News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

8-bit Memoirs looking for betatesters

Started by mr_lou, 05:25, 28 August 17

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

I posted this previously in the project thread, but feel that it's been overlooked, so I'm reposting to give it its own thread.

The diskmag-like Blu-ray eBook "8-bit Memoirs" that I've been working on for the past 5 years is close to the finish line. I'm fairly sure it'll be released in December this year.

But I need some betatesters.

Interested?

Here's what you need to have in order to qualify as a betatester:

• You must understand English fairly well
  • You gotta have lots of time on your hands
  • You must own a hardware Blu-ray player in some form
  • You must have an interest in reading about the good old days
Must understand English
The whole project is written in the English language, so obviously you must be able to read and understand English fairly well.

Gotta have lots of time
This is a big project. The text alone corresponds to about 250 pages in an Office Word/Writer document. There are also over 9 hours of video included. And while I don't expect you to go through all of it, you do of course need to go through a lot of it.

Must own a hardware Blu-ray player

The project will be about 25 gb in size. Way too much for me to be hosting it anywhere. So I will only be snail-mailing a Blu-ray disc to betatesters. You can play this disc on your traditional Blu-ray player, or in your PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. If you have a Blu-ray drive in your PC, you can also use software players like PowerDVD or a nightly build of VLC.

Must be interested

Obviously, you have to have an interest in stories from the good old days, reading how someone else experienced the same era that you enjoyed too. And if you enjoy diskmags too, then it's a bonus.

Here's what I need from you:
General feedback. What are your thoughts?
Report any spelling errors or grammatical errors you spot. Or phrases that sound wrong. (English is not my native language).
Do not spread the betatest version.
See a (somewhat old) preview at www.8bitMemoirs.com

Here's what you get in return:
Your name will be included in the credits page of the project.
Also, if you want, I can add an advertisement for one of your own projects. Everyone who's contributing to the project is entitled to an advertisement; a logo and a small description.

If interested, send me a PM with the following info:
Your name and snail-mail address and e-mail address

Which Blu-ray player(s) will you be testing on? Brand and model number.

Since I have to burn and mail a disc to all betatesters, I can't promise I'll send one to everyone. I'll probably be selecting different people depending on which test-device they'll be using.

The goal is to release in December this year (although if it isn't possible I won't let it bother me). Ziphoid will be helping me put it on torrents, which is where you will need to get the freeware version from (and also help spread it). The physical disc version will be available from eBay I think, since that appears to be the easiest way of selling stuff. Does anyone have other suggestions?

What do you think a fair price would be for the physical disc? What would you be willing to pay for a physical disc version?

The biggest reason for buying a physical disc version instead of downloading the freeware version, is to support the work and thereby encourage other authors to create future issues. But it could also be because you don't want a 25 gb ISO lying around on your harddisk, or because you just prefer watching it on a real Blu-ray player (which I do also highly recommend because it gives the best result).

mr_lou

Alright.

Betaversions has been dropped off at the post-office, and will be shipped on monday.

You can still jump on board if you wish to betatest. Send a PM if interested.

Yay!! Progress!!  :)

Looks like this project will be a Christmas 2017 CPC-oriented release!  :) :) :) :) :)

mr_lou

There's still time to become a betatester.

Send me a PM if interested, and I'll snailmail you a disc.

mr_lou

Last chance to become a betatester for 8-bit Memoirs.

PM me your address.  :)