Thalamus Digital Publishing Ltd - The rebirth of the old retro gaming publisher!

Started by Neil79, 18:02, 29 August 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil79

QuoteBetween 1980 and 1990 many of us had the pleasure of playing games released by Thalamus(wiki), such as Hawkeye, Armalyte, Delta, Nobby the Aardvark, Creatures on the C64 and Hawkeye, Armalyte: The Final Run and Venom Wing on the Amiga. But as a complete shock to us we've recently been contacted via our Email that Thalamus is being reborn as Thalamus Digital Publishing Ltd! Yes this is no April fools or some sort of dream, as we have been exclusively told by them they will be bringing back some of the old back catalogue in various ways, including conversions to the Spectrum Next.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2017/08/thalamus-digital-publishing-ltd-rebirth.html
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

chinnyhill10

Slightly sore point for us Amstrad users as the company couldn't have cared less about our machines.  :D
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 01:25, 30 August 17
Slightly sore point for us Amstrad users as the company couldn't have cared less about our machines.  :D

Kinda seconding this. I generally didn't get other 8bit envy until Armalyte came along.
So unless they've something Amstrad related in their plans, this means nothing to me at all.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

||C|-|E||

Well, we have X-Out, that is very awesome  :D (we could argue that C64 is still much better, but...  :'( )

Joseman

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 16:36, 31 August 17
Well, we have X-Out, that is very awesome  :D (we could argue that C64 is still much better, but...  :'( )

I like X-Out!! a game incredibly underrated.

I'm amazed every time i play with the loads of items and weapons that you can collect and shoot at the same time, and with a lot of enemies on screen!

pity the bug on the shop...

Shaun M. Neary

Spectrum owners really got fucked over on Armalyte though.  :laugh:

They were given a demo of it on a Your Sinclair covertape... for a game that never saw final release!
At least with Amstrad, we didn't miss what we never got.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

||C|-|E||

Quote from: Joseman on 17:26, 31 August 17
I like X-Out!! a game incredibly underrated.

I'm amazed every time i play with the loads of items and weapons that you can collect and shoot at the same time, and with a lot of enemies on screen!

pity the bug on the shop...

That bug allowed me to finish the game!  :laugh: :laugh:  And thanks to the infinite money I had a lot of fun customizing my ship  :)

Gryzor

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:50, 01 September 17
Spectrum Next? Pfffft.

Not meaning to threadjack, but tell me I'm not the only one who thinks the Spectrum Next is an overhyped, overpriced glorified raspberry pi?

TMR

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 19:57, 01 September 17Not meaning to threadjack, but tell me I'm not the only one who thinks the Spectrum Next is an overhyped, overpriced glorified raspberry pi?

You might not be alone but, considering it's an FPGA-based machine and using a custom board that'll mount inside a stock 48K Spectrum case, that makes it more similar to hardware like the MCC 216, Turbo Chameleon or MIST than a RasPi. i like the look of it personally, but my list of machines i want to play with is already [ahem] quite large. =-)

||C|-|E||

There was already a discussion about that, yes... I am also one of those that don´t like FPGA implementations at all. I mean, it is great that they exist because many people love them and they can have a new "Spectrum", or whatever you call it, but it is definitely not for me. I like machines with discrete components or, at least, a hardwired ASIC.

Gryzor

I do like FPGAs - my MiST was the best buy I had done in many years. But a Spectrum/CPC/ST/whatever, it is not. Of course they're getting a new case, but I'm not too enthusiastic about its appearance or ergonomics...

Shaun M. Neary

For the price the Spectrum Next is going for, i'd buy 2 or 3 grey +2's. If you think you're going to notice THAT much of a difference in 30 year old graphics on either SCART or HDMI, you're out of you're mind! =D

Gryzor

Certainly not, but SCART is getting rare these days, on the other hand...