News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Best Mega Drive games?

Started by Gryzor, 15:08, 05 March 21

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Despite the fact that SNES display more colour and sound PCM, the Mega Drive verison of Super SFII "The New Challengers" is more close to the arcade feeling while playing with a 6-button controller. The 68000 code was reused by Capcom and all the arcade logic is not available on the SNES port. Sadly, to be short, Capcom used the reduced sprites for the SNS and PCE to do the MD version, while it was able to display the arcade sprites too... (probably to save the ROM storage)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

norecess464

Quote from: trocoloco on 10:14, 07 March 21

It is true that with 3 buttons pad, but if you have a 6 button one the experience improves a lot  :)
I know, but my personal preference goes towards the rounded aspect of the SNES controller. Also, buttons on Genesis controller appear "clunky" sometimes, while key press on SNES controller is just perfect feeling. Note that Sega corrected this with the Sega Saturn, because I played tons of games on the Saturn without any issues.

.. impressive collection @TotO  !!! You see games, I see $$$.  :P (but it's beautiful !). Question: do you play the games from a sdcard while having this collection in parallel, or do you remove the plastic protection each times you want to play a game ?

ALL: hmmmmm now I feel motivated for some retro-gaming session this Sunday. Thank you  :-*
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

TotO

Quote from: norecess on 15:04, 07 March 21impressive collection @TotO  !!! You see games, I see $$$.  :P (but it's beautiful !). Question: do you play the games from a sdcard while having this collection in parallel, or do you remove the plastic protection each times you want to play a game ?
I remove the plastic each times, to feel the game and the manual to play... I have an Everdrive, but I do not use it for that. ;)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

What were we discussing?

TotO

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:22, 07 March 21
What were we discussing?

;D

The funny thing is the format of a Sunsoft game compared to any game...

trocoloco

Quote from: norecess on 15:04, 07 March 21
I know, but my personal preference goes towards the rounded aspect of the SNES controller. Also, buttons on Genesis controller appear "clunky" sometimes, while key press on SNES controller is just perfect feeling. Note that Sega corrected this with the Sega Saturn, because I played tons of games on the Saturn without any issues.

Yes, I'm not saying it is better than SNES but it does improves over the 3 buttons pad. In that aspect I can only agree, the SNES controller is better overall and provides a better gaming experience and surely between the 5 or 10 better designed controllers ever and cloned to death.

Btw I've just remembered a game that was never released in Europe and it is a great arcade conversion is Aero Blasters, defenitely a must play.

Gryzor

Working through the suggestions, will comment once I'm through :) Thanks so much guys!

sigh

Comix Zone
Sonic 2
Zombies Ate My Neighbour
GunStar Heroes
Virtual Racing
Phantasy Star 4
Strider

tjohnson

Virtua racing was epic back in the day, it used a special chip and was great, bought this myself but sold my megadrive along with a handful of games about 15 years ago.

zhulien

my top 5 are:

- battle squadron
- mega turrican
- slap fight
- tmnt hyperstone heist
- xeno crisis

but there are dozens of fantastic games depending on what type of game you like.

Gryzor

Ooh Xeno Crisis is *good*!

Had forgotten about Slap Fight, that's a nice one too :) And it reminded me of Fire Shark too for some reason.