News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

BBC News article - Surf Champ on the ZX Spectrum

Started by Nich, 20:08, 23 May 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Nich

I know this article relates to a game for a computer that certain people on this forum may sneer at, but I was rather pleased that BBC News wrote an in-depth article about a unique ZX Spectrum game called Surf Champ:

Surf Champ: The surfing simulator 35 years ahead of its time that sank without a trace

This is the sort of article I would expect to see in the pages of Retro Gamer, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it in the sport section of BBC News. Also, the company behind it (New Concepts) were based in Ireland, which makes it more interesting for me. :)

Nich

According to an article in Popular Computing Weekly, it seems New Concepts were planning to release Surf Champ for the CPC as well. I don't think the surfboard would have worked too well with any of the CPC's keyboards! :laugh:

Gryzor

That's a great article indeed; also, interesting story, and a very interesting game - never saw such packaging before!

Indeed, who knows how they could've pulled it off on a CPD. What did they do on the c64?

Nich

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:34, 25 May 20
Indeed, who knows how they could've pulled it off on a CPD. What did they do on the c64?

It seems that Surf Champ was the only C64 game that New Concepts released. Zzap! magazine didn't rate it very highly.

I think it would have been extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get the game to work properly on a CPC, not just because of the shape of the CPC's various keyboards, but also because of the infamous 'key clash'.