News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

So apparently the CPC isn't retro

Started by mr_lou, 12:38, 01 December 20

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

The other day we had a couple of friends over for dinner, and our C64 and Amstrad were still set up from previous weekend's retrogaming.
So I of course say to them: "Those are our retro computers", which spawned a longer debate. :)
"But those aren't retro" the guy says.
"Err.. what?", I replied.
"Retro is when you create something new that revives or relates to a style in the past. Those computers there are originals, not retro", he explained while pointing to the C64 and Amstrad CPC.

After some discussion we googled for the definition, and it would seem that he is indeed right. All definitions we could find seems to confirm what he says.
We of course tried to argue that: "Ok, but can't something that looks retro look retro because it actually IS old?", but he didn't budge.
"No, it's still not retro. If anything, it's classic" he insisted.
Made me think of @ukmarkh  who apparently then seems to be the only one with a correct YouTube channel name: "Classic Gaming".

In other words....  the new C64 mini is actually retro then, because it's a new thing with a retro design. It is reviving the C64 - ergo retro. But the original C64 is not retro. It is original. Can be called classic.

Thoughts? :)

Gryzor

Huh, things you never knew :D

Apparently yes they are right.

Further reflecting on it though; although I'm used to referring to them as retro, if I really think about it retro is not old but new, indeed... So the whole retro scene is kind of... wrong? And how about us playing on them computers? The game itself may be old but the playing takes place now, so....? :D

Axelay

Quote from: mr_lou on 12:38, 01 December 20Retro is when you create something new that revives or relates to a style in the past.

Doesn't that more accurately describe recently released games than 'classic' though?

Gryzor

Probably, yes, but I feel we're getting deep into semantics now. Creating a retro-looking game: retro. Creating a game running on an old computer: ??

mr_lou

That is indeed where the irony is huge.

New games released for PC that is designed to look pixelated - but also uses less-than-a-pixel movement + tons of shaders and light effects - those are retro!
Meanwhile.... can you call a CPC game retro? I don't think so, because it's not "designed" to look old - there are simply no other options on that platform.

I dunno.... I think the word will be redefined in the future.  :)

Bryce

The word Retro comes from Retrograde which means to go backwards in design/style instead of forwards. So yes, we use the word wrongly, Classic would be the correct term, but who cares.

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Sounds like pedantic garbage from a grammar nazi to be honest.
Stuff like this doesn't bother me as such, however the same people that would point this out would have no using words out of context and most people they spout them to don't bat an eyelid.  :D
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

mr_lou

Well I don't consider myself a grammar nazi, but I admit I hate when words are used wrongly.

Like "homebrew". I hate that "homebrew" is used broadly nowadays to simply define "emulators with pirated roms".

But to me, retro will always be "the real thing". All of those pixelated PC games are nothing but copycat wannabe's.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: mr_lou on 14:44, 01 December 20
Well I don't consider myself a grammar nazi, but I admit I hate when words are used wrongly.

Like "homebrew". I hate that "homebrew" is used broadly nowadays to simply define "emulators with pirated roms".

But to me, retro will always be "the real thing". All of those pixelated PC games are nothing but copycat wannabe's.

You do realise you just contradicted yourself, right? ;)  :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

mr_lou

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 14:45, 01 December 20
You do realise you just contradicted yourself, right? ;) :laugh:

Well yes, that was the point.

TotO

Said of a style, a fashion inspired by what was done into the past.
The Spectrum Next and the C64 One are retro-computers.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

mr_lou

Quote from: TotO on 15:20, 01 December 20
Said of a style, a fashion inspired by what was done into the past.
The Spectrum Next and the C64 One are retro-computers.

Yeah, and I guess the Mega65 too.

Skunkfish

Vintage computer is probably the best term for the CPC...
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Gryzor

I did google definitions for 'vintage' earlier, it didn't stick either :D

Bryce

Grammar Pedant:

Quote from: mr_lou on 14:44, 01 December 20Well I don't consider myself a grammar nazi, but I admit I hate when words are used wrongly incorrectly.

:)

Bryce.

mr_lou

We also discussed other labels... such as veteran and even antique.   :D

To be antique it has to be at least 100 years old... which we knew.
"Veteran" is used to describe cars older than 25 years.... so maybe the CPC is a veteran computer?  ;D

Skunkfish

I like definition 2 below.

vintage
adjective Definition of vintage (Entry 2 of 2)

1 of wine  : of, relating to, or produced in a particular vintage

2 : of old, recognized, and enduring interest, importance, or quality : classic

3a : dating from the past : old b : outmoded, old-fashioned

4 : of the best and most characteristic —used with a proper noun
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 13:52, 01 December 20
The word Retro comes from Retrograde which means to go backwards in design/style instead of forwards. So yes, we use the word wrongly incorrectly, Classic would be the correct term, but who cares.

;D

Bryce

Quote from: mr_lou on 16:28, 01 December 20
;D

:D

Veteran (at least in English) refers to a person who was part of an event in history.

Vintage doesn't specify a particular age, but that something is from a distinct time/year. So vintage could be used. I prefer classic however, as it suggests an elevated status.

Bryce.

Gryzor

How about the term our significant others use, i. e. "Mouldy crap"?

Strident

Sadly, their use of the word retro is a bit retro. They need to update their dictionary.
8-Bit Adventure Gamer / 8bitAG.com - 8bitAG.com/info - 8bitAG.com/games

Carnivius

Quote from: Bryce on 16:32, 01 December 20
:D

Veteran (at least in English) refers to a person who was part of an event in history.

Vintage doesn't specify a particular age, but that something is from a distinct time/year. So vintage could be used. I prefer classic however, as it suggests an elevated status.

Bryce.
I use 'vintage' when trading in 1980's action figures (transformers, gi joe, thundercats, masters of the universe etc)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

reidrac

I always say that I love making games for classic systems; not retro.

Vintage is also OK, I guess.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

robcfg

Old computers.

Ok, not as fashionable as 'classic', but that's what they are as much as we love them  ;D

AMSDOS

I think of the CPC as a Microcomputer, which I thought what divided it from a PCs, though apparantely Amstrad decided to have Personal Computer in there too!  :-X

There seems to be similar debate regarding Computer Generations too with some suggesting computing from the 80s til now is 5th Generation according to geeksforgeeks.com, others have computers between 1972 to 2010 as 4th Generation according to computerhope.com with the 5th generation from 2010 to now.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3