Myth
Bubble Bobble
Commando
Zynaps
Rex
Ant attack
Rebel Star 2

nurgle:
Instead of listing software titles (honestly, I don't know enough about speccy games), here is my positive comment about the Spectrum:

What I find really amazing about the Spectrum is that a useable home computer could be THAT low-tech and THAT cheap. It's reduced to the absolute minimum and cramped into a very small case, yet it can do all the cool and useful things you can expect from a home computer system of it's time. It really amazes me what the engineers of the Spectrum have accomplished in this respect.

Of course the Spectrum is technically inferior to the CPC, but I think this comparison is really unfair. Obviously the design goals were very different.

One area where the Spectrum engineers have failed miserably later on is mass storage. The Microdrive is probably the only mass storage system used on home computers that is more esoteric than 3" floppies. Other peripherals were awfull as well (aluminium paper printer, cartridge interface with only 16kb, incompatible Joystick interface, ...).

robcfg:

--- Quote ---The Microdrive is probably the only mass storage system used on home computers that is more esoteric than 3" floppies.
--- End quote ---

Have you seen Mitsumi's 2.8" Quickdisks?

They usually came without protecting sleeve and the information wasn't stored in sectors and tracks, but rather sequentially in a spiral. Now you can call that esoteric!  :laugh:

By the way, there was a Quickdisk unit for several 8-bit computers, like the ZX Spectrum, MSX, Dragon, C64... called the Triton Quickdisk. Was it available for the CPC?

Devilmarkus:
How much capacity did a microdisk have?
Any infos?

robcfg:
The ones used by Nintendo in its Famicom Disk System were 64kb per face if I remember correctly.

Computer formats could hold from 128kb to 256kb.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version