News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Roland of Sherwood

Started by Carnivius, 14:31, 28 July 15

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Phone box ? ? ? So.....                  Roland = Dr.Who .......... !
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Carnivius

Quote from: TFM on 18:47, 26 August 15
Phone box ? ? ? So.....                  Roland = Dr.Who .......... !

Think we already established elsewhere that Roland must be a Time Lord if he's got a phonebox that can travel through space and time and he constantly changes appearance. 

I still remember hearing the Doctor Who theme playing on Roland in Time the first time I loaded it up when I was a kid.  It was the closest thing I had to an actual Doctor Who game at the time.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Carnivius

Dammit I just noticed that GIF is running way too fast.  Oh I can't be bothered doing another one today.   You guys get the idea.  Just imagine that GIF is a lot slower so the phone box looks like it's swooping across the screen rather than buzzing around like a fly.

Definitely going to be using a version of it in the short lil intro sequence and the ending.

Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Neil79

Quote from: Carnivac on 21:09, 26 August 15
  Oh I can't be bothered doing another one today.

Thank f for that  :laugh:
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Carnivius

Status bar redone as medieval banner. Menus now auto-tiled to look like scrolls. New font.

Main game stuff almost all done.  Doing more screen layouts now.  That's the tricky bit.  Coming up with obstacle courses for each screen.  Going well though.

CraigsBar

Oh wow. This looks more polished with every screenshot. I really hope we get a real CPC conversion soon, and a gx cart ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

||C|-|E||

It really looks awesome  :)

Carnivius

Quote from: CraigsBar on 11:45, 31 August 15
I really hope we get a real CPC conversion soon, and a gx cart ;)

You mean a version transferred onto C4CPC?  Or it's own dedicated cartridge with box and stuff?   ???

CraigsBar

Quote from: Carnivac on 14:09, 31 August 15
You mean a version transferred onto C4CPC?  Or it's own dedicated cartridge with box and stuff?   ???
I'd take either
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

tastefulmrship

Sir, that last image looks great! I agree that each image just gets better and better!
However, it looks even better in WinAPE, but looks fecking rediculously good on my CTM644!

Going back to that kickstarter-thread (that has mysteriously died a death) I'll repeat myself here; this game has got to be converted to CPC; I would pay top dollar to see it running on my 6128! With a level-editor bolted on top, just imagine the infinite fun we all could have with Roland!

Lazy Dude

you have to remember this is someone's personal project we are seeing here and it is therefore exempt from all the normal pressures and limits of a crowd funded jobbie

Carnivius

Hadn't even thought of a level editor.  That's something the CPC coders could consider doing (whoever they may be). 

TFM

If you guys need a level editor you can use one I made a while ago....

R-Type Game Editor (GSEd) on Amstrad CPC / FutureOS - YouTube

It allows to create levels and to put attributes to every GE (graphical element), ehm... tile.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Carnivius

Project slowed a bit this past week cos on two occasions I spent hours trying to fix a couple of bugs only for the answer to be stupidly simple (I overthink every damn thing).  And also I'm just having a bit trouble with my depression and anxiety and aspergers and all that malarkey.  Trying to stay upbeat and all that but it's been hard to focus on stuff like this when I just feel the urge to get out and go riding my bicycle as far and as fast as I can.   Damn I would have loved this game to get released in time for the new series of Doctor Who but that's next saturday so not bloody likely.  :o

Anyways those bugs all fixed and I'm doing another couple of rooms.  I still haven't added the gun's purpose in code yet.  Surprised no one has ever asked why there is a green retro-sci-fi raygun in the status bar contrasting with the medieval stuff when Roland didn't have a gun in the original Space and Time games.   All will be revealed in time...   

And that was a clue in itself I didn't even realise I gave til I read it back.

Carnivius

Sorry if anyone liked the bold bright sunny day look of the forest before but it just didn't fit the idea of a bewitched forest in England (Sunny Sherwood is too much of an Errol Flynn Robin Hood thing when this is more based on the grittier dark realistic rainy Sherwood of Robin of Sherwood)  So a dark storm is much more suited.   As well as the palette shift in various tiles, the clouds have been redone and now that the old tree foliage tiles look a bit fluffy like clouds I redid those too so the outer tiles are leafy looking.   Rock and grass tiles are now revamped with more detail rather the old mario-esque simplicity of the old ones.   And the trees have trunks now (dunno why I forgot those before when I had already done some for Cosmic Prison Commando...and note these are new ones, not just copied over from that project).   And you can see why I asked about rain in the programming topic. 

invent

Nice rain effect and nice improvement on your previous design.

The top score panel is also a great improvement and adds to the style of the game.
Enjoying/Creating Retro Games

ervin

Stunning.
Just... stunning.

seanb

@Carnivac much better.
The ribbon on top and darker tone of it suits it better.
Like the rain and the new tiles make it look like a more mature game as opposed to the more nintendo-esque family friendly look and tone of previously.
You've upgraded to edgy Sega :)
But seriously I still like the old look and would be very happy playing that.

Fantastic work as always.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Neil79

The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Carnivius

Quote from: seanb on 14:57, 23 October 15
Like the rain and the new tiles make it look like a more mature game as opposed to the more nintendo-esque family friendly look and tone of previously.
You've upgraded to edgy Sega :)
But seriously I still like the old look and would be very happy playing that.

Yeah, the old tiles and colour scheme are fine, just not the way this project is headed and if anyone wants to use them in something then feel free.   I think I always gravitate to the darker things even in 'cutesy' stuff.  I think it's one reason I like the dark night time look of the Spec/CPC Dizzy games over their more colourful upgraded 16-bit versions.   Even if I did a Dizzy game myself and used Mode 0 for the extra colours it would probably resemble more this new Roland of Sherwood shot in many ways.  An adventure is always more exciting and tense when the environment has a dangerous atmosphere to it.  You go to a sunny beach to relax, not fight for your life.  :)

||C|-|E||

It looks really nice and cool! but I like the other one as well  :D

Hellraiser

I guess the captain abandoned the ship since there are no news of further development?

keith56

Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

Skunkfish

It looks like a Robin Hood rather than Roland game now from what I've seen on Twitter...
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Carnivius

Yeah the project got seperated into two due to various reasons all too tedious to go into here.
So the Roland stuff is gone from here and going into a simpler more Roland in Time/Space-authentic collecting the gems game while this game has now become more of an action game with sword/bow combat and just about Robin Hood (but am still struggling for a name cos most of the best ones have been taken over the years).

Sorry if it bothers anyone.  Big changes can sometimes occur during game development and sometimes people get disappointed with things in earlier works-in-progress missing or heavily altered from the finished released version.  It's one reason why I stopped posting updates for my projects here.  Prefer to wait til I got things sorted for demos. 
Both games are fun though and coming along well.  In my opinion.