News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Which Max Headroom to watch?

Started by mr_lou, 20:06, 19 January 16

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

I never got to see Max Headroom back in the day, and was thinking I'd catch up now.
I want to watch the TV thingy, and then play the game on the CPC afterwards.

But then I discovered that there's a movie from 1985 + a series from 1987.

The 1987 series is supposedly an american version of the 1985 movie... so probably the exact same story, only expanded?

Has anyone seen both. Any recommendations about which one to watch? Should I avoid one of them at all costs?

Zoe Robinson

I can't tell you as I've not seen the original film but it's worth noting that Super Mario Bros. is also, essentially, Max Headroom, thanks to the directors (who created Max Headroom) taking excessive liberties with the Mario source material.

Seriously, look at Max then look at what they turned Bowser into.

OCT

Quote from: mr_lou on 20:06, 19 January 16there's a movie from 1985 + a series from 1987.
In a world where "OBEY!" is the order of the day, T.H.E.Y. won't broadcast either ever again... ::) (nor http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096256 for that matter 8) ).

dodogildo

Max Headroom Tv series was exactly what you'd expect from such a series in the 80s (fun and full of false lore about the micro computers/AI) . First episode explained how in the h*ll Max ended up like that et al. It aired in my country long after the CPC game came out. So it was way too fun for me to explore the roots.  Cheers Max!
M'enfin!

MacDeath

Perhaps the one in german ?

mr_lou

The 1985 movie and the 1987 series are both available at YouTube.

I took a peek at both, and see that it's basically the same story but with different actors. Looks like the movie has slightly better acting.

pelrun

The first episode or two of the series covers the same material as the movie, so it's not really necessary to watch both. Then it goes on to new material.

I really should go watch this again, it's been too long.

Bryce

Who's Max Headroom? :D

Bryce.

P.s. I preferred the series.

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 09:46, 20 January 16
Who's Max Headroom? :D

I did notice the teenage hacker dude was named Bryce. Wondered if that's where you got your nick from.  :)

Quote from: Bryce on 09:46, 20 January 16I preferred the series.

I ordered the series yesterday. The movie doesn't seem to be available anywhere though.
YouTube quality not good enough for me.

Bryce

Yes, that's where the name "Bryce" came from.

Bryce.

dodogildo

Quote from: Bryce on 09:51, 20 January 16
Yes, that's where the name "Bryce" came from.

Bryce.

so does the avatar... obviously
M'enfin!

seanb

See if you can watch the British tv series as well.
Loved that when it was on
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

mr_lou

Quote from: seanb on 13:16, 20 January 16
See if you can watch the British tv series as well.
Loved that when it was on

Haven't found a description of a British TV series while searching.
The movie is British, but the series is American....  well, British produced still though.

TFM

Quote from: OCT on 20:46, 19 January 16
In a world where "OBEY!" is the order of the day, T.H.E.Y. won't broadcast either ever again... ::) (nor http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096256 for that matter 8) ).

Also available for the Amstrad CPC:
File:Obey.png - CPCWiki

But back on topic: Please don't play the game!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

Quote from: TFM on 19:06, 20 January 16But back on topic: Please don't play the game!

Why not?

I saw it briefly as a kid. It looked very interesting, but I didn't understand anything.
I'm hoping I'll understand more after seeing the series.

TFM

Quote from: mr_lou on 20:10, 20 January 16
Why not?

I saw it briefly as a kid. It looked very interesting, but I didn't understand anything.
I'm hoping I'll understand more after seeing the series.

Let's put it that way. Like Dr. Who also Max Headroom on CPC would be a nice candidate for a rewrite or makeup.  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

seanb

Quote from: mr_lou on 17:25, 20 January 16
Haven't found a description of a British TV series while searching.
The movie is British, but the series is American....  well, British produced still though.

The Max Headroom Show
It was a chat type show where Max interviewed celebrities.

Well insulted them.
Very good and very different to the American show.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

mr_lou

Well great.
Was about to watch the first episode yesterday, but then discovers it's region coded. Bummer.

Trying to decide whether to rip all the discs now, or buy a special remote control that allows me to remove the region limitation of the player(s)....