News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

WHICH IS BEST? Swiv title music: Amiga vs Snes

Started by ZEUSDAZ, 23:27, 17 February 16

Previous topic - Next topic

ZEUSDAZ

Hi everyone, well after the large turn out of voting on the previous 2 "Which Is Best?" videos on my channel, (Amiga Double Dragon 3 title music winning against Dos version, and Hybris defeating Xenon 2 in the 2nd go against video), I decided this months compitition would pit the Amiga and Snes versions of Swiv's title music.
Which will win this this month?!,...well that's all down to you out there, happy voting
Votes will take pririty postion on the actual video:

All the best, Zeus

SRS

I can't see a CPC in this ... not even an Amstrad ... so ... sorry, not my cup of tea

ZEUSDAZ

Quote from: SRS on 23:39, 17 February 16
I can't see a CPC in this ... not even an Amstrad ... so ... sorry, not my cup of tea

That's why this is shared under "Other Retro" catagory,...because It's not Amstrad  :doh:
Surly you like other systems, tons of amstrad fans that love the Amiga,...same as speccy and C64,...many of us adore more than 1 machine  :D

SRS

Gryzor

Well, guys, the vid is correctly placed in the "other retro" category indeed, I really don't see why the need to just post if all you're going to say is "I don't care about that system".

I never realised SWIV had such a great tune to warrant a comparison though??

Bytebreaker

In order to get back to topic:
In my opinion, the Amiga soundtrack is much better. It is a typical, smooth Protracker tune. Combined with the classic 2D graphics, I recognize it as a true Amiga game.

The SNES version is also typical, but not in the Amiga way. The japanese console games have a storytelling tradition even for stories where there's actually nothing really relevant to tell. That's why they add big intros, outtros and in-game sequences to even the most stupid shoot 'em up and save the princess game. Super SWIV is no exception and the "story", if you want to call it that way, has the same depth of plot like an XXX movie, with the only difference that Super SWIV is about shooting and not about scr...

The Amiga version does not pretend to have a "story", it's a shooting game, period. That's more honest to me. The SNES version looks very good and also sounds good, but it's not my taste. The music sound too much like early 90s "Techno" and not like 80s synth music (somehow, SWIV is some kind of Airwolf to me and I see Huckleberry Hawk sitting in it. Swiv is also the successor of Silkworm, and Silkworm IS a helicopter). The graphics of the SNES version are, at least concerning the title screens, rendered graphics, since that was modern in the early 90s, see also Donkey Kong on SNES.

I find the old homecomputer style much better, but that's a matter of taste, not of quality. Technically, both games are very good in every regard.

Kris

Definitely, the Amiga version sounds better  :P

seanb

Amiga for me.

It sounds clear unlike the Snes that as usual sounds like it was recorded in a bath with a pillow over the microphone.

A bit of an exaggeration but the muffled sound never appealed to me
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

VincentGR

Quote from: seanb on 15:32, 26 February 16
Amiga for me.

It sounds clear unlike the Snes that as usual sounds like it was recorded in a bath with a pillow over the microphone.

A bit of an exaggeration but the muffled sound never appealed to me

Same here, and that went to N64 later on gfx... Gaussian blur by deafault  :laugh: