News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Virtuaverse (and more)

Started by Gryzor, 14:41, 13 May 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Been waiting for Virtuaverse (GOG, $15) for a while, because of MBR (MBR is great, MBR is *good*). If you like synth/chip/heavy metal then MBR is your guy. Anyhow, he did the story and music for it and it looked bloody great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7QRFWD8BEQ

So I've been playing it a little and it's great indeed. If you like your point'n'click adventures, do give it a go!

Also, I was thinking it would be nice, perhaps, if we started sharing such retro-styles games here. For instance I've also been playing 80's Overdrive on my Switch. 80's Overdrive is like a synthwave version of Outrun, very retro-feel. Lovely stuff. So if you have any suggestions, add them here - or perhaps open a new thread :)

Loki

Bought this recently, was looking forward to playing it but my laptop's kinda done for and keeps shutting itself down when playing. Planning on upgrading to a proper PC soon though, and this will be one thing I'm looking forward to playing on it when I do!

Love Master Boot Record's music as well, pretty much my main reason for buying this game. Floppy Disk Overdrive album was amazing tbh, even by MBR's usual standards, also really into those game music covers he's done. Highly recommend people check out his music if you haven't already, especially anybody who grew up with heavy music and / or video game soundtracks. He's on Bandcamp via the link here if anyone wants it, the albums are great value for money too.

https://masterbootrecord.bandcamp.com/

Gryzor

Can't count the times that 486DX has gotten me through an intense workout, his music really gets your blood going. It's really interesting that MBR has gotten quite a following - his music is not exactly mainstream!

He's also on Spotify, though not all his albums are there, I think.

Nich

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:41, 13 May 20
So I've been playing it a little and it's great indeed. If you like your point'n'click adventures, do give it a go!

Also, I was thinking it would be nice, perhaps, if we started sharing such retro-styles games here. So if you have any suggestions, add them here.

Gemini Rue is a point-and-click adventure from 2010 with blocky, retro-style graphics and a strong Blade Runner influence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foZp9ToBewA

It's perhaps a bit easy to complete but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Gryzor

Oh yes, Gemini Rue was very atmospheric and true to the retro feel!

Loki

Got a new PC last month as planned and have just completed VirtuaVerse and wow, that is an experience. Everything about the game is kinda like sensory overload, the visuals, soundtrack, the overall feel of the game, it's amazing stuff and tbh I'm disappointed it's now over! I love how there's lots of references to old technology and computers as well, as well as paying tribute to the old Amiga demoscene and cracking scene and stuff. Once the game gets going, it really comes into its own, incredible game and a great old school experience, I definitely recommend this. Just bought the soundtrack as well, that's on Bandcamp for 1 euro along with all MBR's other albums.