News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Any retropie/Linux users here? Help needed please

Started by Dr Tiger Ninestein, 19:07, 10 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Tiger Ninestein

Well I have got myself a rPi 3 purely to use as a way of playing mame roms. I have downloaded retropie 3.7 and set everything up. I have got the roms working but have got no sound at all using an hdmi cable.

I have selected the set audio to hdmi setting in retropie and selected force audio out of hdmi in the rasp-config. Still no sound.

After googling this problem it seems I should try to change the config.txt file in the /boot directory:

I have no idea on how to do this and after reading up on how to use Linux I am still none the wiser :(

Just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem or could help.

Thanks

Dr Tiger Ninestein

Somebody that had the same problem as me had to 'edit the /boot/config.txt file and un-comment the line "hdmi_drive=2'

Can anybody explain how I do this?

EgoTrip

open a text editor, open that file in it, make the required changes and save it.

Dr Tiger Ninestein

Quote from: EgoTrip on 21:09, 10 May 16
open a text editor, open that file in it, make the required changes and save it.

I couldn't work it out because every time I opened that directory in sudo nano, I was just getting a blank page with nothing to edit.

I found a YouTube vid of someone doing something very similar and I copied how they opened up the directory in nano and it worked and I was able to uncomment that line. Not sure how I was typing it differently, I think I was missing a space or something.

Anyway, that worked and I now have sound :D