News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Commodore/VIC-20/cassette tape

Started by GeoffB17, 13:22, 04 March 20

Previous topic - Next topic

GeoffB17

Hello,

Anyone remember anything about VIC-20, or maybe C64?

I'm trying to find info about a program, which was available for the VIC-20.   Prog called BLITZ, where a plane flies over a city, drops bombs which gradually removes buildings (else the plane will crash into the buildings).   Success is achieved when the plane can finally land where the buildings were.

I've downloaded a file for the game, and it turns out to be a .TAP file (tape) so the file is something akin to a .WAV.

Would this sort of prog be BASIC, or similar language, or would it be m/code (6502 ?).

There is info on the web regarding decoding this sort of file (file header says 'C64-TAPE-RAW') but the question is more - would it decode to anything useful?

Was there ever a similar prog for any CPC machine?

Actually, I want the prog for my Epson HX-20, there IS such a prog for the HX but cannot source the actual prog, referred to as BOMBER, but certainly a variant of BLITZ.

Geoff

SkulleateR

Quote from: GeoffB17 on 13:22, 04 March 20
I've downloaded a file for the game, and it turns out to be a .TAP file (tape) so the file is something akin to a .WAV.

Would this sort of prog be BASIC, or similar language, or would it be m/code (6502 ?).
Could be any of them  ;)
There is info on the web regarding decoding this sort of file (file header says 'C64-TAPE-RAW') but the question is more - would it decode to anything useful?
You can use http://wav-prg.sourceforge.net/ to create a .PRG for use in emulator or transfer that to a real disk

pelrun

Quote from: GeoffB17 on 13:22, 04 March 20
Was there ever a similar prog for any CPC machine?

Have a look in the back of the 6128 manual, Bomber is there as a typein :)

GeoffB17

Great!

Yes, this is the right game.   I'll need a fair bit of rewriting, as the graphics/screen size/etc is quite different, but the structure and the essential elements are the same.

Even so, a lot easier that starting from scratch, or trying to do something with the VIC-20 TAP file.

Massive thanks.

Geoff

GeoffB17

I can close this off.

I kept on searching for the original BOMBER/BLITZ game, and finally tracked down the author of the game, Simon Taylor.

He still had his Epson HX-20, and a copy of the game on tape.   But when he tried to access the program, the machine was not working, and the tape was suspect.   However, he kindly sent the tape to me, although my tape drive was barely working anyway.

The tape contained 4 separate progs, and I was able to access later files, which suggested that there was some chance of getting something off the start of the tape.  I sent the tape to another HX-20 owner in Australia, who also had access to a microcassette recorder, and he was able to access the recording in various ways, and use Audacity to enhance the recording, and eventually got a recording that the HX-20 would recognise and load.

This file is now working, including on my HX-20 and on others too, so this 'lost' game is now 'recovered'.  The game actually works pretty well on the little HX-20 screen.  Well Pleased.

The website in Australia contains some notes regarding the recovery process, as well as the resultant .WAV file of the game.

https://www.pjspot.com/hx-20/?page_id=322

Geoff

scruss

Archive.org has the C64 version playable in the browser: Super Blitz.
Glad you got the HX20 original saved. Vic-20 BASIC is hard to port from. Even if you did run the source of https://archive.org/download/tosec-20161111-commodore-vic-20_20170305/TOSEC.2016.11.11.Commodore.VIC20.AlphaBot.zip/TOSEC.2016.11.11.Commodore.VIC20.AlphaBot%2FCommodore%20VIC20%20-%20Games%20-%20%5BPRG%5D%2FBlitz%20%281982%29%28Commodore%29.zip through petcat , it comes out as barely intelligible. It does contain Simon Taylor's address, circa 1982, though ...