News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Division by zero on a mechanical calculator

Started by Singaja, 17:49, 05 April 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Singaja

MacDeath

oh sh****t, this will be the end of the world...

dragon

And what happend in today devices?

[/url]

[EDIT: Please remember to use the YouTube button to embed your video]

||C|-|E||

That one is a really cool calculator, although she seemed quite trolled in the video  :-\

AMSDOS

* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Bryce

My mechanical calculator is a generation older, so no motor, you have to wind the handle yourself. Division by zero gets quite tiring after a few minutes and I usually give up.

Bryce.

Gryzor

You really have one? And you haven't posted any vids/photos yet? :)

1024MAK

Hmm, a cake divided by zero = more cake for me  :laugh:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:01, 08 April 16
You really have one? And you haven't posted any vids/photos yet? :)

A mechanical calculator? Yes. I restored it myself a few years back. I'll post a picture when I get home.

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTEC 8000X mit Tapatalk 2.

Bryce

Just for Gryzor:
This is one of my Mechanical Calculators. The Triumphator HZN from 1936. Full restored and working. This was one of the more advanced (expensive) models of the time that did multiplication and division. Unfortunately it doesn't do Hex, so it's not really suitable for programming.

[attach=2]

Bryce.

dragon

Quote from: Bryce on 12:35, 10 April 16
Just for Gryzor:
This is one of my Mechanical Calculators. The Triumphator HZN from 1936. Full restored and working. This was one of the more advanced (expensive) models of the time that did multiplication and division. Unfortunately it doesn't do Hex, so it's not really suitable for programming.

[attach=2]

Bryce.

Amazing right? a 1936 device can made multiplication, but z80 from de 70 middle not. :)

Quote from: Bryce on 08:52, 06 April 16
My mechanical calculator is a generation older, so no motor, you have to wind the handle yourself. Division by zero gets quite tiring after a few minutes and I usually give up.

Bryce.

Because its a 2x1 device , its help your mind to made big calculations, and in the same its help you made musculature without go to fitness center.

Thats remember me i play the friday with a friend to the fallout 4 in the ps4, and he have a weapon thats use the same system as your calculator to reload one shot. jeje.

Bryce

Actually, it multiplies using the same method as a Z80, by adding the number to itself X amount of times.

Bryce.

robcfg

Amazing device! It also helps the nice condition you keep it in.

Thanks for the picture!

remax

Quote from: dragon on 12:57, 10 April 16
Because its a 2x1 device , its help your mind to made big calculations, and in the same its help you made musculature without go to fitness center.

At this time, being a geek and being fit was not antinomic  :P
Brain Radioactivity

||C|-|E||

Quote from: Bryce on 12:35, 10 April 16
Just for Gryzor:

[attach=2]

Bryce.

Loving the name!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

P.D: The machine is really cool as well.

Gryzor

Wow, what a beauty.... I'd really, really, really love to have one. It's gorgeous. And of course the name is fantastic too! :D

Thanks for sharing :)

Bryce

As I mentioned to someone else here. The really amazing bits are inside. I'll be doing some more work on it later and I'll post a picture of that too. Unlike the Z80, you can see how this machine calculates :)

Bryce.

1024MAK

Quote from: Bryce on 15:31, 12 April 16
As I mentioned to someone else here. The really amazing bits are inside. I'll be doing some more work on it later and I'll post a picture of that too. Unlike the Z80, you can see how this machine calculates :)
Now that would be good, I look forward to seeing pictures of the inner workings  :D
Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

Bryce

Ok, so here it is inside. For those who know their mechanical calculators, the negative decimal shift is broken. Positive shifts work fine, but negative shifts only go half way. Both the front and the thumb shift levers have the same problem, so the problem must be on the result cylinder. I suspect that a tooth on the shift lever is damaged, but to find out, I need to strip in down completely.  :( Major work that I don't really have time for at the moment.

Bryce.

robcfg

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 20:40, 12 April 16Major work that I don't really have time for at the moment.
Bryce.

Oh well, I'll give you €50 for it.

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:29, 13 April 16

Oh well, I'll give you €50 for it.

Yeah, sure. Including postage I assume? :D

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 15:31, 12 April 16
... Unlike the Z80, you can see how this machine calculates :)

Well, I can see that on on 6510 too.  ;D :P 8) ;) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus