News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Looking to buy and Amiga 1200.. advice needed

Started by beaker, 17:57, 03 February 13

Previous topic - Next topic

beaker

Thanks again, I think my NeoGeo console is going to have to wait until next month at this rate  :laugh:

beaker

Out of interest, would I be better holding out for a Blizzard board with an FPU? I don't think the one I linked to (http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=41070&highlight=blizzard+1230) has one?

steve

beaker

Thanks Steve  :) I've made an offer to the chap and see what he says  :D

steve

Just looked at that listing, I think you might do better buying a new accelerator from amigakit, they have several in stock here,
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=aca

ralferoo

Quote from: steve on 02:15, 16 February 13
Just looked at that listing, I think you might do better buying a new accelerator from amigakit, they have several in stock here,
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=aca
FWIW, a friend from work just bought the "ACA 1232/25Mhz 128MB Accelerator" about a week ago - it's pricey, but he's very happy with it so far.

beaker

Cool, that's about the same price I offered the chap for the Blizzard card and he rejected so I'll probably get one of those then :)

Marq

The Blizzard is faster and true & tested. It's a common wisdom in the Amiga scene that you should only buy Blizzard  8)

CraigsBar

I am sat here looking at 2 1200's

Beaker if you want one I can certainly let one of them go.

It would unfortunately be the lower specced of the 2 that I woudl be happy to part with, so No Indivision AGA, Catweasel or Blizzard 1230 but I can provide it with a decent selection of original (Launch bundle) games and fw 3.1 and OS 3.9

Let me know if you are still looking for one.

Regards

Craig.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce

Beaker now has an A1200 and 8MB RAM too I think.

Bryce.

beaker

Hey Craig, sorry got sidetracked  :-[

Thanks for the kind offer, yes Bryce is correct, I now have an Amiga 1200 and the 8MB RAM arrived in the post Monday from FitzSteve on Amibay (Bryce kindly pointed me to, thanks :) just need to get around to installing it now) so should all be set for WHLoad goodness (well once I get the mouse button working properly).  :)

CraigsBar

Quote from: beaker on 09:14, 17 April 13
Hey Craig, sorry got sidetracked  :-[

Thanks for the kind offer, yes Bryce is correct, I now have an Amiga 1200 and the 8MB RAM arrived in the post Monday from FitzSteve on Amibay (Bryce kindly pointed me to, thanks :) just need to get around to installing it now) so should all be set for WHLoad goodness (well once I get the mouse button working properly).  :)

Ah well, Enjoy it. I never had one at the time as I had a 6128plus and could not justify the additional outlay. I recently placed bids on 2 on Ebay, and won both (ahem) oh well I have it for the fun of it now.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

beaker

Thanks Craig, I am in the same boat - I never had one at the time instead I went from my CPC to a PC around the mid-90's.

There's a chance my 1200 may be a bit of a duffer though. I've noticed some random lines on a few games on a few games but not all... I've opened a thread on Amibay to see if anyone knows there and they've given me some suggestions but I have a feeling it's going to be a bit of dodgy RAM or something once the software is ruled out...  :'(

ralferoo

Quote from: beaker on 18:46, 21 April 13
There's a chance my 1200 may be a bit of a duffer though. I've noticed some random lines on a few games on a few games but not all... I've opened a thread on Amibay to see if anyone knows there and they've given me some suggestions but I have a feeling it's going to be a bit of dodgy RAM or something once the software is ruled out...  :'(
Yeah, it looks like 1 correct bit every 64 pixels, with 5 corrupt pixels across a 320 pixel wide screen. As the screen is bitmapped, this suggests 5 pixels in 320 bits. This surprises me though as with a 32-bit wide system, I'd expect the corrupt lines to occur 10 times across the screen. But whatever, it's probably just a loose pin on one of the RAM chips, a quick look at the schematics suggests checking pins 2-10 or 31-39.

It's obviously a problem with chip ram though as it affects video, but not a problem in lower memory or the system would likely not even boot into a game. If you have a trapdoor expansion board, maybe try unplugging that.

EDIT: I just remembered that the A1200 comes with the chip RAM fully populated at 2MB and the trapdoor expansion is
for fast RAM. That means I'd probably be most suspicious of U18 and U19 (referring to http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/downloads/A1200_schematics.pdf)

beaker

Thanks Ralferoo :) I'll open the machine up (probably next weekend with the week I have ahead) and make sure the chips are pushed down properly :)

TheCorfiot

Hey Beaker

Nice setup, congrats, the A1200 is a lovely machine.

If you are having troubles with your purchase, do get in touch with Fitzsteve, he's a lovely chap and very helpfull, if it appears that you have a mainboard fault he will more than likely replace it for you...

Steve is currently away on hols at the moment but will be back soon....

Give him a shout..

TC  ;)

Bryce

Quote from: beaker on 20:46, 21 April 13
Thanks Ralferoo :) I'll open the machine up (probably next weekend with the week I have ahead) and make sure the chips are pushed down properly :)

Pushing won't help much, they are SMD chips.

Bryce.

beaker

Quote from: Bryce on 08:33, 22 April 13
Pushing won't help much, they are SMD chips.

Bryce.

Ah, do'h!  :)

Quote from: TheCorfiot on 08:07, 22 April 13
Hey Beaker

Nice setup, congrats, the A1200 is a lovely machine.

If you are having troubles with your purchase, do get in touch with Fitzsteve, he's a lovely chap and very helpfull, if it appears that you have a mainboard fault he will more than likely replace it for you...

Steve is currently away on hols at the moment but will be back soon....

Give him a shout..

TC  ;)

Thanks TC I will do, I actually bought my 8MB RAM board from Fitzsteve last week and he said if I have any problems give him a shout  :)