News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CRT Monitor - ridiculous prices!

Started by sigh, 10:15, 08 August 21

Previous topic - Next topic

sigh

I bought a Sony GDM-FW900 widescreen CRT monitor many years ago for around £200. It's use was for my 3D animation work and Open Office. I then quickly realized that it was awful for text as it was all blurry. I left sitting around doing nothing for a few years while I worked using an lcd monitor instead.

I then started using it for gaming a few years back on my PS4 via an HD Fury X4 and it's been serving me really well. It has nice black levels, an array of different resolution options and the lagless play on fighting games is a welcome addition. However:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184984564082?hash=item2b11f07172:g:TCgAAOSwUndgw7Vi

NO.....just no.....

Gryzor

I think someone else may have posted this, but lol... Off by a couple of zeroes...

Bryce

I like the phrase "IMAGINE HOW GRAN TURISMO 7 (PS5) / FORZA MOTORSPORT (XBOX SERIES X) WOULD LOOK ON THIS MONTOR!?"

Surely for that price he could have organised a picture of both games running on the monitor. In fact he could throw a PS5 and an XBOX into the bargain and still turn a profit.

Bryce.

tjohnson

Yeah I posted this. I can only assume the seller was breathing deep on their crack pipe and hit the zero key too many times when they listed it.

sigh

It's insane! Don't get me wrong; it's a really nice monitor, but even knocking off  a "zero" on that price and I would struggle to support such a price tag.
It also weighs 7 stone.

eto

Quote from: sigh on 20:42, 09 August 21
It's insane! Don't get me wrong; it's a really nice monitor, but even knocking off  a "zero" on that price and I would struggle to support such a price tag.
It also weighs 7 stone.

As long as someone is willing to pay for it, it would be insane NOT to ask for that price ;-)

Bryce

For that price you could get a custom monitor made to the exact specifications you wanted. So it would still be insane.

Bryce.

sigh

Quote from: Bryce on 13:54, 10 August 21
For that price you could get a custom monitor made to the exact specifications you wanted. So it would still be insane.

Bryce.
Actually - that's a very interesting point. How much would it cost to build a widescreen CRT that has the same resolution options as the FW900, but with the added 15khz ( for retro computing) and a built in HDMI signal converter?

Bryce

The problem would be that as soon as you put a HDMI converter in the chain you are then back to a sampled system and the CRTC tricks don't work any more.

15kHz may also be an issue because you have too much screen area to scan at high speed with a low speed signal. It would otherwise be possible as long as you had a tube that had the native resolution that you need.

Bryce.

sigh

Quote from: Bryce on 19:19, 11 August 21
The problem would be that as soon as you put a HDMI converter in the chain you are then back to a sampled system and the CRTC tricks don't work any more.

15kHz may also be an issue because you have too much screen area to scan at high speed with a low speed signal. It would otherwise be possible as long as you had a tube that had the native resolution that you need.

Bryce.
So what would it cost to have those current resolutions in a wide screen CRT with the 15kHz?

Bryce

No idea, that would involve a lot of work and planning (that I don't intend doing) just to calculate the price.

Bryce.

arkive

It's not actually that insane, only a little bit crazy. The reason being that this particular monitor is considered the holy grail by the audiophile-level, PVM-is-king crowd. Now, I love CRTs, yet I would never pay this kind money - even 750 - because even though it's a very good monitor indeed the price difference is not worth it compared to a lesser model. But the hype for these things is so high now that I wouldn't be surprised if some rich kid/geek actually got it.

The seller is also from London, and this area is especially prone to CRT scalping (even silly, small Trinitrons get listed for >100 GBP around here now).

sigh

Gryzor

£7500? HAHAHA WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK