News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

*Worst* joystick?

Started by Gryzor, 18:14, 05 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

There have been a few threads on the best joystick, but which one you think is the worst you have handled?

For me, it must be this:

[attachimg=1]

With its triangular handle giving you cramps and blisters in no time, small base you can't really grasp and a feeling similar to that of a corpse going stiff (or so my pathologist friends says), I wonder if they ever played with it before they marketed the thing.

After that, I'd say the NES and SMS pads (ok, not joysticks but still).

steve

I was in agony after holding the konix speedking for a while, you had to grip it very tightly to stop it slipping out of your hand. >:( :( :'( ;)

Although not for the CPC, the joysticks supplied with the TI 99/4A were reputed to be very bad as well.

Gryzor

Ah yeah, have heard about the TI but I don't even know what they look like...

beaker

They were all bad. Thankfully we all use controllers that fit nicely into your hands with plenty of buttons these days.

MacDeath

Quotecontrollers that fit nicely into your hands with plenty of buttons these days.
I feel like they simply glued two Speedking together.. (one right hand and one leftie)...

cpc4eva

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:14, 05 April 14
There have been a few threads on the best joystick, but which one you think is the worst you have handled?

For me, it must be this:

[attachimg=1]

With its triangular handle giving you cramps and blisters in no time, small base you can't really grasp and a feeling similar to that of a corpse going stiff (or so my pathologist friends says), I wonder if they ever played with it before they marketed the thing.

After that, I'd say the NES and SMS pads (ok, not joysticks but still).

i saw the same of this on retro thing web site.....  Retro Thing: Worst Retro Joystick Ever?

cpc4eva

google image search of worst ever sticks.......

andycadley

My mate had one called, IIRC, Le Stick. Basically it was like a joystick with no base and a fire button on the top. All you had to do, in theory at least, was tilt it in the direction you wanted to move. I think the pair of us tried using it for about an hour before condemning the thing to the pile of useless crap and going back to the keyboard, as actually playing anything with it was utterly impossible.

Bryce

All time worst has to be the Acorn dual analogue joysticks, an ergonomic nightmare. If it's digital only Amstrads JY series also weren't that great.

Bryce.

MacDeath

the worst joystick was the one whick would too easily break.

Many of them could be considered this I guess.

paradroid90

Although I am a c64 junkie I have to admit the worst joystick ever was the Cheetah Annihilator which was was bundled with the C64gs and some C64c bundles  :o
Embrace all 8 Bits :-)

beaker

All the ones I had were pretty crap. The Cheetah 125+ felt good but lasted all of 2 minutes with those stupid metal prongs. The Cruiser wrecked my hands and looks garish but still lasts even to this day - I am using it on my Spectrum +2 as it has the correct connector. The Voltmace feels OK but sucks at platformers with the small stick and poor response.

Quote from: Bryce on 13:00, 06 April 14
All time worst has to be the Acorn dual analogue joysticks, an ergonomic nightmare. If it's digital only Amstrads JY series also weren't that great.

Bryce.

Yup, the Voltmace's were far superior  :laugh:

Quote from: paradroid90 on 16:40, 07 April 14
Although I am a c64 junkie I have to admit the worst joystick ever was the Cheetah Annihilator which was was bundled with the C64gs and some C64c bundles  :o

lol, I have a pair hopefully rotting well in the loft I from my Night Moves pack  :)

ralferoo

The worst joystick ever is anything that's ever been used for a few games of Daley Thompson's Decathlon because the chance of it working properly after that is almost 0...

MacDeath

On the other hand I always hated the "competition pro"... those like this :

no precision and hard to use, close to no ergonomy as well...

But yeah, they were solid and would rarely/never break.