News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Roland of Sherwood

Started by Carnivius, 14:31, 28 July 15

Previous topic - Next topic

ervin

Quote from: Carnivius on 10:16, 04 April 17
Yeah the project got seperated into two due to various reasons all too tedious to go into here.
So the Roland stuff is gone from here and going into a simpler more Roland in Time/Space-authentic collecting the gems game while this game has now become more of an action game with sword/bow combat and just about Robin Hood (but am still struggling for a name cos most of the best ones have been taken over the years).

Sorry if it bothers anyone.  Big changes can sometimes occur during game development and sometimes people get disappointed with things in earlier works-in-progress missing or heavily altered from the finished released version.  It's one reason why I stopped posting updates for my projects here.  Prefer to wait til I got things sorted for demos. 
Both games are fun though and coming along well.  In my opinion.

Thanks for the update.
I always look forward to screens of your work - can't wait to see more of those two.
8)

EgoTrip

Quote from: Carnivius on 21:34, 23 October 15
You go to a sunny beach to relax, not fight for your life.  :)

Historically that's not true. More often than not, those sunny beaches are where invading forces appeared and started killing everyone in their path.

Carnivius

Yes but I wasn't speaking historically.   I meant in general people don't tend to go to the beach with the fear of coming to any harm except possibly a nasty sunburn. :P
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

remax

Quote from: EgoTrip on 08:59, 05 April 17
Historically that's not true. More often than not, those sunny beaches are where invading forces appeared and started killing everyone in their path.

That's also where you go when you want to recover a banana picker
Brain Radioactivity

EgoTrip

Quote from: Carnivius on 14:56, 05 April 17
Yes but I wasn't speaking historically.   I meant in general people don't tend to go to the beach with the fear of coming to any harm except possibly a nasty sunburn. :P

Sun? In the UK?

EgoTrip

Quote from: remax on 15:10, 05 April 17

That's also where you go when you want to recover a banana picker

Or Lego. Loads of Lego washes up on UK beaches because containers were sunk.

Carnivius

Quote from: EgoTrip on 15:41, 05 April 17
Sun? In the UK?

Uh yeah.  Sun.  Had a couple of sunny days in March (despite it so not being the season) and it's just become very sunny this afternoon and english summers are enough to cause me trouble (and even put me in hospital) as sunlight and heat cause me a lot of health issues.   Which is frustrating when everyone else is having a fantastic time and I've always been forced to avoid the sun as much as possible.
Despite what people think it doesn't just rain here all the time. 
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

VincentGR

Quote from: Carnivius on 16:12, 05 April 17
Uh yeah.  Sun.  Had a couple of sunny days in March (despite it so not being the season) and it's just become very sunny this afternoon and english summers are enough to cause me trouble (and even put me in hospital) as sunlight and heat cause me a lot of health issues.   Which is frustrating when everyone else is having a fantastic time and I've always been forced to avoid the sun as much as possible.
Despite what people think it doesn't just rain here all the time.

Sorry to hear that  :(

PS: Never visit Greece...

Carnivius

Quote from: VincentGR on 16:27, 05 April 17

Sorry to hear that  :(

PS: Never visit Greece...

:)  My parents live in Spain. I've never been able to visit them so have to wait for them to visit england. :P

SRS

Quote from: Carnivius on 14:56, 05 April 17

Since my holiday in end of june 2015 at tunisia this is no longer true for me. But in general ppl may just go there for fun. Even in englaland. :)

Carnivius

Still bloody difficult coming up with a name for a Robin Hood game that hasn't been used before and is short enough that designing the logo won't be a tedious chore...

jesusdelmas

Quote from: Carnivius on 17:57, 16 April 17
Still bloody difficult coming up with a name for a Robin Hood game that hasn't been used before and is short enough that designing the logo won't be a tedious chore...

Was this project finished at some point,?

Carnivius

Nope.   But still something I work on (as well as the other projects) and I'm much happier with how it's going these days (a more simplified platformer like a fun budget game and more 464-friendly for when time comes that it can be ported to actual CPC). 
And to explain again (if I didn't a couple years ago) the project split into two.  One a more focused Robin Hood game (see below) and one a more pure Roland game in the vein of Time or Space (not showing that yet but that's where the Roland sprites such as himself and the phonebox have gone to)

I was considering uploading a couple pics from it later this month but  in the past I had find crappy having uploaded screenshots and got people interested (and shared on some sites) only for my brain to be unable to keep working on these things at a speed that doesn't frustrate people and make them tired of waiting and so I felt like crap and useless.  But since you ask i guess it ok to upload a couple now (it's got a CRT filter on these, that the pc versions of these projects have as an option that can be adjusted or turned off).  Hope you like and that folk aren't expecting too muich of any of my cruddy projects.  I had to cut them down in size a lot or else I'll never get any of them completed. 
Pic 1
Pic 2

jesusdelmas

Quote from: Carnivius on 13:46, 13 March 19
Nope.   But still something I work on (as well as the other projects) and I'm much happier with how it's going these days (a more simplified platformer like a fun budget game and more 464-friendly for when time comes that it can be ported to actual CPC). 
And to explain again (if I didn't a couple years ago) the project split into two.  One a more focused Robin Hood game (see below) and one a more pure Roland game in the vein of Time or Space (not showing that yet but that's where the Roland sprites such as himself and the phonebox have gone to)

I was considering uploading a couple pics from it later this month but  in the past I had find crappy having uploaded screenshots and got people interested (and shared on some sites) only for my brain to be unable to keep working on these things at a speed that doesn't frustrate people and make them tired of waiting and so I felt like crap and useless.  But since you ask i guess it ok to upload a couple now (it's got a CRT filter on these, that the pc versions of these projects have as an option that can be adjusted or turned off).  Hope you like and that folk aren't expecting too muich of any of my cruddy projects.  I had to cut them down in size a lot or else I'll never get any of them completed. 
Pic 1

Pic 2

Thanks for your update!! Good to know thede projects are still alive, the pictures look really good, i hope you can finish the cpc versions soon :)

Gryzor

As always, just gorgeous...

GUNHED

Pretty pretty. An idea: At the end oft the "grass" or "eart" layers it would be nice to have an tile which is not looking like "cut off", maybe a bit round. That would look better.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Carnivius

Quote from: GUNHED on 19:28, 17 March 19
Pretty pretty. An idea: At the end oft the "grass" or "eart" layers it would be nice to have an tile which is not looking like "cut off", maybe a bit round. That would look better.  :)
I have those but have cut them for now as being 'non-essential' for memory reasons but may add them back in later if I can (like if I choose to ditch the castle tiles altogether and focus the game purely in the forest leaving the castle for a 'sequel').  I'm trying to build it with 464 cassette non-multiload in mind.

GUNHED

Ah, you try to get all different tiles in one byte in the map, and maybe some of the bits are even status bits. It's always a pain to fit everything in 42 KB. Maybe make two parts? At the end of part one the player get's a code for part 2.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)