you're watching a sci-fi, space opera fairytale, right? There's that thin called "suspension of disbelief"... :D Or we could discuss about the details that don't make sense (sound in space, anyone?) for years to come...

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:29, 08 July 10
Man, you do realise you're watching a sci-fi, space opera fairytale, right? There's that thin called "suspension of disbelief"... :D Or we could discuss about the details that don't make sense (sound in space, anyone?) for years to come...

There is "good" sci-fi too, movies in which the audience is not thought to be half-brain dead. Movies without noise in space and with good stories. But you probably have to go back to the 70ies to find them.

The point is - for me - that today the audience is considered as not-much-smart. And that's something I just don't like. I have some requirements if I watch something, else it would be a waste of time. Guess you agree  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Well, my fav SF movie (indeed, my all-time fav movie along with Kurosawa's RAN) is Tarkovski's Solaris*. It did require quite some suspend of disbelief and was maybe not as 'scientific' as Space Odyssey (which I love), but still it's so serious and deep and unsettling... and, as you said, 70s.

*The Clooney remake was not half bad either, though it didn't meet critical approval...

MacDeath

Back to the original V.

From what I remember, the first "movies" (TV-movies actually) were an obvious analog to the Nazis invasions and Holocaust...

The Visitor's sign is a sort of Swastikas, and the Scientist from Mankind ar hunted down and deported (exterminated, served as food....).
It's quite dark and grim... and really obvious : a jewish scientist talk about the fact the visitors are doing exactly as the Nazis did in Europe....

Does the modern Remake emphasize on this stuff ?
or is it simply big flashy spectacular Scy-Fy shit with almost no relation with the original except that the visitors ar reptilians mimiquing humans and eating them/plundering the planet ?

That's so 80's !!!

Loved the Blonde Vs Brunette evilbitch duet...

And their 80's Hair is so huge... :P

Also notice the ADIDAS uniforms. ;D

This turned into some sort of Scy-Fy Dallas...
And lot of stars actually :
Ironside (Verhoeven's movies...), Freddy Krueggerer...Robert Englund (lol... the original and only one...was great in "Zombi strippers" too...), Marc Singer (did some "cult" heroic fantasy movies : The Beastmaster (Dar l'invincible in french...a pseudo He-Man and the master of the universe...lol))

or even Lane Smith (so many TV series...)