News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Installing a ROM into a BBC B

Started by dcdrac, 18:41, 23 April 13

Previous topic - Next topic

dcdrac

I need to install a ROM chip into a BBC B from the picture I have found it seems the slots are at the front.
The working non smelly BBC B I have has the Watford DFS installed in it, the ROM  I need to install is Floppy drive emulator controller, would this conflict with the Watford DFS?

dcdrac

ok opened up two of the beebs one has all its rom slots full will have to find out what they are, the other one, one of the smelly but working ones has its rom slots free.

Bryce

Hi dcdrac,
       You can use the *ROMS command to list what ROMs are initialised in the BBC. To disable a ROM you use the *UNPLUG command and to enable a ROM use the *INSERT command. As well as that, you can use the *CO. FILE command to define which ROM is used as default for file-system control. So *CO. FILE, 9 would tell the BBC to direct file system requests to the ROM in slot 9. So both ROMs could be installed and initialised and still not clash.

Bryce.

TheCorfiot

Quote from: Bryce on 08:27, 24 April 13
Hi dcdrac,
       You can use the *ROMS command to list what ROMs are initialised in the BBC. To disable a ROM you use the *UNPLUG command and to enable a ROM use the *INSERT command. As well as that, you can use the *CO. FILE command to define which ROM is used as default for file-system control. So *CO. FILE, 9 would tell the BBC to direct file system requests to the ROM in slot 9. So both ROMs could be installed and initialised and still not clash.

Bryce.

This info, although absolutely correct only applies to Master MOS 3.20 or higher not Model B's running OS 1.20 unless of course you fit some utility rom first to provide similar functions....

TC  :)

Bryce

Oops, sorry. I only have Electron and Master experience. I thought those commands worked on all BBCs. :(

I should stick to electronics :)

Bryce.

dcdrac

TheCorfiot I will be getting the BBCs off to you in two weeks time after payday.

TheCorfiot

Quote from: dcdrac on 18:33, 24 April 13
TheCorfiot I will be getting the BBCs off to you in two weeks time after payday.

That's cool my friend, reckon we can get some nice mods in there for you too...maybe even a Romboard and some roms.

TC   ;)

TFM

WoW. That picture is amazing - what an IC grave!  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:26, 24 April 13
WoW. That picture is amazing - what an IC grave!  ;)

Why grave? They are all alive and well :)

Bryce.

TFM

Let's hope they stay well. However for best wished a Z80 is a prerequisite here  ;D ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TheCorfiot

Quote from: TFM/FS on 22:18, 24 April 13
Let's hope they stay well. However for best wished a Z80 is a prerequisite here  ;D ;)

Ah cmon behave,,, Z80 and 6502 can live together in harmony....
I was brought up on the 6502 but I do enjoy thge Z80 too in my MTX512 and CPC's....
Not that horrid ZX Sphinctum though lol.

The Commodore C128, now that actually has a 6502 and a Z80 on the Mainboard...

My BBC micro system at home also has a Z80 CoProcessor too.....

See it's easy.......

TC  ;)

TFM

Haha, well I was born under the Z80, so it will remain my favorite cpu. And some fun about other cpus.... well, I just can't resist ;-)
But never mind - don't take it serious :-DDD
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

I started on the 6800, then moved to the 6502 and then to the Z80. All of the home computer 8 bit processors are great :) It's how they are implemented that makes the difference.

Bryce.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft