News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Tandy CoCO Amdisk !

Started by 00WReX, 07:50, 19 January 14

Previous topic - Next topic

00WReX

As a fan of the Tandy Color Computer series (CoCo 1,2,&3), I was looking through and early
edition of the HOT CoCo magazine (July 1983) and found an interesting advertisement...

It was for a dual 3" drive called an Amdisk of all things...

[attach=2]

(click to enlarge)

I have never seen or heard of one and would expect they would go for a small fortune if one
came up today.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

00WReX

The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Gryzor

How interesting... Of course let's keep in mind that 3" drives/disks were not Amstrad's inventions, so they're bound to have come up for various systems...

fgbrain

Did you notice "624 kb per disk" is twice the size of the AMSDOS format ?
This must be an 80 track drive..?!
_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

Bryce

I mentioned these drives a while back. There's some info and links here: Wanted: CF2 disk drive ASAP

Bryce.

00WReX

Quote from: Bryce on 22:12, 19 January 14
I mentioned these drives a while back. There's some info and links here: Wanted: CF2 disk drive ASAP

Bryce.

Bryce, That's almost identical info...I don't remember seeing your post (although it looks like I've copied it  :D ).
The Amdisk 3 for the CoCo actually looks neat with the dual drive setup.

Quote from: fgbrain on 22:04, 19 January 14
Did you notice "624 kb per disk" is twice the size of the AMSDOS format ?
This must be an 80 track drive..?!

That size is for both disk's combined I'm assuming.

so 624kb divided by 4 disk sides = 156kb.

This is very close to what we get on the CPC with an IBM format.

IBM: 160k single-sided. 40 tracks of eight 512-byte sectors each. Sectors numbered &01 to &08. Provided for compatibility with CP/M-86 (and DR-DOS 1.0). Used by very few CPC purchasers, but Locomotive Software stated that this was invaluable for cross-assembly. The useable capacity is 158k.

Disc format - CPCWiki

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Bryce

Yes, they certainly weren't 624K per disk. It was the usual advertisers twisting the facts to make it look as good as possible. I've only ever once seen one of these (back in the 90's) and it was connected to an Atari 800XL as far as I can remember.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Well, it wasn't really an advertising twist; it says "624K system" pointing at the entire unit, akeen to the "xxxKB/MB online storage" they also used.

fgbrain

No, it has double density 80track mode!! Read the review..
If you connect an 80-track, double-density, double-sided drive to the system using DOS/XL, you can get 736K.
_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

TFM

Yes, as the Joyce hat 0.7 MB format on its 3" drives too.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

QuoteHOT CoCo magazine
then have a hot Coco post :

I've read those "Coco" had quite a nice success in USA, is that true ? got some "modern" games on those ?

Quote624 kb
bits or bytes ? that's why we used the octet in France.

Bryce

Thanks MacDeath, for making a perfectly innocent Retro forum NSFW! :D

Bryce.

MacDeath

I don't care, I can't consult this forum at work.

Promotion !!!

;D

Promotions | Know Your Meme

Gryzor

Time I put an age restriction in the registration process... :D