News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Best Mega Drive games?

Started by Gryzor, 15:08, 05 March 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

I managed to screw up my Mega Sg SD card which contained a nicely curated ROM collection so I have to start building a good list again.

I could go online and look for "best megadrive/genesis games" but I thought I'd ask my fellow-forumites: what were your favourite games? :)

Otto

A few titles which I like(d) :

• Alien³
  • Castle of Illusion, starring Mickey Mouse
  • Flashback
  • Flicky
  • Lost Vikings
  • Lotus Turbo Challenge II
  • Mickey Mania
  • SWIV (aka Firepower 2000 on Megadrive)
  • Top Gear II
  • Turrican III (aka Mega-Turrican on Megadrive)
  • World of Illusion, starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.
And surely many more.

TotO

The 3 games I have liked to play and replay a lot on my Mega Drive in 1989/1991.
- Golden Axe
- Ghouls'N Ghosts
- Thunder Force III

@Otto: It was Mega Turrican (really good game).
Turrican III is a port on Amiga, and not as good as the Mega Drive version.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TotO

@Gryzor I imagine that you will love Contra Hard Corps ...  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

DanyPPC

Flink
Legend Of Galahad (Leander on Amiga)
Thunderforce IV
Castlevania Bloodlines
Fire Shark
Out Run
Rolling Thunder 2
Streets Of Rage 1,2,3
Super Street Fighter 2

CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

Widukind

Oh yes @Toto, Turrican III, or Mega Turrican on the Megadrive, was a really impressive game.

After Factor 5's Turrican I and II for the home-computers, they created part III on the Megadrive and called it Mega Turrican, and only its ports to the Amiga and to the Acorn Archimedes were named Turrican III.

When I did the Turrican III conversion for the beautiful Acorn Archimedes in 1994-1995 (only half of the game, then the markets disappeared), Rainbow Arts provided to me Factor 5's Megadrive Mc68000 assembler source-code and colourful graphics, since the Megadrive version is indeed the original game, while, as you wrote correctly, only a port to the Amiga.

And indeed the game's graphics were much better on the Megadrive than on the Amiga because of more colours and I think also more scrolling layers. On the Amiga, they had to reduce colours a lot (to 16?) in order to get a smooth framerate. On the Archimedes with its 256 colours per pixel we had all the 50 fps and all the Megadrive's colours, and this with pure software (ARM assembler).

Those were the days!

Sorry for being carried away by memories, now back on topic... Megadrive, a great machine.

Gryzor

Furiously taking notes, this is turning out great!

Gryzor

Quote from: TotO on 16:58, 05 March 21
@Gryzor I imagine that you will love Contra Hard Corps ...  ;D
My SD formatting script copies the rom file automatically.

SkulleateR

Please don forget the Shining Games (Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force and so on) ... GREAT RPGs ....

And of course one of the best ShootEmUps I ever played on 16Bit : M.U.S.H.A. ALESTE  8)

trocoloco

Soooooooo many games ....
Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, Dinamyte Headdy, Castlevania, Musha Aleste, Comix Zone, Double Dragon 2, Ghouls N Ghosts, Light Crusader, Chiki Chiki Boys, Alisia Dragoon, TMNT Hyperstone Heist, Mega Bomberman , Ristar annnnd many more!

deepfb

TotO

@Widukind Thank you for your great post.  8)
I'm trying to send a PM to you, but it looks that I'm not authorised...  :(

Gryzor

Widukind

Quote from: TotO on 18:50, 05 March 21
I'm trying to send a PM to you, but it looks that I'm not authorised...  :(
Oh not intentionally. My PM setting was for "Admins only". But now it's for "All members". So please retry. And thanks Gryzor for solving that issue.

norecess464

Nobody mentioned Micro Machines and Vectorman 1/2  :o

I hated the Genesis version of Street Fighter 2. In general, I think that fighting games on Genesis were disappointing compared to their SNES's counterpart (mostly because of the controller).

Of course, the platform remains awesome and I'm in love with their audiochip (just listen to audio tracks from Jesper Kyd in Batman & Robin !)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7OIj9m_o5U
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

BSC

Quote from: norecess on 15:50, 06 March 21just listen to audio tracks from Jesper Kyd in Batman & Robin

Wow, I didn't know that, but the "Hardwired" touch is clearly audible. 
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

ukmarkh

I did a video on some of my favorite Sega Megadrive games, I'm thinking about doing another one with commentary as to why I've chosen them above others.

Let me know your thoughts on the game selection  :)

https://youtu.be/HFACpcSwX9o

norecess464

Quote from: BSC on 20:44, 06 March 21
Wow, I didn't know that, but the "Hardwired" touch is clearly audible.
Yep! That was the time where some demomakers tried (with success) to enter the video-game industry..
Regarding Jesper Kyd, you can also check for Sub-Terrania (sort of Inertie clone)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCPgPENPT7w
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

norecess464

+ Jim Power.
Its gameplay has nothing special (the "infamous" french touch  :picard: ), but I keep getting back to this game. Code+Music+Visuals are incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqzSCB_MZis

TotO

Best to play all those games on Amiga to enjoy them. The Mega Drive has better original games than occidental micro-computer ports.

Gryzor

Yeah, but I'm building a list for my Mega Sg, remember🙂

Last night we were playing Alex Kidd 3 on it, damn fine fan game (SMS of course, not SMD)

TotO

What I mean is, no real interest to play Amiga ports game on Mega Drive.
They are not the best Mega Drive games and not representative of the system.
It is like always playing the same games by moving from CPC to Amiga by nostalgia.

Play Vector Man, Comix Zone, Mega Turrican, Gunstar Heroes, Street Of Rage I, II, Thunder Force III, IV, Musha Alest, Sonic may be ...
To discover new games that was made for the Mega Drive first. :)

TotO

I have around one hundred of Mega Drive games, mostly Japanese, with few exceptions like those four Genesis titles.
The picture is dedicated to NoRecess!  ;D

TotO

Here, few of the visible games that I own and play since 30 years ago.
OK, I play less since 10 years...  ;D

Play WonderBoy III and many other arcade games from your childhood.
About Batman, I love the SunSoft version (they does the NES game too).

trocoloco

Quote from: norecess on 15:50, 06 March 21
I hated the Genesis version of Street Fighter 2. In general, I think that fighting games on Genesis were disappointing compared to their SNES's counterpart (mostly because of the controller).

It is true that with 3 buttons pad, but if you have a 6 button one the experience improves a lot  :)