News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

A great old-school shoot-em-up for Android

Started by Gryzor, 07:30, 06 July 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello guys,

Thought I'd let you know about this; I got the apk (ahem...) last night and I just went and bought it because it's so nice.

Xelorians. A really lovely old-school shoot-em-up, which is both tense and accessible, striking just the right balance. Great gfx and sound, relentless action, and that on-more-go factor!

Xelorians for Android - Trailer Gameplay

PS Wish someone ported (NOT remade, ported!) Wings of Death...

Carnivius

Looks ok on the action but graphics are certainly not 'old-school' enough for me.  There's barely any colour variety.  Quite drab like a lot modern games that try to be more 'realistic' looking but forget it's still possibly to have some lucious colour schemes too and end up looking very drab.  Ah well, I don't really play games on phones anyways.  Gave them a go but touchscreens are horrible.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Gryzor

I don't know if it's the vid, it looks just great and more vivid on my phone's screen. Gfx not old-school enough?? Well, it's not CPC Lightforce, but it's certainly Raiden...

Carnivius

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:17, 06 July 12
I don't know if it's the vid, it looks just great and more vivid on my phone's screen. Gfx not old-school enough?? Well, it's not CPC Lightforce, but it's certainly Raiden...

Might just be personal taste.  I find these kind of graphics incredibly muddy looking, bland and ugly.  Really puts me off even wanting to play it.  I did download the free version onto my phone but it looks no better than the video.   The sprites are ok but the backgrounds are just horrendous and give the game a really depressingly dull feel.  It's one of the reasons I started getting back into more retro stuff where the 'limited' palettes almost forced far more interesting hue ramps often giving a game a more unique look and feel.  This stuff here looks the same as a bajillion other shooters.  Nice that you enjoy it but it's not for me at all.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Gryzor

Sure, nothing is loved by everybody!

SyX

Gryzor, if you can (i's not easy to get by the classic stupid japanese politics, i would be glad to pay for them, lo tais leyendo chinorris!!! :P ) take a look to Espgaluda II and Do Don Pachi Resurrection for Android, those are the only shoot'em'up that you are going to need  ;D

The Android project begins! CAVE WORLD 2011

MugUK

There's also Battle Squadron - OK it was a classic Amiga game, but trust me Gryzor in that it's a good conversion  8)

The original coder of the game does the iPhone version and another firm ports it to the Android.  Works well on my cheapo Anrdoid 7" tablet :)

I love poking (and peeking) around files.  I used to write saved-game editors on the Atari ST (and Amiga) using GFA BASIC, so looking forward to having some fun with my 6128 :)

Gryzor

Cave -meh, bullet hell, not really my cup of tea unfortunately :( Gonnat try out Battle Squadron though, it's definitely retro and more like it :)

Tastes aside, can you really play a bullet hell shmup on a 4" screen with your fingers?

Carnivius

Battle Squadron's one of my all time favorite shoot 'em ups especially back when I used to play it in 2 player on Amiga during school lunchtimes.  Fantastic music, both the title screen music and the in-game tune.   I've no interest in owning it on a phone though. 

mahlemiut

Ah, another reason Cave didn't want those games emulated... ;)
- Barry Rodewald

SyX

Quote from: Gryzor on 22:10, 06 July 12Tastes aside, can you really play a bullet hell shmup on a 4" screen with your fingers?
Well, i love bullet hell, but i'm using a 7" tablet and is F@king Amazing!!!  8)

The control is perfect, the graphics superlovely (and easy to rip, ups  :laugh: ) and the music WOW  ;D

With respect to Battle Squadron, i don't like the android version, but i love the Amiga original (although i prefer Hybris), i suppose that is because i played BS at death in my Amiga years, jejeje.

Gryzor

Ah, yes, it must be better on more inches. But for any phone I think the finger would obscure the view...

Now, where's my Wings of Death? :D

SyX

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:59, 07 July 12Now, where's my Wings of Death? :D
Here? (my lawyers tell me that i can not endorse these emulator, etc etc :P)

Gryzor

Hahaha indeed, and I had actually forgotten I've already bought this emulator!!! Ok, I'll see if it runs...!!!