News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

8086 Assembly tutorials

Started by keith56, 23:16, 03 January 20

Previous topic - Next topic

keith56

Continuing from my previous tutorials, I've started a new series of 8086 ASM tutorials focusing on Dosbox (Wonderswan will be covered later too)

The first episode was released today, there will be more episodes over the coming weeks, so please subscribe to my channel if you want to see them:

https://youtu.be/K9eRSsYlt00
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

fano

Nice, still have some x86 16bits code to study/reverse and must say i hate this fucking segmentation stuff, i never understood the choose to get x86 arch on 16 bits where they have 68K  :picard:
Anyway, thx for this tutorial ;)
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

roudoudou

Quote from: fano on 08:40, 19 February 20
Nice, still have some x86 16bits code to study/reverse and must say i hate this fucking segmentation stuff, i never understood the choose to get x86 arch on 16 bits where they have 68K  :picard:
Anyway, thx for this tutorial ;)
the segmentation stuff was supposed to disappear with the 80386 (out in 1986 but very expensive) and flat mode, protected mode, etc.

BUT everybody choose to keep 16bits windows (3.11, 95, 98, 2000 Millenium) until finally XP comes out!

thanks to DOS extender, flat mode became easy to use in the 90's

My pronouns are RASM and ACE

robcfg

Windows 2000 is actually of the NT line, so no 16 bit support if I remember correctly.

Windows ME was definitely on the Win 9x side of things.

roudoudou

Quote from: robcfg on 18:24, 19 February 20
Windows 2000 is actually of the NT line, so no 16 bit support if I remember correctly.

Windows ME was definitely on the Win 9x side of things.
Yeah, i was thinking about Millenium, not 2000 !

robcfg

I'm still amazed to remember how bad it was....

The kind of bad as to crash the system if you click on a desktop icon as soon as the desktop showed in the screen because it didn't finish loading.

Yep, that was Windows ME.

keith56

I had to do an OS reinstall of the only ME owner I knew TWICE in a few months - and not because he'd got a virus or something - that just seemed to be what ME did - nuke itself at random

I read somewhere ME ported part of the 2000 driver model to 98 - I mean WHY? changing the UI to match Win 2k - yeah whatever, but their plan was always to migrate everyone to the 2000 codebase - why mess up the core win 98 code?

Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

andycadley

Quote from: roudoudou on 09:27, 19 February 20
the segmentation stuff was supposed to disappear with the 80386 (out in 1986 but very expensive) and flat mode, protected mode, etc.

BUT everybody choose to keep 16bits windows (3.11, 95, 98, 2000 Millenium) until finally XP comes out!

thanks to DOS extender, flat mode became easy to use in the 90's

95 & 98 were also 32-bit operating systems and ran in flat mode. As did Win 3.11, technically, if you ran it in 386 enhanced mode (it had a 32-bit hypervisor which ran virtual 16-bit machines, one for Windows apps and then other separate VMs for each DOS application).

roudoudou

Quote from: andycadley on 15:12, 23 February 20

95 & 98 were also 32-bit operating systems and ran in flat mode. As did Win 3.11, technically, if you ran it in 386 enhanced mode (it had a 32-bit hypervisor which ran virtual 16-bit machines, one for Windows apps and then other separate VMs for each DOS application).
technically, 95,98,ME was in flat mode

in reality, most of applications were in 16bits mode

like MSDOS story