News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Commodore online disk editor

Started by Gryzor, 15:04, 03 December 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

I wonder if someone could build something of the sort for the CPC? We could even host it here if necessary (indeed I'd be very glad to :) )

Commodore 8bit Cloud

TFM

Files in the SandBox:
Files in the SandBox expire after 48 hours of being stored.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

TFM

So..... files stay there only for 48 hours ?? ?? ??

Well, we already have a download archive here. Dunno if we need a 48 hours storage.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Why would they last more? It's a tool, not a repository.

TFM

For what could it be used? Regarding CPC... Either a file is worth to be kept or not. However DSKs are small, can be put to every email anyway. Maybe I miss the purpose of that tool though.

TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

it's a tool. It's online. Do the math.

gerald

Quote from: TFM on 17:12, 03 December 13
Maybe I miss the purpose of that tool though.
Me too !

Or is it the only way to edit disk file on an iPhone or Android phone  :P
Or a way to get a full collection of disk waiting for people uploading them for you  ;D
Or just one more proof that why bother with a simple application for a specific OS while it is easiest to register a domain, deploy a server and then write a web hosted application. ::)

TFM

Quote from: mr_lou on 20:41, 03 December 13
Online is the future. Not needing to download and install anything, but instead just surf to a site - that's the future. The sooner you get used to it, the sooner the rest of us can stop listening to your whining.

That's nice for people who have nothing to hide. But I like to have some privacy. In my younger years data safety was a big topic, but today nearly nobody seems to care any longer to provide 100% of the private life to facebook or clouds. Whatever...  :-\

I rather have my apps running on my CPC instead of depending on a server the disappears as soon as somebody pulls the plug.  ;)

TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Safety and privacy issues? With an online CPC disk editor? Um... yeah, I guess NSA will be on my ass for that :D

This is ridiculous. We're talking about an app that can be accessible from everywhere, that can be beautiful with the current frameworks available and, let'\s face it, is geeky and nice. The rest is more of a false sense of ractionism.

MaV

As to the online disk editor itself, nifty idea. But I see limited use for it. When I out of home, I most probably don't have time to edit disks. At home, this may very well be a native program.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Devilmarkus

A "typical CPC-scene thread":

One writes something (what it is, doesnt matter here), the others fight around it like children :D

I find, an online disk editor could be very useful.

Doesn't matter if is written in PHP, Perl, JavaScript or whatever.

The people are allowed to use it. If they don't like it: Simply: Don't use it.

But those who would be interested: They'd love it.
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Gryzor

I agree with you Markus 100% :) I mean, a few years back I, myself, was saying "online apps? why the heck?". But nowadays I find myself working in my browser more and more and more, since technology advances to the degree that allows you to have fully-fledged programs online. I've even set up a set of apps on my private server and use quite frequently...

And, indeed, some won't like something (it goes for everything) - just don't use it, simple as that...

mr_lou

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 18:22, 04 December 13A "typical CPC-scene thread":

One writes something (what it is, doesnt matter here), the others fight around it like children :D

Nothing particular CPC-scene about that. That's how it goes in most online communities.

Any thread can turn into a discussion on a related topic - and they often do - and that's fine.

The annoying and immature parts are the whining part + the degrading tones and sometimes personal attacks on anyone someone doesn't agree with + the "you said this" part, sometimes almost quoting another person for something he never said.

I'm currently so incredible sick and tired of those things. So much that I actually left another online community for the same reason just a week ago.
(Which might explain my seemingly short temper at the moment).

TFM

Let me suggest something: Put all the power you all use for the discussions into a project for CPC.  :) 
And instead of doing some kind of maybe-a-bit-CPC-related PC/WEB/CELL/whateverNonCPC-based project - just do something which actually runs on a CPC.  ;)
Just an idea...
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Right, thread cleaned up and split. If you wanna fight over the issue, the split thread is here: Web vs native apps - fight!

Now, I for one, would like to have an online version of CPCDiskXP. Not because it's terribly useful, though there *have* been times it would have come in handy, but because it'd be cool to have an online tool collection...