News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Storing your retro collection

Started by chilli_taff, 18:25, 14 January 22

Previous topic - Next topic

chilli_taff

Evening All
I'm not a frequent poster but a long time lurker.  Work / family ensure my time free time is limited.
I have several Amstrads and other vintage computers (I shall not name them in this forum) and now the wife has told me either get them stored or lose them :(
With an ultimatum like that I have to do something - So how do you store your collection but have easy access them.    The other option means building a patio and bury something 5'6 ;)
Cheers 

Gryzor

No easy solution I'd think? It all comes down to space available. For years I've stored then away, but very organized. Lately we bought a small studio apartment, half of which will be our home office and half (kitchen be gone!) my retro space, after I bring down a wall and install shelves.

Garden shed?

eto

I modified a 40cm Ikea Billy with doors to act as a davenport. Enough space to store several machines + accessories and when the doors are closed, it looks like a normal cabinet. I can just open it, connect the CPC or Plus and everything works after a minute...

Gryzor

Just googled the Billy, nice one though not for a big collection. Definitely great for your 'Frontline' machines though!

villain

It's my very personal experience, but I would store the wife away...  8)

eto

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:45, 14 January 22
Just googled the Billy, nice one though not for a big collection. Definitely great for your 'Frontline' machines though!

It's a start to make things easily accessible. Put a second Billy next to it and you should be able to store 10+ systems with easy access that all can be ready in just a minute. At least if you connect all of them to the same monitor.

Gryzor

Ah indeed the monitor is a crucial point. I wish I could find a nice PVM but I guess my 1084S will have to do for most of the stuff....