News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Anyone wanna sell a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Computer?

Started by mr_lou, 18:42, 27 September 13

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

I have a mate who'd like to join me and my other mates in our retro gaming evenings. He used to have the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A, so our current mission is to find one of those for him.

I don't suppose anyone here would happen to have one lying around they'd like to sell? It has to have the European PSU, be in fairly good condition and such. It also has to be the black and silver version, rather than the beige version.

Gryzor

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:50, 28 September 13eBay has several.

Yes, there are plenty on eBay, but the majority of them are not tested, or says something along the lines of "worked fine 30 years ago when I put it on the attic". No thanks.

But yes, there's one auction ending on monday that I'm watching.

Gryzor

AMSDOS

This one seems to be working:
TI 99 4A Beige Home Computer System with Manuals and Games All Tested Good |

But's in the US I think. Did those machines ever get to Europe? I never saw any here in Oz.  :'(
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

00WReX

Quote from: AMSDOS on 22:05, 28 September 13
This one seems to be working:
TI 99 4A Beige Home Computer System with Manuals and Games All Tested Good |

But's in the US I think. Did those machines ever get to Europe? I never saw any here in Oz.  :'(

Yes, they were definitely sold in Australia. Been a fair few for sale on ebay AU over the years...do not see them a lot these days but they do pop up.
Currently on ebay Australia someone is selling 32 cartridges for the TI-99
Texas Instrument Home Computer Command Module | eBay

and another person selling individual cartridges...

ti-99 items - Get great deals on Video Games items on eBay Stores!

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

mr_lou

Quote from: AMSDOS link=topic=8468.msg6But's in the US I think. Did those machines ever get to Europe? I never saw any here in Oz.  :'(

Yes, they got to Europe, and it has to be a European model because the US PSU takes 120 volt.
It also has to be the black'n'silver version.  :)

Not interested in cartridges at this point. He'll start up slowly, trying to load games from WAV files first I think. Then try to find a nanoPEB or CF7+. Like most other retro machines has a flash-card solution nowadays, the nanoPEB and CF7+ is the TI-99/4A's Compact Flash solution. Getting one of those will be an much bigger challenge than getting the actual machine though.

There are a few European TI-99/4A's on eBay at the moment that I'm keeping an eye on. So we'll see.

AMSDOS

Quote from: 00WReX on 02:58, 29 September 13

Yes, they were definitely sold in Australia. Been a fair few for sale on ebay AU over the years...do not see them a lot these days but they do pop up.
Currently on ebay Australia someone is selling 32 cartridges for the TI-99
Texas Instrument Home Computer Command Module | eBay

and another person selling individual cartridges...

ti-99 items - Get great deals on Video Games items on eBay Stores!

Cheers,
Shane

Hmm okay. I was having a look at the Aust. eBay too and found someone selling their 99/4A from the US happy to ship it to Aust. Naturally it was 120v 60hz. Could that be made to work here or Europe do you know?

Quote from: mr_lou on 05:20, 29 September 13
There are a few European TI-99/4A's on eBay at the moment that I'm keeping an eye on. So we'll see.

It might be worthwhile having a look on AmiBay too.

Your Computer Programs

mr_lou

Quote from: AMSDOS on 07:41, 29 September 13It might be worthwhile having a look on AmiBay too.

Yes, been looking there a lot too.  :)

AMSDOS

I not sure if it's worth asking about this on the Vintage Computer Forum, which is based in the US, there seems to be a few sites which are dedicated to the TI-99/4A, and one of those appeared as if they were selling those machines. Unfortunately the site was under repairs.

Your Computer Programs

mr_lou

Munchausen

I don't have one but I do have a ceramic + gold pins TMS9900 processor (the one pictured here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KL_TI_TMS9900_Black_Background.jpg) and all the chips needed to make a complete TMS9900 system (ROM/RAM/clock generator, UART, I/O chip and many more).

My father trained to be an electrical engineer in the 60s/70s and bought the complete set to build his own system (from a magazine guide, I believe), but then got married and never found the time to assemble everything. He did tell me the processor cost him £70 when he got it, and in 1976 that was a months wages for him (though I'm not sure how accurate that really is)! I've always wanted to build something based on it, and give it to him as a present, but I've never figured out exactly what I could build that would actually be useful. Of course, I've no guarantee that the chips haven't long since been destroyed by static.

