News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

The Jewel of the Five Suns (Megadrive) Soon for the CPC

Started by VincentGR, 22:48, 12 November 22

Previous topic - Next topic

VincentGR

Do you remember this one?
Loved it, even it was just one line in Basic for the CPC.
Kostas is porting it to the Megadrive, and soon back to CPC in assembly.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1205167222/the-jewel-of-the-five-suns?ref=dfvvyj&token=f29cd30b

Prodatron

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

dthrone

Am I reading that right, 100,000+EUR stretch goals :o

Gryzor

Quote from: dthrone on 22:45, 13 November 22Am I reading that right, 100,000+EUR stretch goals :o
That's quite a stretch (ba-dum tsss)

Gryzor

CPC development stopped, PC focus from now on. 

andycadley

Shame, though I can't say I'm surprised. If you're expecting a CPC game to make more than a handful of change, you're going to be disappointed. You could make more with a MegaDrive game, but it needs to look the part rather than just using graphics intended for the CPC.

Gryzor

Has anyone heard from the creator? I mean, he cited lack of interest from the community but I haven't seen him posting anywhere apart from his Twitter TL... 

abalore

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:53, 01 February 24Has anyone heard from the creator? I mean, he cited lack of interest from the community but I haven't seen him posting anywhere apart from his Twitter TL...
There is no lack of interest in the game, there is lack of interest in funding it with 100K+ euro

Gryzor

Quote from: abalore on 16:47, 01 February 24
Quote from: Gryzor on 09:53, 01 February 24Has anyone heard from the creator? I mean, he cited lack of interest from the community but I haven't seen him posting anywhere apart from his Twitter TL...
There is no lack of interest in the game, there is lack of interest in funding it with 100K+ euro
Was the CPC version placed at the 100k stretch goal? 

abalore

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:53, 01 February 24

The goals are for characters, abilities and weapons:

2500 Knight
5000 Wizard
8750 Thief
43750 Spear, Javelin and Lance
108750 Add special attacks for different characters

So no, I don't think you have a full CPC game with all features for less.

Gryzor

Quote from: abalore on 17:11, 01 February 24
Quote from: Gryzor on 16:53, 01 February 24

The goals are for characters, abilities and weapons:

2500 Knight
5000 Wizard
8750 Thief
43750 Spear, Javelin and Lance
108750 Add special attacks for different characters

So no, I don't think you have a full CPC game with all features for less.
That was my understanding, so it was not an issue of 100k. I don't even recall the CPC port being part of the KS campaign? 

abalore

Then there is a problem with the procedurally generated levels. They are shit, basically. For 100k I think the less you can ask is some level design work.

Gryzor

I see what you're saying, but how are you sure that the actual levels are going to be actual shit? 😁

abalore

Well, first, I based my opinion on 25+ years of profesional game development and many tries of generating interesting procedural content. Secondly, in the fact of having a 2 and a half minutes of promo video with barely 10 seconds of gameplay which honestly doesn't look very promising. 
Then, in comments like this "The original project features 111 enemies. Originally created to be 9x9 pixels in size to weigh the good old Amstrad CPC with my first colorful version of the game as little as possible." and "I tried to create a tiny dungeon crawler in 10 lines of code for an Amstrad CPC computer on its native Locomotive Basic Programming Language. The result was... strangely satisfying for some friends of mine" what in my opinion reflects from little to no knowledge of how the CPC graphics and the Locomotive BASIC work.
Sure, it's just my opinion. Maybe he can provide that satisfying BASIC game so I can test it and change my thoughts.

Gryzor

andycadley

Procedurally generated levels can work, hundreds of Rogue-likes over the years have shown it can be fine.

My biggest issue (aside from the sheer lunacy of thinking you'll get 100K+ euros) is that there is very little consideration for what might have to be cut to fit it in to a CPC. Ridiculous stretch goals are one thing on the PC, where you basically can just throw more and more features in and never really run out of resources. But you'd be miffed if you invested heavily only to find the 16 playable characters ended up being 4 because there simply isn't RAM available for that on a 464.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

The big thing in homebrew procgen is wave function collapse (it really isn't as complex as it sounds) right now.

A bit hefty for a CPC tbh, especially the texture-based wfc. Tile based might be doable.