News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

C64 Come-back

Started by Bryce, 10:41, 30 August 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

ukmarkh

I'll buy it, that's for sure...

Ygdrazil

I will not but it, that's for sure...

Quote from: ukmarkh on 16:32, 31 August 10
I'll buy it, that's for sure...

:)

ukmarkh

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 05:46, 01 September 10
I will not but it, that's for sure...

Probably for the best, considering you'd try to 'but it' as you so eloquently put it.  ;)

Devilmarkus

Perhaps you can run a CPC emulator on it...  :police:
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Ygdrazil

Heh Heh, whoops!  :D

I wonder how the casing is done though :-)

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: ukmarkh on 07:31, 01 September 10

Probably for the best, considering you'd try to 'but it' as you so eloquently put it.  ;)

Gryzor

Well, starting at $500, which means possibly €500, for an ION PC you can't upgrade? Hmmmmm... :(

ukmarkh

But it looks like a C64, I'll wait for the price to drop a little... if this was an Amstrad CPC I'd hand over the cash right away.

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:51, 06 September 10
Well, starting at $500, which means possibly €500, for an ION PC you can't upgrade? Hmmmmm... :(

Gryzor

If this was an Amstrad then indeed I'd take two without blinking. Which, I suppose, is what they're driving at (but with c64 users). I do hope it catches on, though I seriously doubt it...

The thing that bothers me most is its low power. I'm looking into the micro ATX form computers because I want to install a PC in the living room that'll be as small as possible, with the screen hanging on the wall etc, and this could be a viable solution...

fano

have been a bit disapointed , just a PC  :(
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Bryce

Yes, it's "just" a PC, but the perfect PC to run an emulator on. I'd certainly buy a 6128 version.....

Hmmm, maybe I'll get an old 6128 case an install a PC in it :o)

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 10:28, 07 September 10
Yes, it's "just" a PC, but the perfect PC to run an emulator on. I'd certainly buy a 6128 version.....

Hmmm, maybe I'll get an old 6128 case an install a PC in it :o )

Bryce.
Go on ;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

AMSDOS

Just a feeling I used to have, though I did a little 8086 Assembly which kind of had a Z80 Assembly feel about it, though I guess all forms of PC Assembly has that Z80 Assembly feel about it!  :laugh:  With simple hardware like that and memory to back it up (640Kb is usually enough!  ;) ), Internet shouldn't be an issue under the CPCs own steam!  ;)
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

TFM

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 05:46, 01 September 10
I will not buy it, that's for sure...

Me either! It's ugly!!!  :P

If I would buy it, then a lightning shall hit me while using the restroom...  ;D

Quote from: Bryce on 10:28, 07 September 10
Hmmm, maybe I'll get an old 6128 case an install a PC in it :o )

Hihi! I did it vice versa! Just to get a CPC pcb and all expansions in one case  8)

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:19, 06 September 10
...The thing that bothers me most is its low power. ...

Well, that's in agreement with history. Everything in that c64 plasic box was always way inferior to other systems. Like the the c64 is way inferior to the CPC.  8) 8) 8) 
Seriously, a 1.8 GHz cpu with two cores is not state of the art.  ::)

I love CPC! I love Joyce! I love Anne (even with Roseanne)! And I love GenieIIIs!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

QuoteI love CPC! I love Joyce! I love Anne (even with Roseanne)! And I love GenieIIIs!
What a Harem you got herr Doctor.

Und ich liebe Dolly Buster und Theresa Orlowsky...

German classical cinema is so Awesome... :D

sigh

Is it backwards compatible in a non emulation way? Does it still retain the SID chips? If it's just a PC in a C64 casing then I personnaly wouldn't pay for it. Even if it was in CPC casing, I would be better off sticking with my T60p.

MacDeath

All those "8 bit comeback" are just cash catchers... and will utterly fail.

IMO the best thing to get would be extension cards for modern PCs...
with all the realcomponents of good old Hardwares so it would enable Hard-emulation...

An extension card with a Z80, An "ASIC" (CTRC+GA), the AY (or soundchips) and all those stuffs...
and the plugs-outs...

This would be cheap and proper.

Such a card could get all Z80 based british computers per example...
Mostly Speccy and CPC/PLUS.

And would use some PC parts like HDD, MAmory (shitton of it lol)... also the display, but could also get an old style monitor plugged into it.

Would be like a Video+sound card...
And turn your modern machine into a genuine old school wonder.

andycadley

Quote from: MacDeath on 13:10, 27 December 10
IMO the best thing to get would be extension cards for modern PCs...
with all the realcomponents of good old Hardwares so it would enable Hard-emulation...
Unless the original hardware was particularly difficult to emulate (the part-analogue SID chip springs to mind), there's really no advantage to this over just doing emulation entirely in software.

robcfg

Something as MacDeath suggests exists (or existed) to emulate de Sinclair QL, it is the QXL Card.

MacDeath

QuoteThis card originally cost from £295 for the 1MB version up to £495 for the 8MB version. 
:'( :'( :'(