News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Anybody here own an Asus EEE PC 900 with XP installed?

Started by Bryce, 14:47, 06 April 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Gryzor

Bryce

I eventually solved the problem myself. I had a "Blank" EEE PC 900 because I had to replace the SSD and was looking for the original DVD with the XP GHO images, but I eventually installed a full copy of XP instead and then minimised it as far as I could. Looking good so far, but I'm looking for further tips now to reduce its footprint to the minimum.

Bryce.

Gryzor

There *are* minimal "unofficial" XP distros out there. I can check if I have something myself. It doesn't support 2000?

Bryce

I've seen some crazies around the interwebs who have even crammed windows 7 onto an EEE PC, but life's too short for that shit. I have a running system now, so it's fine, I'd just like to free up as much SSD as possible and make it slightly faster if possible. It currently needs 2.7GB.

Bryce.

mr_lou

Why not run Linux?

I've actually pondering about getting myself an Asus Eee recently, because I have some times during the day where I can't do much except wait. And it would be handy if I could be a bit productive during those minutes. Like maybe make some music.
Dunno what device to use though. Asus Eee is an option. Another is one of those pocket computers around.

Bryce

I installed the official EEE PC Linux, but it's pretty outdated and the latest versions of many common programs wouldn't run on it. At least with XP, I know whether it will run or not before I install.

Bryce.

tjohnson

I don't but it looks like an earlier version of my asus transformer.  That came with Windows 8 free upgraded to Windows 10.  Can be a bit slow at times but a handy little machine.  Shame the screen is reflective and not very bright, makes sitting outside and reading with it less than ideal.