Bryce

Quote from: Munchausen on 10:42, 30 September 13
but then got married and never found the time to....

The generic sentence that describes so many lives, and so many hobbies... :D

Bryce.

BluesBrothers

Quote from: mr_lou on 07:53, 30 September 13
Bidding on a german auction now.

I have 3 machines and am prepping 2 for sale right now if you are interested in one of these. Both are European machines and the PSU's have UK 3-pin plugs although you could easily exchange these for Euro 2-pin ones

BluesBrothers

Oh sorry, I meant to say PM me if interested with an offer price (I am open to reasonable price negotiation with wiki members  :D ).

mr_lou

Auction ending in 2 minutes.  :)

EDIT: Lost it.  :(

mr_lou

Quote from: BluesBrothers on 18:51, 30 September 13I have 3 machines and am prepping 2 for sale right now if you are interested in one of these. Both are European machines and the PSU's have UK 3-pin plugs although you could easily exchange these for Euro 2-pin ones

Tell me more.  :)

We're interested in the black'n'silver version.
How's the condition? Can you attach some pictures here? (Preferably showing that it's working)
Has it been in a smoke-free home?

BluesBrothers

The 2 I am selling are both boxed and in good cosmetic condition and I will upload photos tomorrow when I've "hopefully" finished thorough testing. All the TI's I have are the silver and black variety TI-99/4A.
I have already had some interest via PM for one of these and Mr Lou obviously wants one so if anyone else is interested I'm afraid both are temporarily on hold but I will let you know if either (or both) decide against taking one

BluesBrothers

Sorry forgot to respond to smoke free home bit,..... TBH I've absolutely no idea, sorry. I have only recently acquired 2 of these and the other one I bought for myself about 18 months ago. They will be given a deep clean inside and out though  :D

mr_lou

Quote from: BluesBrothers on 21:19, 30 September 13Sorry forgot to respond to smoke free home bit,..... TBH I've absolutely no idea, sorry.

If you don't smoke yourself, you should be able to pick up any smell of smoke quite easily. If you do smoke yourself, you won't be able to quite as easily.
Would you say that the machine(s) smell of smoke?
(I don't know how picky my mate is, but me being an ex-smoker I'm one of the worst in that regard.  ;) )

Quote from: BluesBrothers on 21:19, 30 September 13They will be given a deep clean inside and out though  :D

That sounds great. You have a lot of experience with electronics?

TheCorfiot

I can certainly vouch for Mr BluesBrothers, you won't be disappointed

BluesBrothers

Quote from: TheCorfiot on 09:33, 01 October 13
I can certainly vouch for Mr BluesBrothers, you won't be disappointed

Thank you my friend! :D

BluesBrothers

Quote from: mr_lou on 05:34, 01 October 13
If you don't smoke yourself, you should be able to pick up any smell of smoke quite easily. If you do smoke yourself, you won't be able to quite as easily.
Would you say that the machine(s) smell of smoke?
(I don't know how picky my mate is, but me being an ex-smoker I'm one of the worst in that regard.  ;) )
Have given up myself earlier this year (though I haven't smoked inside for many years) and whilst my sense of smell is improving it is not great still. If anything the machines just have that old smell. I will strip each down and give a deep clean so regardless of where the machine might have once been you'll never know. I can't promise rose petals and apple blossom but it won't smell of fags. :laugh:

Quote from: mr_lou on 05:34, 01 October 13That sounds great. You have a lot of experience with electronics?
Well I'm not an expert but I do alright. I consider myself to be very thorough (which Corifoot will vouch for since he's had to listen to me drone on ::) ).

I have now finished full testing you be pleased to hear and both machines have passed through a "deep soak" test with flying colours. I'd like to give a clean to each before sending images but I will endeavour to get that done today all things being well.

mr_lou

This is getting interesting.  :)

Looking forward to some pictures. Also curious to know what kind of price you had in mind.

BluesBrothers

[attach=8][attach=6][attach=7][attach=4][attach=5][attach=3][attach=2]

So this is some shots of the first machine to prove it works ok