News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Life of Pixel

Started by Gryzor, 11:00, 19 May 14

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:22, 22 May 14
But I didn't mean emulate all the different levels/systems on the CPC. I mean that the CPC levels could be done on a CPC, the BBC ones on a BBC and so on...
understood.

Yes they could potentially, as long as they didn't do things like hardware scroll by the pixel, or put more sprites on screen than the cpc could do, then the cpc version wouldn't be the same.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

arnoldemu

Quote from: MacDeath on 10:50, 22 May 14
I didn't meant to use BBC micro code on the CPC...
Understood.

Yes you could put the BBC graphics on the CPC - I've done that before.

And yes it would be possible to have a cpc version of a bbc game by writing it for cpc.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Neil79

QuoteWhy is it so good you ask, well factor in that you can play through a multi generation of gaming such as the Atari 2600, ZX81, ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC, BBC Model B, Apple II, Nintendo GameBoy, NES & Master System. With each level taking on the tone and feel of that system, it's as if you were playing on the original hardware without emulation

Indie Retro News: Free Games, Indie Games and Retro Games!: Life of Pixel - Play
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

SyX

Great discovery Neil79, the link to the developers page is www.lifeofpixel.co.uk, and there is a picture of the CPC graphic style level and a nice pixeled CPC 464.

Gryzor

Already discussed, and this is the wrong forum :) Moving and merging...

Thanks for the review though!

mr_lou

Yes, already discussed.

I'd like to add this though:

How cool would it be, if retro game developers on various platforms, worked together to create a game in this style?

It would start on e.g. Amiga (or some other most-popular platform), and in the end of the level (or 4 levels), the player would be told that he was beamed to some other platform.

This would "force" the player to now find an emulator for that machine (or get the real device) and play the next part of the game on that platform.

It could be a fun project that would somehow "force" retro game fans to explore other retro platforms.
All developers, musicians and graphics artists on the various platforms would therefor (of course) work really hard to impress people with "their" platform.

:)

Gryzor

Hah, nice idea! At the end of each platform's levels the program could generate a file with statistics etc that would need to be loaded onto the next platform to continue...

Carnivius

Nice idea in theory but from comments I've read before most people just find it too much trouble using certain emulators for systems they never had any experience with (particularly the Amiga which can be complicated to run if you have no Amiga experience aaand you do need to legally own the Kickstart roms) and a game like that could put many people off even bothering.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Gryzor

True, but then again I think it's clear that such an effort would be aimed squarely at persons of our own ilk :)

CraigsBar

I have kept an original set or Amiga 1200 roms and a os 3.9 install CD so my emulation is legal. I'd certainly be keen for this.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Carnivius

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:18, 09 June 14
True, but then again I think it's clear that such an effort would be aimed squarely at persons of our own ilk :)

I think the audience for such a thing narrows with each system emulator required though.  I certainly have no interest in ever using a C64 emulator again.   If I need to look up reference for C64 games I just look up videos on youtube or screenshots.  I've no desire to actually play a game with such a low-saturated muddy palette again.   Same kinda goes for Atari ST.  I used to have an emulator for a while I deleted it when I realised I was pretty much always just choosing the Amiga versions of the games anyway.  I'm a lil OCD about clutter in the 'real world' and on my hard drives so I tend to delete things I'm not using.

I think it's just one of those things that sounds kinda neat in theory but just seems like a hassle when it comes to practicality. 
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Gryzor

Quote from: CraigsBar on 10:41, 09 June 14
I have kept an original set or Amiga 1200 roms and a os 3.9 install CD so my emulation is legal. I'd certainly be keen for this.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Well, at some point I did buy the ROMs myself, but I was wondering, if you just have an Amiga, I think it's legal to download them, no?

CraigsBar

I sold all my Amiga 1200 kit earlier this year. I needed an ssd and 16gb ram for my MacBook pro.

I kept the upgraded 1200 roms and the os 3.9 cd. Since the machine had a new hdd and os 3.1 install.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

mr_lou

A game adventure project like this obviously isn't for everyone.
It would certainly be something new, adding another dimension to retro gaming. Not for everyone, but I'm sure some will be intrigued by it.

Each level would end with something like: "Oh no, you were beamed to the Game Boy" and then some short url like "gamename.com/somecode" where there'd be links to various Game Boy emulators for various systems along with the Game Boy game file.
And of course, a short description of how to get the game going, i.e. load and run and such.

We could add sponsor banners on those pages too.  ;)
IndieGameMusic.com could perhaps sponsor the CPC part of the whole game.  :)

I think the whole idea has great potential, but it'll require a lot of work from a lot of people - and everyone will have to work together and follow some basic guidelines that was agreed upon before starting.

Gryzor

Furthering the idea: each platform section should actually reflect its era, growing from simplisting character-based ZX80 mini-games to substantial gameplay in the 16-bit era...