Castlevania Spectral Interlude - Massive High Quality ZX Spectrum game released!

Started by Neil79, 17:52, 13 February 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil79

QuoteAfter much waiting and excitement throughout the retro community, Sanchez has announced the release of Castlevania : Spectral Interlude for the ZX Spectrum. A very high quality homebrew release

Indie Retro News: The latest free games, indie games and retro news: Castlevania
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Neil79

The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CraigsBar

Hmmm a CPC port of that would be brilliant. But if it gets done please do it properly... Mode 0 with proper use of the 16 colour pallette, and avoidance of a tiny screen.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

MacDeath

So, when do we have a proper version, I mean one in Mode0...  :laugh:
Also : many amstrad games got booed because they didn't feature proper scrollings (greenberets anyone ?) but are OK when on speccy.

and nice transparency effect... all sprites are fanthoms, oh wait, those are actually colour clashes.
can even see some attributes artefaces on the title screen.

Jokes appart it is a well done game on speccy anyway.

Could actually work on a CPC because :
=no actual real continuous scrollings.
=masked smooth sprites = 1bpp + 1bit mask = 2bpp = equivalent to Amstrad's graphics...
=256x192 sized screen instead of 320x200 (or 160x200)

So yeah, background graphics would be heavier but otherwise, the CPC may be able to handle this quite well, even if not as fast and smooth.

And Castlevania and WonderBoy2 : monsterland or BlackTiger (Gods ?) sort of games are cruelly missing from the modern CPC productions.

Like you know, platformers with some fights and RPG flavour and equipment/stuff management.

This one doesn't have a lot of sprites on screen as well... which is a cool feature for a CPC version as well.

Also because no one seems able to post the video properly here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zVYfisnDys#t=455

have fun. ;)

VincentGR

I just watched a video of it on yt. I joined here and I see this post!!!
Looks excellent  :o

A port for the CPC would be great, I imagine that like dracula.

fgbrain

This reminds me of Stryker and the crypts of trogan... No??
_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

MacDeath

ZbyniuR

I know someone who is planning to make a version for CPC. Here are a few pictures after the initial conversion of graphics from NES, which mean disappears half of pixels. It still will be improved. ;)
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

Joseman

So code from spectrum and graphics from the NES version?

Are the original coders of the spectrum version aware of this version or cooperating in it?

anyway this can be very very interesting and promising.

ZbyniuR

Decision was made before we knew about ZX version. Graphics will be convert from NES, so 16 colors mode and 3 colors sprites. And code start from zero. Version for CPC+ with palette exactly like in NES.

Work is on very early stage. I little bit help to convert graphics, and cutting on tiles. I have to made tool for this in Basic (all I can do) to ease my job. Rest is depend of my friend. He have small baby, so not much time for coding.

Joseman

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 16:20, 15 February 15
Version for CPC+ with palette exactly like in NES.

2 versions then, cpc classic and cpc+, or only cpc+?

ZbyniuR

One version for both, which recognizes LC or Plus to use different colors.

TFM

Quote from: Joseman on 13:44, 15 February 15
anyway this can be very very interesting and promising.

Yes, another spectrum port.  :P  Would be better to do things from scratch!

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

ZbyniuR

Don't you read? It's not Spectrum port. Graphics is converted from NES in 16 colors, and code will be written from scratch.  8)

I think this ZX version is not first part Castlevania. Look different then levels which I converted.
Anyway on CPC already is Night Hunter (4 colors) which look very similar like some levels from Castlevania yyyy eeee I think 3. ;)

Joseman

According the web site:

"It was originally invisioned as a ,,demake" of Castlevania II: Simon's Quest but eventually turned into an original independent game for ZX Spectrum.·

sigh

What a lovely looking game! They've done a great job catching the Castlevania vibe.

Joseman

On msx.org forums, someone claims that he have make an agreement with the russian coders to have the source code, graphics and sound to make a port for MSX.

If someone is interested i think that source code can be a great help for a CPC port...

Carnivius

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 19:18, 18 February 15
Anyway on CPC already is Night Hunter (4 colors) which look very similar like some levels from Castlevania yyyy eeee I think 3. ;)

Ah yeah I liked that game.  Nicely animated sprites too (including the morphing of Dracula into the other forms)

Anyways I never liked the original NES Castlevanias (or the SNES game) and found them to be tedious and full of cheapness (that old falling down off the bottom of the screen you just climbed up from being an example).  However this Spectrum game somehow looks really appealing and well crafted.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife