News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Commodore OS brings classic design to Linux Mint

Started by Ynot.zer0, 11:23, 04 July 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Ynot.zer0

Commodore OS brings classic design to Linux Mint - Liliputing

The Commodore 64 is an 8-bit computer that launched in 1982. It offered a whopping 64 kilobytes of RAM and earned a soft spot in geek hearts for its advance audio and graphics capabilities. Next to today's computers it looks like a piece of junk, but the folks at Commodore USA are developing products for the nostalgic set..

Bryce

Other than the name and the case they chose for their PC, it has nothing to do with the C64 really. Now if they can get Linux running on a 6510 or even a Z80, then I'll be impressed :D

Bryce.

beaker

Have they just reskinned Linux and are shipping it with a c64 emulator or have I missed something? Hardly seems something worth shouting about?!? Although if they did this with the CPC in mind I would probably be all over it  :laugh:

Ynot.zer0

Quote from: beaker on 12:28, 04 July 12
Although if they did this with the CPC in mind I would probably be all over it  :laugh:

That was my thinking   8)

Gryzor

Wtf? This is ugly as hell, just threw in lots of blues and whatnot. What relation does this have to the aesthetics of the original machine, other than being brown[nb]heh... brown... shitty... get it? :D[/nb]?
The Linux variant the new "Amiga" has looks much nicer IIRC.

[EDIT] Oh no, it *is* the same that we've mentioned before. The old vid looks better:

Commodore OS Vision Trailer

Ynot.zer0

I'll just have to keep dreaming of the mythical CPC 6128 that has a 5" monitor attached and a portable battery where the 3" disc drive is, with an embedded HXC attached running linux with a cpc emulator or just a straight cpc rom.... ah...one day.... I'd love to turn up to customer meetings, whip out the 6128 keyboard, flip the 5" screen up, turn the power on and in an instant have either spreadsheet or a text document available... ah...one day....  :'(

Gryzor

This would be something to behold!

I've actually taken an NC200 to a meeting, for notes keeping. When the meeting ended I was trying to find a 3.5" disk around the office to save them :D

TFM

That's funny! I did exactly the same. Always had my NC200 for meetings. When people got interrested, I told them: "SID down, take a look at it, enjoy, and then write a part for the live-meeting-report ;-)".
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

I think I still have the file archived in my emails somewhere. Surely, it'll come in handy :D