News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Black borders on crt TV with ps1?

Started by Dr Tiger Ninestein, 16:30, 29 January 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Tiger Ninestein

I've just hooked up a ps1 to my crt TV and it has a black border on top and bottom of the screen. My ntsc snes has this as well.

Guys, is this normal? I can't remember from back in the day if it is not but I don't seem to remember seeing it.

I have had  a mess around in the TV  service mode with both the snes and ps and can't seem to get the picture to fill the screen, in fact I think I've made things worse because when I change to a console to console the picture has moved to the side each time and I have to keep going back into service mode to realign it :picard:

gerald

It looks like your TV switched to 16/9 mode.
The selection between 16/9 and 4/3 is done by the voltage of the switching signal (SCART pin 8): 6V = 16/9, 12V = 4/3

The TV remote may have a dedicated control for this.

khaz

Whatever you do in the service menu, Never forget to write down the initial values so you could put them back in, should you ever screw up your setup.
Also, do not factory reset your screen. It won't bring back your original settings, but instead probably make things worse. Due to the manufacturing process, a CRT comes out of the assembly chain with different random values for each setting, and a human technician has to adjust them to something sensible before sending them to the store. factory resetting means going back to before a technician tinkered with it, and you won't like it.

Most likely it's a widescreen setting, as Gerald said. It should be possible to force the aspect ratio through a menu, even if you don't have the correct pin on your Scart cable. If it isn't, it's possible that your TV is simply at its end of life, with the magnets responsible for the vertical scan rate becoming weaker. It really looks like 16/9 though.

Dr Tiger Ninestein

How stupid of me! That's about the only setting that I didn't bother fiddling with :doh:

Thank you chaps, problem solved :)