News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

BITMAP BOOKS

Started by ComSoft6128, 17:30, 30 March 21

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

Bugger all CPC specific content but some nice covers for the coffee table or your next Zoom call..........

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/

Gryzor

Unfortunately, very little cpc specific content as you say, but honestly, their books stand heads and shoulders above any other retro publisher. Even comparing is unjust to everyone.

Well researched, professionally written AND edited, beautifully printed and bounded, and I swear I didn't get a dime for this post.

ComSoft6128

Understood - I assume you have one or two?

Gryzor

...a few😀 I'm only indifferent when it comes to their Nintendo titles, or their latest about a UK TV show.

Gryzor

By the way, just because I have this next to me right now, THIS IS AWESOME.
"The Art of Point-and-Click Adventure Games | Bitmap Books" https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/products/the-art-of-point-click-adventure-games

... And I just remembered they stopped shipping to Europe after brexit, for the time being...

ComSoft6128

I ran across this:

https://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=12005

And then went looking for info on point-and-click and that is how I found the site.

Gryzor

Well if you're interested in a particular title let me know and I'll tell you if I have it and how I liked it... 🙂

ComSoft6128

Thanks for the offer but I'll wait to see if they publish something with more CPC content. :)

Gryzor

Don't hold your breath... but seriously if you want a great read about 80s and 90s computing do pick up a book or two from them.

reidrac

AFAIK when they have asked, the response of the community has been... meh.

I'm not sure why there are more C64 and ZX Spectrum fans, or may be they are not and is just that they buy or support this type of stuff, but ZZAP! 64 and Crash have bimonthly editions now, in 2021!

Excuse me if I sound bitter, but I'd love the same for the CPC: Amstrad Action, Amtix!, whatever... don't care which one! Unfortunately sounds like it's never going to be :(
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Gryzor

Quote from: reidrac on 18:33, 31 March 21AFAIK when they have asked, the response of the community has been... meh.

I seemed to recall something of the sort but I wasn't sure so I didn't mention it...

I don't know, I do buy their Commodore and Speccy stuff too, maybe us CPC-ers are less vocal and more open at the same time; but I can't help thinking that it's a self-fulfilled prophecy - if you don't produce something for an audience then the audience won't be there to reply?

reidrac

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:47, 01 April 21
I seemed to recall something of the sort but I wasn't sure so I didn't mention it...

I don't know, I do buy their Commodore and Speccy stuff too, maybe us CPC-ers are less vocal and more open at the same time; but I can't help thinking that it's a self-fulfilled prophecy - if you don't produce something for an audience then the audience won't be there to reply?

It is possible, although if they asked "would you be interested in a Amtix! annual?" and the answer is no; the results aren't really a surprise.

I don't have all the details so I could be wrong, but looks like the Crash an ZZAP! 64 magazines exist basically because enough people have subscribed to them via Patreon. 60 pages for £4 + shipping isn't bad if the content is good.

Retro doesn't move enough people to get stuff out there and "they will come", I guess.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Skunkfish

Fusion Retro Books are due to launch AMTIX Micro Action - a 60 page quarterly A5 magazine this Summer.
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Gryzor

Quote from: Skunkfish on 14:45, 01 April 21AMTIX Micro Action

Not Bitmap, rather Wilkins will...

Skunkfish

Sorry, I should have clarified.... I was responding to Reidrac's comments on Zzap64 and Crash (from Fusion Retro Books) rather than anything from Bitmap Books
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Gryzor

Yeah I did realise that, it's just that for a second there my heart missed a bit - if Bitmap did it, it'd be just amazing! It's like comparing apples and... well, something decidedly worse than apples :D

Skunkfish

I think there's enough wonderful looking CPC games to do a decent book.

They just need to miss out all of the lazy Speccy ports....

Gryzor

Quote from: Skunkfish on 15:06, 01 April 21
I think there's enough wonderful looking CPC games to do a decent book.

They just need to miss out all of the lazy Speccy ports....

Well they could definitely do a history one and obviously a "pixels" tome!

reidrac

Quote from: Skunkfish on 14:45, 01 April 21
Fusion Retro Books are due to launch AMTIX Micro Action - a 60 page quarterly A5 magazine this Summer.

Not on April 1st, please.

Gryzor

reidrac