News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

C64 Demo "E2IRA" by Arise (Moonshine Dragons 2022)

Started by Singaja, 07:26, 17 July 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Singaja

Hey guys, I know we mostly want to make friendly jokes out of c64 here, but I gotta say this demo is damn impressive

Axel

The CPC could do this in Locomotive Basic. Nothing special.

pelrun

Quote from: Axel on 10:50, 17 July 22The CPC could do this in Locomotive Basic. Nothing special.
Cool! Can't wait to see your next production! 

MaV

This C64 demo is special, one of the top ones.
I like the music, as it doesn't sound to mainstream SID-like (IMO!).

As to the effects: people here often overlook the effort put into effects on the C64 that overcome its limitations. Something like switching off the border is difficult to achieve on the C64, yet the demo does it during the walking cube in space animation at the beginning, the stars from the starfield leave the normal screen at the top (sprites? I don't know.) The wobbly skeleton graphics also seem to be done without borders.

The split vectors, i.e. the rotating cube that rotates within the two fields alternatingly and changes shapes from wireframe to solid cube to the two other patterns is not easily done on the CPC, since the left of the two fields is in a hires mode while the right part is in low-res. Something like that would demand switching MODE on every scanline on the CPC at exactly the right time and thus is very computing intense (if I'm wrong in this, somebody with more intimate knowledge should freely correct me.) Anyway, add to that this rotating cube, and you probably can't do it as quickly on the CPC.
Much the same can be said about the light casting ball ... or the rotating bars, or for that matter the light sourcing effect used to show Cthulhu. Also the wipe after the credits again goes beyond the border. The gouraud shading and env mapping of the dodecahedron is top, as well!

This can rightly be considered as a very fine and impressive C64 demo.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Prodatron

Quote from: Singaja on 07:26, 17 July 22Hey guys, I know we mostly want to make friendly jokes out of c64 here, but I gotta say this demo is damn impressive
This is just fantastic!!

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

BSC

Quote from: Axel on 10:50, 17 July 22The CPC could do this in Locomotive Basic. Nothing special.
Why waste the power of LocBasic when this could easily be made in Dr Logo?

PS: Fucking impressive demo, the C64 (scene) never fails to amaze year after year .. 
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

Maniac

A stunning piece of art in the form that is a demo! Amazing!

Axel

This was just a joke. 
The production is stunning!

TotO

The C64 demos are well polished and original, a very good artistic side, mainly missing on the CPC demos. This one was ranked 2nd on the Moonshine Dragons 2022 party... The 1st place not deserve it when compared.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Skunkfish

The rolling cube effect at 0:57 is really nice, anyone know how they achieve that effect? Any hardware effects being used?
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

pelrun

The rolling cube is almost certainly using just the character graphics mode, since the entire screen can be updated by writing only 1.5kB.

Skunkfish

Wow, shame we don't have such a mode on the CPC... A similar effect would be much harder to achieve at speed I think?

Are those characters definable on the C64?
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

eto

Quote from: Skunkfish on 17:06, 18 July 22Wow, shame we don't have such a mode on the CPC... A similar effect would be much harder to achieve at speed I think?

Are those characters definable on the C64?
yes, yes and yes