News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Microsoft releases the source code of GW BASIC

Started by Gryzor, 12:25, 26 May 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Bryce

So who's up for porting it to Z80?

Bryce.

scruss

Since MS relied heavily on code translators to generate their assembly source, you'd likely end up with something really close to M-BASIC on CP/M.

mr.freeze

Gryzor

asertus

Gryzor

Yes, but this is the original one, no?

tjohnson

I thought I had a book on this but it turns out it is actually QuickBASIC instead.  For some reason I kept this one.

mr_lou

I spent a lot of time with GW-Basic in the lonely years after my CPC era. When everyone I knew had left the CPC, forcing me to scout for new ways to continue my BASIC interest.
At that time I'd had Amiga for a while, and what I really should have discovered was something like AMOS, but since no one told me about that I ended up spending a lot of time with GW-Basic on the PC's at school when everyone else had gone home.

So my feelings towards GW-Basic is a bit mixed. It was fun to be able to code more BASIC stuff, but it was also sad that there was no CPC involved anymore.

Cheveron

I think it will be quite a challenge to backport the 8086 version of MBASIC to Z80. My own SE Basic IV 4.2 for the Z80 aims to be fairly MBASIC compatible and is entirely open source. It also compiles with RASM.

https://github.com/cheveron/sebasic4/wiki